Author Topic: Runaway Snowdog!!! and a small miracle.  (Read 5311 times)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Runaway Snowdog!!! and a small miracle.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:04 PM »
    Gunflint it appears as though the ice Gods had your back. Great story with a happy ending 
John

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Has your blood pressure gotten back to anywhere near normal?? :flex: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:54 PM »
That would suck to have to chase down!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Glad you made it out alive!  This is why we all need gopros.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:30 AM »
Glad you made it out alive!  This is why we all need gopros.

no kidding. lol 

glad it wasn't worse for you and sustained injury's! 

how fast can a dog run anyhow?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:43 AM »
no kidding. lol 

glad it wasn't worse for you and sustained injury's! 

how fast can a dog run anyhow?

About 20 mph, which is far faster than I do.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline KZ3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Gunflint, just a heads up this is a known problem with the snowdog.  I have this happen to me and many others do as well.  It seems if moisture builds up on the engine and if it gets really cold it will take off.  Before starting mine I check a little lever that the throttle spring attaches to below the gas tank.  Left side of the machine if you a sitting behind it.   It only moves about a 1/4", but if it doesn't move at all then I know the dog will take off.  If I'm out on the lake I usually just start and stop it several times to build up engine heat and it will work.  I sprayed it down this year to prevent moister and so far so good, but it really hasn't been in the conditions to test it out. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Gunflint, just a heads up this is a known problem with the snowdog.  I have this happen to me and many others do as well.  It seems if moisture builds up on the engine and if it gets really cold it will take off.  Before starting mine I check a little lever that the throttle spring attaches to below the gas tank.  Left side of the machine if you a sitting behind it.   It only moves about a 1/4", but if it doesn't move at all then I know the dog will take off.  If I'm out on the lake I usually just start and stop it several times to build up engine heat and it will work.  I sprayed it down this year to prevent moister and so far so good, but it really hasn't been in the conditions to test it out.

It would be no problem if I would have attached the kill-switch lanyard. I am going to be a bit more careful.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Gunflint, you're a brave man for sharing, thanks for the story.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Gunflint, this is quite the story and I would never have thought that would have happened.  Why does Wylie Coyote and the Roadrunner come to my mind as you are running after it??  Glad it came back all in one piece!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:04 AM »
What type of throttle does that unit use? Thumb control like a sled? Glad to hear you didn't lose your gear or run someone over.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:18 AM »
What type of throttle does that unit use? Thumb control like a sled? Glad to hear you didn't lose your gear or run someone over.

Hand lever with a cable to the actual throttle at the Briggs and Stratton motor.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:26 AM »
So it has a tether kill switch and it wasnt being used?you will now but you couldve learned a harder lesson first.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Gunflint,

I'm so glad you weren't hurt and all your gear is in one piece!

The SnowDog is no joke.  I ALWAYS use the brake when starting.  That is, even when I have to use choke, I depress the brake, fold the handle forward, engage the choke, and then hit the starter.  Once the motor is warm, I then flip the choke off and fold the handle back.  I do not release the brake until I am in the sled.

The brakes are not great.  I'm on my second set.  And, I don't think this set will last the season.  But, that unit is a scary SOB without brakes.  It almost bucked me off three or four times last year.

Be safe!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Hand lever with a cable to the actual throttle at the Briggs and Stratton motor.

So it's a fixed throttle like a lawn mower, set it and forget it type thing? I'd swap that for a sprung twist grip or thumb lever for sure.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:35 AM »
No.  It has a hand lever throttle with a spring return.

Something obviously froze or stuck.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:43 AM »
To be clear...IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR!!!

I screwed up and did not use the kill-switch tether that comes as standard equipment.

That is the reason that I thought twice about posting the story (it was my fault). I was the goon left staring at a running Snowdog.

But, I thought the laugh for the group at my expense was worth the obvious fact of informing everybody on Ice Shanty that I can be pretty stupid sometimes.

Plus, I don't think anybody here was surprised by that fact. ::) ::) ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Gunflint, have you gotten with the manufacturer about this problem?? It sounds like several others have experienced the same thing??

I think that it was my fault.  I could certainly have prevented this from happening several ways. But, I am glad it turned out so well.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Helpless feeling for sure.i cant imagine watching the snowdog and all your gear going on a solo mission.

I've had dreams like that but I'm in the back seat of a car and can't get to the steering wheel and brakes!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:49 AM »
It may be your fault for not using the kill tether, but what caused the throttle to get stuck wide open?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:50 AM »
It may be your fault for not using the kill tether, but what caused the throttle to get stuck wide open?

I was manual starting it (pulling the cord) with mittens on and I think I hit the manual throttle lever near the rip cord. I am not sure, but it still was preventable. I don't plan on posting this story twice! ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:56 AM »
To be clear...IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR!!!

I screwed up and did not use the kill-switch tether that comes as standard equipment.

That is the reason that I thought twice about posting the story (it was my fault). I was the goon left staring at a running Snowdog.

But, I thought the laugh for the group at my expense was worth the obvious fact of informing everybody on Ice Shanty that I can be pretty stupid sometimes.

Plus, I don't think anybody here was surprised by that fact. ::) ::) ::)

I'm confused? Did the throttle stick or was it operator error? I get that you didn't clip your tether but if there was nothing wrong with the equipment like a frozen/bound throttle you shouldn't need a tether just standing there with the unit idling.

For what its worth, there's nothing wrong with admitting failure or laughing at yourself... It's how most of us learn, glad you shared.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I was manual starting it (pulling the cord) with mittens on and I think I hit the manual throttle lever near the rip cord. I am not sure, but it still was preventable. I don't plan on posting this story twice! ;D

Oh, gotcha... there is a suicide throttle on it, just not normally used...

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Got a chuckle out of this, glad all ended well. Evey time I start my homebuilt one, I look ay the bright red tether, safely clipped to the handlebars.  One day I'll be writing the same story.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Gotta Ban those freekin' things. They're deadly! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:00 AM »
After trudging and catching a nice limit of Lakers, I finally got back to my Snowdog and hitched everything up for the ride home.

BUT, when I started it up I  must have hit the throttle and the gas stuck wide open and my Snowdog took off across the lake towing everything and leaving me standing with my mouth open in disbelief. :o

I watched scooting across the ice with my Livescope, camera, Nils Auger, etc. and finally started running through knee-deep snow after it. It could go a couple miles on that lake if it would have gone straight, but luckily it started to veer slightly left. I was running as hard as I could and hit slush but kept on going.  After a while the Snowdog and sleds disappeared in a bay to my right. I kept on running, imagining what will happen when it hits a boulder or tree on the shoreline. As I started around the point of the bay, here comes the Snowdog again! Somehow it had glanced off a cedar and that turned in around and it was heading back out of the bay towards the lake.

Luckily, it again veered to the right aiming directly towards the shore. I was just standing there wondering what would happen next. I saw a small miracle. There was an 8 foot opening in the woods with a steep upwards bank. The Snowdog and sleds hit the hole and started uphill, but the before it went 20 feet it hit a boulder and laid over on its side in waist-deep snow. It STOPPED and sat with the throttle still wide-open but not going anywhere.

I finally was able to run up to its track and follow it to the shoreline and hit the "kill switch." I then just sat down with my chest heaving. I disconnected the two sleds and pulled them back to the lake. I spent 30 minutes digging out the Snowdog and getting it turned around. I checked the throttle cable and things seemed normal. Finally, I got it started back up and it was once again my obedient Dog. I was relieved that it actually worked with no apparent damage to either the Snowdog or the sleds and contents! I was also glad not to have to walk another 3 miles back to the cabin across a windy lake.

I got everything hitched back up and started home - grateful that I was in one piece, the Snowdog still worked and I had a limit of lakers to clean once I got back to the cabin.

I debated about sharing the story, but I thought it was more than worth it to give all of you a laugh on me.   ;D ;D ;D

Snowdog and sleds safely home.

2 nice Lakers.

Nothing personal, but you had me laughing... I know it sucks, but it is kind of funny ( maybe not to you) anyway, glad you and your self musher are OK and no worst for the wear... time to install a boat style kill switch to that bad puppy.. again, sorry for laughing and glad you are OK... ( PS, I though I was the only one stuff like that happened too)
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:16 AM »
Glad it all worked out but  for some reason it's always funny when it happens to someone else.  Just saying

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:18 AM »

This has Patrick McManus written all over it...  ;D

Totally..........      :woot: :woot:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Nothing personal, but you had me laughing... I know it sucks, but it is kind of funny ( maybe not to you) anyway, glad you and your self musher are OK and no worst for the wear... time to install a boat style kill switch to that bad puppy.. again, sorry for laughing and glad you are OK... ( PS, I though I was the only one stuff like that happened too)

No, I DID think it was funny, after it was all over. What would have been the most funny wouldn't have been a video of the Snowdog going solo. The video of my face watching it disappear would have have been precious.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Piketipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Wow what a story, I can't imagine the feeling watching all of your gear sail off in the distance and there isn't anything you can do about it!

Glad everything worked out and thanks for sharing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.