New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I'm done...time to start cruisin'  (Read 1446 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I'm done...time to start cruisin'
« on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:07 AM »
I had hoped to ice fish one last time this weekend, but my Bride is pretty adamant that I not risk it.  It was about this time a few years back when I went through at I-Bay. Scared her (and me) pretty bad.

The 19 year old in the back of my brain says "what the heck...go anyways". The 59 year old (and my wife) says "do something else".

I guess I'll hit the docks. It'll be as nice day for a ride.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I'm done...time to start cruisin'
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:20 AM »
Despite how much we love this sport. We need to respect the wishes of our loved ones. Most of us enjoy passing this great sport to others. We should not pass on the risks we take to enjoy it. You are setting a good example for little ones in your family and on this site. Thats one way rg to avoid "getting in trouble" with the wife. Hope you had a great season.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:17 AM »
My son & his team won the sectional championship hockey game last weekend, going on to the regional's today in Albany. If they win today- next weekend is final 4 on Sat. & State championship on Sun. From the look of the forecast I'm probably done as well. I fished as little this year as I ever have in the last 29 years or so of icefishing. Soon, all the kids will be in school & I'll have more free time. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I am looking forward to getting out on the boat- will see you on MFF or MMFF (depending on how many morons switch over!) Go WILDCATS!!!

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:22 AM »
   Your right Bob, time to pack it in, My last trip was Wednesday, I think the ice will go fast, and be in the boat before you know it.

I to fished a little less than normal this year because of school sports and other activities with the kids , but like you said Hollywood,one more year and their are out of school and off to college.

How's the ice

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Looks like I'm done for the season too. This weekend was supposed to be my last trip on the ice - a tourney on Sacandaga. But I was in the hospital for a couple days for a "situation" that developed with my health Wednesday. Nothing too serious, but enough to lead to me not being on the ice. My baby's first birthday is next Saturday and looking at these warm temps, I don't think I'll make it out again. I didn't go much this year due in part to my new dad responsibilities and not having a bait shop near Oneonta anymore, but I had fun when I did go. I caught a nice walleye on Goodyear and introduced my mom and dad to ice fishing. (They are out on the Sac today without me!) I've got striper season to look forward to and I am planning a camping/fishing trip to the 'dacks for late next month. I guess there is always next year. I won't be logging on to the site much anymore until around November, but I wish everyone tight lines and stay on top!

Offline outdoorjohn2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I done for the season too although I did want to get I out one more time this year. But I've found that March ice is kind of iffy and I'm not going to risk it.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Packing all my gear away as well. Thanks to everybody that helped me out with information and conditions this year. I really appreciate it! Waiting for the ice to go then I will be on myfishfinder. Take care all :)
It'll eat.

Offline greg42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay Of Quinte Action
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Headed out in the morning! You see, my wife loves for me to icefish when it's warm, raining, late season on sketchy conditions. It's a testament to how much she really loves me to stretch it right to the end. And thank you RG for not ix-naying any of my posts- I'm a little shocked and disappointed all at the same time. Please tell me you thought about hitting the all-powerful ix-nay button on me once. Or were my posts so insignificant you don't even recognize me? I like Tatter-tots. Anyways, I'll let you know how I do.........or my wife will...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2009, 02:30 PM »
I like that..."The all powerful ix-nay button".

Made the rounds today...what a nice day for a ride. Started at Canandaigua pier..still a bit froze up so I moved on to Seneca lake state park...still frozen as well....kept going

Stopped and bought some paper towels and windex....cleaned the windows on my little red truck...

Went to Sampson State park. saw a bunch of turkeys and white deer at the depot........nothing in the marina...some guys thrashing the water for pike...didn't see any fish caught...

Stopped at Lodi Point Park for a while...no fish but several boats out around the point

Went to Watkins Glen and fished the city marina for a while ....stopped and bought a couple of bottles of wine on the way...love the wineries down that way...

Made my way back to Canandaigua and fished the pier for a while...couple of small perch...I'm going back in the morning to try for some sunnies.

Having a Heineken and some cheese its now....

Nice day...even without the fish ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Had a fine day here as well, Wildcats 7, Shaker/Colonie 0
On to Utica next weekend- Go Wildcats!

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:38 PM »
the fat lady has sung for me.  I was on the ice Friday and it was melting way too fast for me.  With the projected forecast I doubt the ice will be safe next weekend.  I guess its time to get ready for turkey and walleye.  I'm going to pull the boat out in a couple of weeks and prepare to set sail..............be safe everyone and see you on the open water
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:13 PM »
This heavy rain is killin the hard water now, I say done also,,,
Do not take chances out there people.so long for now...

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:18 PM »
too bad the ice is gone down your way guys it is going fast here but we have at least another o.k. day or 2 and then iffy for a week or so . RG I appreciate the work you do for this site even though I get involved in the way off topic discussions in the chatauqua thread and lose some posts I understand why you have to . Thanks and good luck on the open water . I'll just be hiding under my rock waiting for "safe" ice . I was on the ice Dec. 9th or thereabouts this year and have logged over 50 ice trips to 10 different bodies of water this year. caught every available species in my area with not a single keeper walleye. Had an awesome season and hopefully that keeper will be hungry one of the next couple of mornings. If you are going to push it (like me) be aware and stay safe. My wife does not like to see me loading the planks or fishing  in the warm rain but she has not stopped me yet...She sure is ready for this season to end

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Hey BOb  Im with you I was out thursday on Honeoye and it was a awsome day on the lake,but it is the end for me aswell.

The next time you want to make that ride I would love to ride shotgun ;D  Ill be like a big happy dog with a fishinpole. :laugh:

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:  Have a Great year all
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Spicy Steve,
I'll take you if you promise not to drool and leave nose prints on my nice clean windows :nono:

The docks are still a couple of weeks off.

RG

By the way...you don't shed do you?

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Wanted to get out yesterday but my lil fishing buddy had his frist wrestling match and could not miss that and break his heart.took 2nd place in his group :laugh:.He walked up to me and said you proud of me Gramps.....you know the rest. rain dumped here last night,was going to try today at sandy pond but thinking after that heavey rain I'll call it quits.. got caught on ice few years back on sandy 81/2" soild ice just opened up when opening to lake let loose.So like the rest of you ,I'm done for this year had a good year on ice ,hopefuly next year will be the same........maybe see some of ya on the water this summer,,,, ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Don't forget to sport your IS baseball caps so we know who the real men are during the soft water seasons.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2009, 02:52 PM »
you'll recognize me in my shanty on a boat or in my backyard just waiting for ice...

Offline onewhitestone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I hear you on that, my last day was on sat at my fav. place and I had a good time with all the fellows there.  The ice was about 14" but with 3" of slush on top.  I got rid of all my bait and now its time to gear up for TROUT.  Can't wait.  Thanks for all the tips and info, I really injoy this site.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I started packing stuff up today as well.  Yesterday on Cuba was my last time out.  I would have put everything away today, but I got some drying out to do after that downpour yesterday  ;D

Good year though, no complaints!!
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:56 PM »
you guys hit the docks, im hittin the ice, still good, and biggest pike are hittin hard right now

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:17 PM »
a few years ago, in march rainy weather late ice ,a fellow fisherman went threw at sodus and left behind family and friends. if you do go out be careful a bucket of perch just arn't worth the risk ;rg i hate admitting when the little women is right myself sometimes.but right is right buddy,i might check northword myself if not then it's river time.was a great year ;D
                                                                                                                               god bless
                                                                                                                                 trap

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:29 PM »
you guys hit the docks, im hittin the ice, still good, and biggest pike are hittin hard right now
I agree fully. Although I cannot access my pike spots for a few days the crappie are on fire Bluegills are very hungry, and perch, although easy and kind of getting boring, do taste good. There is some colder weather coming I know when you look at the thermometer and it is pushing 60-65 you start thinking spring, but mother nature isn't done with us yet, I am not saying we will all get our ice back, but us with iffy ice before the cold will be able to get out with confidence again. I am not stupid and realize the fat lady is close by but she aint started singing her song yet. I could not fish today due to life ... but my friend who thinks I'm crazy went and checked a few of our spots and people were there planks still in the trucks. He wasn't prepared for "winter" and there was alot of water on the ice but he did walk out far enough to say the shore is holding . `

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Trapper I knew the man and his family very well,was fishing by himself when it happened. your right no bucket of fish woth it.wait for right time put small boat in still get good perch at sodus.. That's what we do in Nov. and when ice gone... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:42 PM »
oh ya i have done better there in open water then on the ice!

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:23 AM »
 ;D  Bob I dont have enough hair to shead,but sometimes i do get all excited if I know im going for a ride.. ;D ;D ;D
I like the park at the north end of seneca,is a special place iv spent a lot of years going there for a good fishing adventure and a nice day trip.  keep in touch!!

SS
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.