Author Topic: Nymphs  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nymphs
« on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Anyone ever try jigging with bead-headed nymphs or emergers that you would normally use for flycasting??  I was putting away some new flies I got for xmas, and the thought crossed my mind...might be worth a shot...

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nymphs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:00 AM »
Anyone ever try jigging with bead-headed nymphs or emergers that you would normally use for flycasting??  I was putting away some new flies I got for xmas, and the thought crossed my mind...might be worth a shot...

Yep, keep some Pheasant Tail Nymphs with bead heads and a stonefly of two in the box. Work good for Perch at times. Try em.

Offline litho_hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:57 PM »
yes, the bead-head pheasant and san juan worm got a home in my ice kit. good for late season finicky fussers.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Yep I tie my own.I've used a bead head pheasant tail as a dropper , say off a small pimple.I use a tungsten bead and lead wrap the hook shank.And I use a bead head pt with a soft hackle collar with some kind of "hot spot" tied into the body either red or orange.

Oh and the trout seem to like them too ;D

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Don't forget to throw a few scuds or freshwater shrimp patterns in there as well   ;D
they work great for perch that are used to feeding on such around the weeds.  I usually
use them on a dropper set up to have the weight of a jig to get them down to the strike
zone, and there is enough play to allow them to slowly drop/move on their own!

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2008, 09:50 AM »
i use bead headed nymphs and also caddis fly for bluegill.i usually put a swedish pimple on the bottom for weight then tie 2 flies about a foot then 18" on top.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:07 PM »
PTs tied on a 1/100oz jig work as well. Anything with alot of wrapped Peacock herl in and around the weeds is good, Scud attack, I think.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.