New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spring edibles foraging  (Read 10177 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Spring edibles foraging
« Reply #60 on: Oct 22, 2022, 05:45 PM »
wish I could help It's out of my line of " I'm sure of this one".  Went out again this morning and drew a total blank.  Very disappointed in the lack of mushrooms this year.  I'm still hoping to find some in my travels, but I'm done looking

62 and done, you guys have had a few nights of frost up there, so I think you might be limited to the mushrooms that are known to appear after a frost. The only one I know about is the late fall oyster, which I have harvested before. They have a stronger flavor than the regular white or golden oyster. They can have a bronze or greenish coloration to them. I don't think hen-of-the-woods do well after a frost. I will need to check the condition of the ones I am watching, hopefully tomorrow. It got down to 31 F 2 nights in a row this week so I am crossing my fingers that they are not frostbitten, and still growing.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #61 on: Oct 22, 2022, 06:15 PM »
I wish I knew more about mushrooms. Yard up north is full if honeys, and four or five others that I know nothing about. The earthballs are very strange I know they are not edible. At first I thought they were puffballs. Cut 'em open and jet, inky black inside. Had a couple amanitas pop up in the back... Two schools of thought on those. Got excited last year at a crop of very nice looking shrooms in the yard south. I picked 'em and did a little research. Anyone you hate? I'll make 'em a pizza with the Destroying Angels... Yeah. Gotta watch and be sure of what you pick and consume. Got a couple of dead/dying trees that grow prodigious amounts of Pheasant's Back/Dryads Saddle. Very different for me but tasty if you do it right.

I know there are groups of Russian that vacation here in northern Wisco just to pick piles of mushrooms. I need to get hooked up with one of those groups just to learn about what and what not. I don't need spots. There's plenty of land up here to forage.

Good luck and pick carefully!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #62 on: Oct 25, 2022, 01:09 PM »
Found some shaggy manes…

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #63 on: Oct 25, 2022, 01:11 PM »
Not sure about these yet..

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #64 on: Oct 25, 2022, 02:07 PM »
I wish I knew more about mushrooms. Yard up north is full if honeys, and four or five others that I know nothing about. The earthballs are very strange I know they are not edible. At first I thought they were puffballs. Cut 'em open and jet, inky black inside. Had a couple amanitas pop up in the back... Two schools of thought on those. Got excited last year at a crop of very nice looking shrooms in the yard south. I picked 'em and did a little research. Anyone you hate? I'll make 'em a pizza with the Destroying Angels... Yeah. Gotta watch and be sure of what you pick and consume. Got a couple of dead/dying trees that grow prodigious amounts of Pheasant's Back/Dryads Saddle. Very different for me but tasty if you do it right.

I know there are groups of Russian that vacation here in northern Wisco just to pick piles of mushrooms. I need to get hooked up with one of those groups just to learn about what and what not. I don't need spots. There's plenty of land up here to forage.

Good luck and pick carefully!

Guess ya wouldn't wanna nibble on one of those........cripes...!  :o

Destroying Angels contain a complex group of poisonous substances called amatoxins. Contained not only in certain amanitas but also in some fungi from the genera Galerina, Lepiota and Conocybe, amatoxins initially cause gastrointestinal disorders with symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and stomach pains occurring within five to twelve hours. Cruelly, the symptoms usually fade away for several hours or even a day or two, tricking the victim into thinking that they are recovering. When in due course the symptoms return with a vengeance, it may well be too late: kidney and liver damage is already underway. Without treatment, coma and eventual death are almost always inevitable.

Often, people hospitalised late into a poisoning episode can be saved only by major surgery and a liver transplant, and even then recovery is a precarious, painful and protracted process.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 25, 2022, 06:49 PM »

These are edible! (Earlier this year!)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Oct 26, 2022, 08:19 AM »

These are edible! (Earlier this year!)

Didn’t find any in my usual spots this spring… :-\

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Oct 26, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Just a tip for foragers that aren't sure before picking. If you take your pic w/ Google lens, it will i.d. it instantly.
I also use a free app called plant.net but the fungi i.d. isn't great

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Oct 28, 2022, 02:08 PM »
Birch shrooms on today's hike.
Time for tea

Offline FM67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Nov 11, 2022, 04:35 PM »
Guess I’m late to the party. I hadn’t noticed this thread when I joined last year. Fellas “Learn Your Land” is Adam Harrington if I spelled it right you tube channel. He’s pretty good and based out of Pa so at least somewhat local. Just a fyi for guys that could use this. Start with what’s called beginner mushrooms. They are safe, easy to id and have no dangerous lookalikes. Gonna be slim pickings but I’ve got oysters all over still. Been a tough hen of the woods year and I like them better than morels not to knock morels.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #70 on: Nov 11, 2022, 06:11 PM »
Guess I’m late to the party. I hadn’t noticed this thread when I joined last year. Fellas “Learn Your Land” is Adam Harrington if I spelled it right you tube channel. He’s pretty good and based out of Pa so at least somewhat local. Just a fyi for guys that could use this. Start with what’s called beginner mushrooms. They are safe, easy to id and have no dangerous lookalikes. Gonna be slim pickings but I’ve got oysters all over still. Been a tough hen of the woods year and I like them better than morels not to knock morels.

FM67, it was a tough year for H.O.W here is SE NY too. I did harvest 2 of them on 10/29 that I had been watching grow for 3 weeks, on a huge rotten oak that last year produced monsters. The 2 this year were only a few pounds each, but were the best eating ones I have ever had, maybe because they grew slowly ? I also agree with you that H.O.W are the best eating mushroom out of the ones I know, so better than morels, oysters, C.O.W and etc.  I still have not tried a yellow chanterelle, and these are supposed to be great eating so I am going to get serious about finding these next year.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Aug 20, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Not spring but found a couple nice puffballs this morning..😁😁
One’s going on the grill tonight…

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Aug 20, 2023, 01:20 PM »
I remember one muzzleloader season finding a patch of Shaggy Manes I sautéed along with a roasted Blue Grouse breast, all in a coffee gravy. Best evening camp-meal EVER! 😋
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #73 on: Oct 15, 2023, 04:29 PM »
The monstrous oak tree that I discovered the monstrous H.O.W. on 2 years ago gave up a legendary monster on Thursday.  :o :clap: My son and I needed to make 2 trips to get it all out of there with our backpacks, a single H.O.W. weighing 58 pounds.  :thumbsup: :woot: Not only was it enormous, but was A grade quality for eating. I sold 10 pounds today to the restaurant that I have been doing business with for the past 4 years, but I would have liked to have sold 30 pounds. Instead, I am sauteeing many large batches and freezing these in ziplocs. They retain their quality pretty well when frozen after sauteeing, so not being able to sell more than 10 pounds just means a lot of time spent watching a frying pan, but we have a boatload stored in the freezer now for topping home-made pizza, adding to pasta sauce and etc.

That old oak tree appears to have died more than 10 years ago, so I don't know how many more years it will support mushroom growth, but I will never forget about it and will show up there every year to harvest H.O.W. until it is done giving.  I am truly amazed at all of this, and it is almost not fair now because I don't need to spend time scouting or hunting for mushrooms as long as this 1 tree keeps producing. It gives me and my family all of the mushrooms that ewe need for an entire year.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Oct 15, 2023, 06:34 PM »
Great job Warrior. I too have an ancient oak that produce's well. I'll have to go look tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.