Author Topic: thorne bros rods  (Read 3026 times)

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
thorne bros rods
« on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I am looking at the thorne bros power noodle. I will mostly be using this for jumbo perch. I also am interested  in the perch sweethart rod. I would just like a little input on the rods. Which one would be better? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: thorne bros rods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I've owned the Perch Sweetheart for years-- no better perch rod IMO  :)
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Thanks alot townie. I am leaning towards this rod.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I use the panfish sweetheart for most of my fishing through the ice. I use it for walleye, perch, and crappies. The power noodle is nice but I think the sweetheart line is actually more sensitive if you are using feel rather than sight to detect your bites. But if you are using sight to detect bites than the power noodle is quite amazing. Also the new quiverstick is a sweetheart blank sanded down for even more lighteness and feel. If you are near the store go in and ask questions, handle the rods and see what feels, or fits you, best. The staff has always taken the time to make sure I get the proper rod and answer my questions when I go in and look around. Hope this helps

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Lotwfisher that information you gave me was very helpful. I would like to got to the store but I live in Vermont so I am a ways away! Thank you very much.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:15 PM »
I will guarantee that a panfish sweetheart won't let you down and is a great all around rod. Also if you purchase a spring bobber for the rod it can become one of your most versitile rods in your arsenal.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Wait a minute! I didnt think you Vermonners, like Mainahs, ate perch? BOT-Why exactly you want TB rod? They can make anything you want. You just need to decide and then order it. The Perch Sweetheart rod is designed for smallish jigging spoons and small jigging Raps. If that is what you want it for save your money and buy a $35 St Croix combo. By using something like 4# flourocarbon on that combo you would get plenty good sensitivity to feel perch hit that. It makes sense to spend money on tackle that helps you catch the most fish. I use TB rods every time I go icefishing. I just ordered another one today. I love em but they arent always necessary. Unless you are trying for a matched set, like a TH jigging rod and a TB dead stick rod, then it makes sense. Everyone wants to look cool. Good Luck whtever you decide.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I know this sounds odd but, we eat perch! The reason for a tb rod is I have found that over the years I like to buy good quality gear and take care of it. Hoping I will not have to replace it soon. You guys have given me some good information here. I will make my purchase this summer when the season is all over. I am also going to buy a good rod for jigging pike. If you guys want to chime in on pike jig rods feel free. Mr. seaguar,I see you are from Iowa, I thought you guys were just pig farmers! I thank you guys for the information. I am happy to be on here, I am learning alot. I am off to chase perch tomorrow.  vt snotrocket

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I`m right there with ya, buy good stuff and you only have to buy it once. And it also feels good to use quality gear. I`m 34 and when I was a kid, there WAS a lot of hogs in Iowa. Now they have mostly moved to NC and farmers have more cattle here. Seriously I thought that anti-perch sentiment was all of New England. Glad to be wrong, means I learned something.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Seriously I thought that anti-perch sentiment was all of New England. Glad to be wrong, means I learned something.

Huh? We love perch in MA!  ;D

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.