Author Topic: How Often?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How Often?
« on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Was wondering how often you might lend a hand to someone struggling to catch fish.
I helped out a guy and his kids on Saturday, invited them to fish by us, gave them a few jigs and some of my bait.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How Often?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Whenever I can I do.
Just couple weeks ago. A couple with a young kid came out onto this lake we were fishing and were having a hard time locating any fish, I told them to set up in the holes we had drilled and showed them what to use and they left the ice with enough for a meal or 2.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Good karma

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:15 AM »
If somebody is fishing with their kids I always give some tips and maybe a few of my spots to put the kids on fish. Kids have more fun when they're catching so I try to give some good tips to get them started. If somebody else is struggling and they ask, I will usually give a few tips on what bait I'm using or how im working the bait. My spots are generally kept quiet if there's no kids. How much information I share is usually dictated by their attitude. If somebody is friendly, new to fishing or shares some good tips of their own I might give up a spot or two. The guys that don't even say hi or just ask where I caught the fish usually get told in the mouth or Nunya Bay

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 AM »
If somebody is fishing with their kids I always give some tips and maybe a few of my spots to put the kids on fish. Kids have more fun when they're catching so I try to give some good tips to get them started. If somebody else is struggling and they ask, I will usually give a few tips on what bait I'm using or how im working the bait. My spots are generally kept quiet if there's no kids. How much information I share is usually dictated by their attitude. If somebody is friendly, new to fishing or shares some good tips of their own I might give up a spot or two. The guys that don't even say hi or just ask where I caught the fish usually get told in the mouth or Nunya Bay
Yep, that's how I am.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I'm always down to share bait, presentation, and even location (not necessarily GPS coordinates) of where I am catching fish (if I am catching fish).  I have kiddos and have gotten help over the years with getting on the fish.  I don't mind sharing information especially if it goes both ways.  This thing we are all crazy about called ice fishing is too fun to take too seriously!  Unless it's a tournament or you are some crazy yahoo worried about bragging to your buddies or filling your overstocked freezer...feel free to ask.  Just don't be surprised if I ask for some intel in return or at least for a funny joke!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Anything you can do to help someone with kids is a plus!
Getting kids interested in fishing, no matter what type of fishing, will reap its own rewards down the line.

What I find ironic is that kids, in general, have an innate interest in learning new things (like fishing) and many parents can't find the time to show their kids what they can do.

Then these same parents complain that their kids aren't excelling in any outdoor sports...D'oH! ???

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:15 AM »
kids yes.  other people.  if they initiate the conversation. 

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Depends on the attitude and approach of the fisherman. I had some folks share spots and techniques with me in the past and it’s made me a better fisherman so I try to give that back when and if I can. I’ve met some great fisherman and built good friendships and fishing partners from a simple hello how are ya.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Anytime I have the chance, for all of the mentioned reasons and all of the above conditions! I do try to make it look as though mom or dad figured it out! ;)
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:48 AM »
At least once a year I see the father/son combo with a dead auger. Always happy to cut them as many holes as needed...except for one time last year when I used up all my batteries and had to put the hand crank back on and cut a few holes through 24". Vermont has strict bait laws so I always look for a group of younger anglers to give my bait to when I'm headed off the ice.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Some of my absolute very best fishing trips involve me fighting a fish and letting a kid land the fish. Then the kids  usually stick around and visit or they go get there fishing gear and come fish with me. If their parents are cool, they are welcome to come fish too. Usually the parents do their thing, the kids end up catching some fish with me and then they run back all excited to their parents to share their story and then the parents come fish with us  lol!

I didnt know any of these kids until I asked them if they wanted to real in a fish I had hooked...

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:32 PM »
I used to give fishing info in open forum so if any other person having the same problem finding and catching fish could take note.  Then I started to receive PM's stating I was giving too much info and that some day I will not be able to find a parking space because of the extra fishermen.  Some PM's were not very nice.   How selfish.  So now I don't use open forum I send PM's.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:59 AM »
All the time, I love taking out newbies and getting them into it. Helping a kid get on the fish or even an adult as long as they are cool, is a good feeling. I've drilled holes, given up my current spot, given kids jigs, I've even loaned out my flasher to kids. I have no problem sharing info or asking if I'm somewhere new or trying a different style or for a different species.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:50 AM »
used to a lot more but I have learned not to these days.  nothing like showing a buddy a good time on a hot bite, only to have them go back and bring friends.  integrity runs thin these days. mostly small couple hundred acre lakes around here.  little lakes can fall victim to "internet rotenone".  then your off to put in more time and money finding better fishing. everyone learns eventually. 

technique and tackle stuff is ok to share but your 10-20s are best not shared.   
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I will happily drill holes especially for people taking kids fishing and they're struggling with a hand auger. And try to give them pointers. I just remember back in the day when people with power augers help me out and also gave me pointers, remember to pass it on.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I could count the times I haven't a lot faster than the times I did!

If someone is struggling and could use a little help, or if a kid doesn't seem to be having fun, which happens more than it should, I will try to give them something to keep them busy. That's why I like to bring along an extra jigging rod. You never know what they are capable of until they try...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:27 PM »
More times than i can even count.. i fish 60 plus days a year on the ice(at least) and have helped tons of folks.. kids no kids, dogs no dogs.. like stated above its about the response of the person or the attitude they give off.. i have more fun giving people plastics and showing them electronics and tips. Matter of fact it happened yesterday. I was in the lot and a group of younger guys were just heading out. I asked what they were targetting and if they had a graph they said no. I suggested where to drill some holes and let them use my vex to get set up for depths. Long story short they chased flags all day and came over to say thanks even offered me a couple bucks which i refused. Told em to go buy a couple more lures instead. I was rewarded with a limit of some very healthy crappies.. funny how things work out  :tipup:

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Mr. Charlie you nailed it sir.. some of the best fishermen that i know were just a simple hello how r ya one day.. and years later we're great friends sharing tons of info and meeting new friends through friends.  That's what it's all about. Life's too short to be a knucklehead. That being said no I'm not putting anybody in the honey hole! 🤣🎣🎣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.