Author Topic: Anybody on the Bruce peninsula?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody on the Bruce peninsula?
« on: Jan 06, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Just thought I’d throw this out there to see if there are any more people from my area on the site. Been patiently waiting so far but boy I can’t wait to get out. Checked a few lakes the other day. Still lots of open water on some spots.  A few others I actually spuded out 30-50 feet on a few but still lots of water plus snow on top ice not much black ice. Pretty soft and white. Still was looking very promising however not enough to drop a line that day maybe a week with what’s in the forecast should be able to get rid of the itch.

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anybody on the Bruce peninsula?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:09 PM »
I'm on the Bruce peninsula, only ever fished on Arran and Chesley. Was out a bunch this week catching perch and Pike. I'd like to start fishing up the Peninsula a bit more. Which lakes were you checking the ice on?

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:56 PM »
I have been to Miller Gillies Cameron and Cypress along with Arron and chesley lakes. Those are the ones I fish during hard water season. I also fish the muskoka area when I’m aloud lol. I’d like to try Gould but not really sure there is access to it. 

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Ever tried Mountain lake or Francis Lake?

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:06 PM »
I have not although I’ve been thinking about trying them also bass lake looks pretty interesting on the topo. 30+feet is seldom seen in these lakes. I’ll be hitting up a bunch of spots in the next week or so. Sure could use some cold nights.  I’ve got a kinda large 2 person flip so I’m kinda waiting on a few more inches to be on the safe side before I take that out. I fish solo around this area a lot so I kinda stick to the lakes that others are fishing during early ice. How much ice was on chesly and arran over the weekend? I herd there were quite a lot of people fishing. I was in the north peninsula checking lakes.

Offline WalkingOnThickIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Hey guys, also from the Bruce Peninsula area and impatiently waiting for good ice. I was out on Chesley lake on 10JAN2021 and it was a bust (as usual).

I see there is some experience with Cameron lake. I'm looking to maybe take Friday off and get up to a new body of water. Was there any success there and is there a public access?

Also curious about Miller lake. I've heard that some of the locals (one in particular) really doesn't like anyone fishing on the lake unless they get permission from them specifically. As far as I know it's public land/lake, but i'd like to also confirm this.

Any help would be great!

Also, just as FYI, Chesley has about 3.5 inches as of Sunday night. Aaron reportedly has about the same, about 4 inches. Aaron has been hit pretty hard considering it was the first lake with ice and last weekend was great for weather, so families went out to enjoy the perch action.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:57 AM »
I get locals being frustrated with people fishing but as far as I am concerned you can fish any lake you’d like that has public access. I’ve seen a ton of fishing pressure on these small lakes in the past 6 years that I’ve been in the area. I know people are pretty protective of certain spots and lakes and I get that as I’m the same not giving out to much info is always a good thing especially in a forum online or worse yet YouTube.  Telling people they need permission from you to fish the lake is a little crazy. I wouldn’t even stop to entertain him. To my knowledge you can not own a natural lake in Ontario. My buddy in the north has a lake his property surrounds so it’s land locked by him and he still doesn’t own the lake. If there is a boat launch or public access then your good to fish.  Send me a pm for access spots. I don’t want to see these lakes fished like chesley and arran as they are already hit pretty hard in the summer months.  I get there are not many spots to go in our area but people keep way to much and small ones from these small lakes.   I actually came across a few people last year that kept every perch they cought. Had a bucket full of fish that should have been back down the hole. Was all I could do to not put him down the hole. Lol  I say my 2 cents and a have a good day knowing he will just continue to be what he is.  I’ve lost some pretty sweet spots in northern Ontario due to people overfishing them keeping everything they catch or fishing them 5 times a week.  You’d be surprised how quickly a good hole is killed by being overfished. Sad as these lakes have great potential if we fished them properly. Sorry for the long post. I do like people lol. Also if your headed up Friday send me a pm and maybe we will cross paths. Not looking very cold plus if we get some snow could be not so good for the ice. 

Offline WalkingOnThickIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Yeah, it's a situation where they don't own the lake obviously, but they own all the land around the lake and they tend to protect it through false scare tactics. Anyways, couldn't agree more, you need to be able to access a public lake.

That all being said, I am looking to get to Cameron. If I do, I'll be sure to message and see if we can get after some eyes.

Tight lines!

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Well I can tell you Miller lake has a few public access areas plus multiple property owners. I’ve never had a problems fishing there. Parking seems to be the real issue at most of these areas.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Ps public lakes you can’t get to do exist  like in my friends case he owns all the property around it and the only legal way would be to fly into it I think if you wanted to fish it.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Well Weichelh did you ever make it north for the day? I haven’t been out since that worm spell we just had but looks good and cold now and for the following week or two.

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:20 PM »
Never made it up North yet. Was waiting for the cold water to come back before making the drive to find out there’s not enough ice. Maybe next week

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:14 PM »
I’m sure this cold will help big time. I’m trying to get out this week so if I do I’ll post ice thickness for ya.

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:19 PM »
That’d be great, thanks!

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:48 PM »
Was out on Miller lake for a few hours this evening. 4-6 inches of snow on ice plus pretty strong winds. Ice was 5-7 inches at best with some pretty good slush holes. Not atv/sled friendly yet if you ask me. Pretty slow evening but always good to get out.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:06 PM »
Anybody have an ice thickness for chestly or arran from this weekend?

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Don’t know exact thickness but people are out on Chesley with atvs and sleds

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Was out this evening on chesley 4 inches of nice ice and 2 of white is kinda what I found. Zero fish from 16 holes.   

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Was out on Gould tonight and got some perch and walleye

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:32 AM »
Nice I have kinda drove around it but didn’t really see a place to get on to Gould boat launch or anything.  I saw a few out when I drove past around 2ish on my way to chesley

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:40 PM »
Well after a few trips of marking and being able to lift em off bottom with no bite I was able to get on some good fishing today. Bunch of small ones and this nice one.

Offline weichelh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Nice one! Chesley?

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:06 PM »
About 1000ft from shore. Just east of Griffith island.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:54 AM »
So how’s everybody ice looking on the Bruce??? Hope everyone is going well snd enjoying the 2022 season. Although it’s starting out kinda like 21 I’m sure we can make the best of it. Be safe and tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.