New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 133028 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #600 on: Feb 23, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Not on the ice today. No report forthcoming. I will say I had a great “catch day” yesterday though it was windy and rained all afternoon. The drag out was easy. A (1) on the Boggey trudge factor as long as you wear your cleats.

Kept 22 nice fatties. One 20 inch pickerel and lost 2 of my “wonder bread “ jigs to the slime logs.

The exit was more eventful. The rising water level has opened a wet slush area directly adjunct to the shore. I got a boot full of water with my last step off the ice. Sure glad I didn’t take the sled out. My ramp is way down across from the Stanley Drive boat ramp. A lot of water over the ice from Blind Creek.

Looking forward to the next three night to harden the ramps again so we can continue to enjoy this great “catching” year on the Pond. Be cautious and safe today if you must go out. If you do consider walking and give those access ramps a chance to heal. It is time to say “spud, spud, spud”

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #601 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Boggey...

Truly...there is nothing worse than a boot full of water...I know because I've done it before (maybe several times?) Once as I was walking IN to my deer stand.   :o

If it HAD to happen - glad it was coming off the ice.

See what you can do about getting the ice to heal up...otherwise...might want to tune up the outboard.

...pray I'm wrong...it IS February after all... :-\  :'(

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #602 on: Feb 24, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Ice is great. Posting from my phone. My ramp is all healed. Good to go. My ramp was one of the worst so make your assumptions accordingly. Come join me at the honey hole.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #603 on: Feb 24, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Boggey...

I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised...!!! That's great news.

I think I'm in for the morning hatch on Saturday...I'll be in touch.

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #604 on: Feb 25, 2022, 01:31 AM »
Yo ArkAngel

Saturday looking goood for Poppy. My granddaughter, Bella Just finished basketball (losing a tough game in the sectional quarter finals to JD by one point) and has finally found time to spend with her Poppy.

She has been her Poppy’s favorite fishing partner since she was 6. Now, 17, high school , sports, proms, boyfriends and drivers license, it seemed as if Poppy was put aside on the back burner.

Tempered with the sense of gradually losing the #1 spot in her heart, the realization, my little Bella is growing into a lovely young woman despite Poppy’s desire to hoard her love and devotion. I will have to share her with the the big world that awaits her. She’s not six anymore. Reluctantly ,I must accept the metamorphosis taking place. Reluctant, yet joyous my Bella will once again bless me with “mine was bigger than yours Poppy”

So Chris, should you pass a black Shapell with a couple of people  heartily laughing, with the aromatic smell of sausage sizzling on a grill, yes, do stop in and meet my beautiful Bella. I just may have enough sausage for one more hoagie.

Boggey 

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #605 on: Feb 25, 2022, 05:00 AM »
You sure do have a way with words Jim ,as always I love reading about your life and adventures.

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #606 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:01 AM »
Jim, Glad to hear that Bella is going to make it.  I to will have my youngest daughter with me this weekend for another try.  She came with me a couple weekends ago when conditions were "less than desirable".  Even tho she will have a boyfriend in tow, he's a great kid and has been bugging Mr. Stu to show him how to ice fish.  Not sure I'm the best teacher of getting the most perch on top of the ice, but I have all the time in the world for someone that wants to learn!  So, if you happen to pass a red Eskimo shanty tomorrow with laughing and the smell of sausage and venison hot dogs spewing from it, stop in and introduce yourself.  Boggey, I'm sure we will find each other at some point.  Lets hope that shoreline tightens right up with this cold.  Tight lines everyone, be safe and have a great weekend!! :thumbsup:
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #607 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:12 AM »
Hey Stu good luck out there I-hope you all get your limit and have a great day

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #608 on: Feb 25, 2022, 03:13 PM »
Yo Stu and Jigger,

Picked up a bonus or a “twofer“ as it were. Talked my eldest daughter, Laurie  to come as well.

Poppy “Dad” , notice dual title will be in his glory tomorrow.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #609 on: Feb 25, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

I didn’t fish today. I will only tell you what I personally observed. A trip over to Stanley drive (State Ramp), I witnessed 3 snowmobiles enter with no problems. No wet spots or ruts.

At my ramp (Blind Creek area) the ramp had 5 inches of snow cover and one snowmobile and a 4 wheeler had accessed from the ramp. No wet spots were visible. Walked out 50 yards. Today’s total snow accumulation was 4-5 inches. Very light wind, not enough to blow it around or drift.

So for you walkers dragging out a jet sled or shanty, it will be a 9 or 10 on the Boggey Trudge factor scale. Better have a smitty. Have a good fun and safe day tomorrow.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #610 on: Feb 26, 2022, 07:26 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Fished today way down south end of Pond with family and friends. First time ever for my eldest daughter, Laurie. My grand daughter, Bella showed her aunt the ropes , spending time between chasing top downs and jogging in the confines of the shanty. My Angela and Kitzy joined us and for the topper, my Son Shayne , fully recovered from his near fatal car accident joined us for the first time since the incident.

It was a great day despite the high winds that developed mid morning and the near “white out at high noon. 5 to 6 inch snow drifts developed all over the Pond and as I forecasted, the walkers had a hard time dragging out and back.

I got to see how tough my girls are as well as my son. Between us we brought home 33 perch for our efforts. Collectively, they made me proud and happy they thought enough of Dad, poppy to come out and endure the harsh winter conditions.

Just thought you might like to see a picture of Angela, Bella and Laurie . Am I not a blessed man?👍👍👍

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #611 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:02 AM »
You are surely blessed buddy, must of been a great for all of you

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #612 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:49 AM »
Amen brother. Life is good.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #613 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Fished today way down south end of Pond with family and friends. First time ever for my eldest daughter, Laurie. My grand daughter, Bella showed her aunt the ropes , spending time between chasing top downs and jogging in the confines of the shanty. My Angela and Kitzy joined us and for the topper, my Son Shayne , fully recovered from his near fatal car accident joined us for the first time since the incident.

It was a great day despite the high winds that developed mid morning and the near “white out at high noon. 5 to 6 inch snow drifts developed all over the Pond and as I forecasted, the walkers had a hard time dragging out and back.

I got to see how tough my girls are as well as my son. Between us we brought home 33 perch for our efforts. Collectively, they made me proud and happy they thought enough of Dad, poppy to come out and endure the harsh winter conditions.

Just thought you might like to see a picture of Angela, Bella and Laurie . Am I not a blessed man?👍👍👍

Looks like a great family day. It’s great that your son has rebounded and got to come and surprise all of you.  All absolutely priceless.

May we all be as blessed as you someday.

Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #614 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:38 AM »
As others have mentioned you have a way with words Boggey! Glad to see you and your family had a great time!
We managed getting out on the south end as well, the wind was brutal and we packed it up around 1. Guys next to us we’re catching pickerel we left empty handed but my youngest got a few bites and had a blast in the new shanty(all that really matters). Next time will remember to get some bait! Have a great Sunday everyone!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #615 on: Feb 27, 2022, 12:07 PM »
New Old Guy/Boggey, thank you for all the ice conditon reports and sharing details from your trips on Sandy pond this season. Glad you were able to get out with your family and have a nice day on the ice.

Dumouc56 good to read your son enjoy his trip to sandy Pond. may the fishing be better on your next visit.

Steve

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #616 on: Feb 27, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Thank you all.
It was a good day to get the family out on the ice. I highly recommend it to all you poppy’s and nana’s.

I’m off the ice today. A day of
R&R. I’m going to pretend I’m an old man and take it easy. I have taken note of my young friend, Dumouc 56 and his no catch day. Check your PM’s. I think I have a remedy.

Boggey

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #617 on: Feb 28, 2022, 05:14 AM »
Great reports JBog! It is fun following along. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #618 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06:45 AM »
Yo Jim...

Great pic, great memories made and spinning the yarn as well.

~ArkAngel

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #619 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Yo Reeleyz,

Nice to hear from you bud. I imagine the boys are getting pretty big. Didn’t get to see them at all last year. You will have to stop by. I will PM you the address. You can tell the boys old Boggey has an endless supply of hot chocolate / with marshmallows haha. Oh yeh, and a cup of Joe for dad.👍 It has been a good year on the Pond. Hope to see you and the boys.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #620 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:08 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

-2 degrees at 7:00 am . Do we have ice or what? Woodies has an impromptu Derby this coming weekend. 100% payout. Register at Woodies. More information if I can get my hands on a flyer.

Boggey

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #621 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:00 AM »
Yo Reeleyz,

Nice to hear from you bud. I imagine the boys are getting pretty big. Didn’t get to see them at all last year. You will have to stop by. I will PM you the address. You can tell the boys old Boggey has an endless supply of hot chocolate / with marshmallows haha. Oh yeh, and a cup of Joe for dad.👍 It has been a good year on the Pond. Hope to see you and the boys.
Boggey

;D

We'll try to get up there soon!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #622 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:35 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

-2 degrees at 7:00 am . Do we have ice or what? Woodies has an impromptu Derby this coming weekend. 100% payout. Register at Woodies. More information if I can get my hands on a flyer.

Boggey
Hey boggey all weekend or just Saturday or what. I will be at Chaumont for the weekend with family. Maybe fish the derby? Who knows. Additional info much appreciated.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #623 on: Feb 28, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

More information on Woodies Bait & Tackle ice fishing Derby this coming Saturday, March 5th on the North, South Sandy Pond including Green Point. I discovered why I couldn’t find a flyer. There ain’t one. As I said it was an impromptu, last minute, hastily put together Ice fishing Derby put together by Karen, the new owner of Woodies. You all know Karen as for the last twelve years she has been Dave’s right hand, “Glrl Friday”.

Register at Woodies any time before 10:00 on Saturday to be eligible. $20 entry fee. She is going to keep it simple. $250 minimum payout for biggest Perch of the day and $250 minimum payout for largest pike. Size criteria for each division is length. In case of tie, second criteria is weight.

Weigh-in is 4:30 pm Saturday sharp. No exceptions.

Additionally: A $10 raffle will be held for a 6 inch Nils auger. Hope to see you all out there on Saturday.

Boggey

Offline iceman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #624 on: Feb 28, 2022, 05:04 PM »
Did the snow blow off ? How bad is the drag out. Thanks in advance

Offline kissafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #625 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Some hard packed drifts and alot of bare spots

Offline iceman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #626 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:22 PM »
Thank you

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #627 on: Mar 01, 2022, 03:10 PM »
Hey Bogey,  thanks for the heads up on the Derby Karen is having. 
The ice held up well through the week with the warm weather and the shorelines tightened up enough for the sleds. As always a good time spent on the ice this weekend with my daughter, her boyfriend and my beautiful wife on Saturday.    The morning was one of the nicest yet, with a quick turn for the worse by 11. So the shanty went up to keep the kiddies warm and happy.  Glad to say the boyfriend had his first snowmobile experience to get out on the ice, his first time ice fishing and as luck would have it he caught one of the larger pickerel I've seen.  He also got his first lesson cleaning perch.  ;D  We couldn't keep the pickerel off our lines.  Time for these derbies to start adding another category. ::)  Even with the weather I was able to fire up the grill and keep the family and other friends with us happy with some venison hot dogs and sausage. 
 We were able to come home with enough perch for a dinner but not as stellar as the wise man himself.  Thanks for the coffee Bogey, I'm gonna have to start replenishing your stock or throwing a dollar in the tip jar soon.  Have a great week all and tight lines!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #628 on: Mar 02, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Yo Stu,

That’s what it is all about my friend. Family and fishing brings us all a little closer. Throw in a snowmobile ride , grilling sausage in the shanty,fresh perch dinner and a lesson from the master on filleting fish, just about over the top. You are blessed my friend.

Talked to our Bud Jigger last evening. He had his shoulder surgery last Wednesday and he is now chomping at the bit. He can’t wait to complete his physical therapy and get back out on the ice or in the boat should he not heal in time to cut holes on the hard water.

Don’t forget Karen at Woodies is sponsoring An ice fishing Derby on the Pond this Saturday the 5th. Plus she has a raffle for a 6 inch Nils auger, same day. You don’t need to be in the Derby to purchase a raffle ticket.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #629 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:47 AM »
Yo Jigger

Don’t you worry about cutting them holes ;)2 ;)2 ;)2. Old Boggey will cut them holes for you :angel. It would be worth the effort just to find your secret “honey hole”. ;D ;D ;D.

Guys and Gals

Look at Sunday’s temperatures. This Saturday just may be the last day we get machines on the ice and have a little friendly competition. Don’t forget Woodies Derby on the Pond Saturday. I want to get the participation numbers up so I get a bigger payout when I take first place. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.