New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spring edibles foraging  (Read 10088 times)

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spring edibles foraging
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2021, 12:01 PM »
just got back from a walk thru the woods   I think the few that I am comfortable with picking are done for the year   It was a very good season for me with about 30lbs in the freezer   mushrooms on everything !

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2021, 02:24 PM »
62 and done  -  congratulations on your harvest ! I stopped trying to harvest due to too many already in my freezer from my huge HOW find of October 2.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Best season ever for me   Found the most and the best   must have been all this rain I've been cursing

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:04 PM »
A friend took my older daughter and I mushroom picking today (which I think will be my 5th time out, both this season and ever before).

We found some shaggy manes, which I tried this evening and have a very delicate flavor, plus some box elder oyster mushrooms (which I've had once before earlier this season, and have a meatier taste and texture).

We also found some stinging nettles, which I have not tried yet, but understand can be pretty good when boiled.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2021, 05:33 PM »
bogtrotter,
I remember several years ago on an elk hunting trip, I made blue grouse breast with coffee, onion and fresh cut shaggy mane mushroom gravy. Was outstanding, and one of the best camp meals I ever had! Love the “peppery” little buggers!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 25, 2022, 07:04 PM »
Nice find this morning while tree rat hunting. There's 2 more left that im gonna pluck later this week.
Any tips on making jerky from em' in da smoker? Found a recipe & looking for tips.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Sep 26, 2022, 04:58 AM »

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Sep 26, 2022, 06:04 PM »
Wow 😎
I live back in the woods you see

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Sep 26, 2022, 06:21 PM »

What variety is that beast…puffball?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Sep 26, 2022, 06:34 PM »
Tried em' once . Texture was like eating vaseline.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #40 on: Sep 26, 2022, 06:47 PM »
I saw a few turkey tails and chicken of the woods while putting up a ground blind.shaggy manes should be popping up i think too.i have never tried a puffball.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Sep 27, 2022, 05:00 AM »
Puffball parmigiana over pasta..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Sep 27, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Tried em' once . Texture was like eating vaseline.
Sounds like you didn’t cook it properly..

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2022, 06:16 AM »
Puffball parmigiana over pasta..

That parm recipe is the best thing you can do with puffballs. YUM.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 27, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Those look baked. I breaded & fried em' in bacon grease. Even on a veni- burger I couldn't do it. Are they firmer in da oven?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Sep 27, 2022, 04:29 PM »
They were egged, breaded and fried in olive oil. Taken out, and drained.
 Put on cookie sheet with some sauce and grated parmigiana..
Put over pasta and more sauce.. @)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Oct 04, 2022, 04:57 AM »
Got two nice ones last evening..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Oct 05, 2022, 05:27 AM »
Puffball parmigiana over pasta with homemade sauce last night..

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 05, 2022, 05:42 AM »
That looks delish! Still looking for some puff balls here. I did see one older Shaggy mane in someone's front yard last night, but pickings are slim.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #49 on: Oct 05, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Puffball parmigiana over pasta with homemade sauce last night..

You sir continue to live well, as always.. I have not found time to look for any mushrooms yet this fall.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Oct 06, 2022, 12:47 PM »
Thanks love it..

Leftover puffball parmigiana over pasta for lunch..

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Oct 06, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Haven't done too bad down here in PA, some Chiken of the Woods, Oysters, and shrimp of the woods. Had a really nice Morel crop in the spring. Getting out this afternoon fingers crossed we find some after the past 5 days of rain.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #52 on: Oct 10, 2022, 06:20 AM »
My " GO TO " oak tree was checked yesterday and my son pulled a 4 pound hen off from it. It is the tree that last fall produced the 3 monsters growing right next to each other, all taken at the same time. We scanned the ground hoping to see hens growing in the same exact spots as last year, but did not see anything at first glance. My son wandered around for 5 minutes checking other trees and stayed behind at the go to tree and waited for him. While waiting, I got down closer to the ground and saw 2 hens smaller than my fist budding out in the exact spots from last year. We missed these when first checking because the color was so close to matching the soil they are emerging from.

I am stoked now that these are growing, and will be back there to check on them every weekend until we have a killing frost here. NOT SKUNKED AFTER ALL  @) ;)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2022, 08:57 AM »
My " GO TO " oak tree was checked yesterday and my son pulled a 4 pound hen off from it. It is the tree that last fall produced the 3 monsters growing right next to each other, all taken at the same time. We scanned the ground hoping to see hens growing in the same exact spots as last year, but did not see anything at first glance. My son wandered around for 5 minutes checking other trees and stayed behind at the go to tree and waited for him. While waiting, I got down closer to the ground and saw 2 hens smaller than my fist budding out in the exact spots from last year. We missed these when first checking because the color was so close to matching the soil they are emerging from.

I am stoked now that these are growing, and will be back there to check on them every weekend until we have a killing frost here. NOT SKUNKED AFTER ALL  @) ;)

Update on the 2 hens - checked them yesterday and they are still growing, still small and will let them grow as long as possible until the first frost is predicted here. I will check again next weekend. They are on state land which I also do squirrel hunting and mountain biking on ( Dutchess county ). I was carrying the 28 gauge around with me yesterday and did not even see a single squirrel out. I was very surprised by that as mid-October is usually prime time for squirrel hunting.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:35 PM »
My season has been the complete opposite of last year. I found some nice chickens in early September when I didn't expect much, and since then a few puffballs have been stumbled upon but I am drawing a blank on everything else. Really have put in some effort and all my dependable spots have produced almost nothing. Such small and scattered offerings that I have left them all for seed.  Disappointed - Maybe the dry summer ?

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 21, 2022, 01:01 PM »
Well these are all along my flower beds. Any insight?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Oct 21, 2022, 02:27 PM »
I’m not sure about that one.. :-\

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #57 on: Oct 21, 2022, 06:01 PM »
Well these are all along my flower beds. Any insight?

I have not tried to eat one of those, I am not positive but they are probably in the broad class of LBM = Little Brown Mushrooms which are generally poisonous. Avoid these. I am still  a re;ative novoice and will probably remain that way. One of the good things about mushroom harvesting is that some of the choicest edibles are 1. ) abundant when the conditions are right and 2.) Easy to identify and have confidence that they are not poisonous due to not having poisonous look-alikes. No need to risk a poisoning by trying to expand outside of the 7 mushroom varieties that I have eaten

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:59 PM »
I’m not that adventurous so not ready to try them but noticed them growing along the stone wall along my planting beds under a huge black walnut. Probably spores from the mulch used in the beds but figured I’d toss the pics out to you guys.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Oct 22, 2022, 02:25 PM »
wish I could help It's out of my line of " I'm sure of this one".  Went out again this morning and drew a total blank.  Very disappointed in the lack of mushrooms this year.  I'm still hoping to find some in my travels, but I'm done looking

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.