Author Topic: Anybody else get Oakleak grubs this year  (Read 1101 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody else get Oakleak grubs this year
« on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:57 PM »
Today I just went out in a woodlot I have on the property and in the stream that runs through it I was able to pick out of the leaf dams in the stream about 200 oakleaf grubs for this Winter ice season.  They work very well for perch and crappies.  Some days when mousiee's or spikes are a no go the oakleaf grubs may be the key.  Anyone else go out and get any oakleafs this year?

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anybody else get Oakleak grubs this year
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2021, 08:22 PM »
I never heard of Oakleak grubs before? Send me some so I can test them out and report.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2021, 05:35 AM »
I don’t think my wife would let me bring them in the house.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2021, 06:45 AM »
Roll 'um in breadcrumbs, cook with bic lighter. Just like french fries on the ice.  ;)D
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2021, 07:07 AM »
i've never seen them. do they live in the water or just get washed in there?

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Crane fly larvae. I've got a neighborhood creek that's always full of leaves. I should go and dig out a mess and see what I can find. Maybe Tuesday, when the temps are back in the 50s.

http://apthorpeoutdoors.blogspot.com/2017/02/oak-leaf-grubs-crane-fly-larvae.html
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2021, 11:49 PM »
They work great for pan fish as ice fishing bait.  I have also caught walleyes on them.  You can find them in the leaf dams in a free flowing creek where a tree branch or down log has made a dam of leaves.  The crane fly lays eggs late Summer, early Fall near the edge of the creek and when they hatch the oakleaf larva enters the leaves in the creek for the Winter.  Just remove a large two hand full of leaves and slowly sort through the leaves and you will find them.  They are not in the leaves above the water line, so take the leaves from the water surface to the bottom.  I have found them at different locations in NY.  They are not rare.  To store them collect some wet leaves from the creek and place them in a cooler along with a little water in the bottom of the cooler along with the grubs.  They eat the leaves so keep the leaves wet through the Winter.  PS: the oakleaf grubs do not eat beech leaves.  They will keep in the leaves in a cooler all the way into Spring when you can use them for trout fishing if there are any left.  Good luck give them a try.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:34 PM »
can they be found in sinkhole ponds in the woods.  or is running water a requirement.?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.