Author Topic: Fishing in a Nor'easter  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing in a Nor'easter
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I awoke at 2 this morning to sleet pelting my bedroom window. There was no getting back to sleep after that so I made my coffee and took my time getting ready. I hit the road at 3:15 to meet Ethan in Vernon at 4 this morning. The driving conditions weren't as bad as I expected. There was plenty of traction on the inch of sleet that had accumulated on the roads. As soon as I crossed the river into East Hartford, the sleet turned to snow and WOW did it snow. Even being all alone on the road with 4 wheel drive and brand new tires, I could do about 1/2 of the speed limit.

Ethan was right on time and were back on the road quickly. We were on the ice around 4:30. It was snowing so hard we had a hard time seeing where we were going and had to guess at where we were supposed to set up. I set the shanty up while E drilled the holes. We sure were glad we brought the shanty, there is no way we would have been able to stay out there in the wind without it... Inside it was much warmer and zero wind.

Things gradually changed over from snow to sleet, it made checking the tip ups down right painfull. The sleet pellets were larger than I'd ever seen and the wind had them moving at about a 45* angle, just enough to get a face full. After a while, it was plain to see that we wouldn't be able to keep up with cleaning the holes. We just sat back in the shanty and watch mother nature do her thing.

No fish, no flags, no nothing except some wind burn. We stuck it out till 9 and packed it up. We had close to 6 inches of new snow and sleet on top of what Thursday's storm had dropped. That sure made it fun pulling the shanty back to the truck, right E? :D

Anyways, like I said, it beat sitting at home. Even with no fish, it's always cool being out in the middle of the worst weather Mother Nature can throw at you and being warm, dry and sharing some laughs.

Along the way home, I stopped by Wethersfield Cove to see how the conditions were. Starting by the barn, I was able to walk out 50 yards or so with no trouble at all  ;D I popped a hole with my spud bar and found 4" as far as I wanted to go... It going to be a good week  :tipup:

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing in a Nor'easter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:20 PM »
Great stuff Blake, fish or no fish you braved the conditions..

Hardcore fishin at it's finest!!
Andrew

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Man vs. Wild icefishing style!

I thought of getting out today myself since here in Vermont we didn't get lots of snow, but it was really windy.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Another beautiful day on the ice, fishin is fishin.  Heading out tuesday pm to make up for today.  You thought the shanty was a bad haul?  Man am I glad I didnt bring the stove or any food to cook  ;D

Blaine sunday, monday tuesday anytime, and apparently the weather doesnt matter.

E

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:44 PM »
E,
Let me know when ya got time hit the eye lakes once the ice is good!!!! You guys are nuts  :laugh:.
Lots of good crappie posts here, figured I'd register .

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Very cool blaine,  I was with the kid who came into your shop last week checking out the daiwa stuff he wants to get.

I was just wondering about wethersfield- need to pick up 2 pounds of shiners too  8)  Whats your number?

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:08 AM »
Definatly hard core! Spent the day on the couch watching football while the girlfriend worked on a big pot of soup. by next weekend most lakes and ponds should be locked up, saving on the gas. Paul I second the eye lakes.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:30 AM »
Nick, the number at the shop is 860-296-0110. I'll be there today after 10. Gimme a call if you need anything.  :)

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Way to get after them boys!! You crazy sumb*&^%$s!!  DD 8)
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Blaine and E Im jealous.  Finally put all the deer hunting stuff away and its time to hit the hard stuff.  Blaine you guys got suckers at the shop yet?  Any news on the hollow? 
here pikey pikey...BIG DEAD BAIT...

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Thats what you call hardcore!
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Way to go!  :bow:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:06 AM »
Blaine you guys got suckers at the shop yet?  Any news on the hollow? 

The Hollow has been fishing for a week now   :o ;D I have small suckers in stock, the big ones should be in today... My distributor was supposed to be getting them yesterday.

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:01 AM »
 ;D thanks.  Will be in friday to stock up.  How bout BIG shiners and thats with a capital B ;)
here pikey pikey...BIG DEAD BAIT...

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:48 PM »
hey at least you got out  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.