The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Traverse city  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Ajvorps

• IceShanty Rookie
Traverse city
« on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Hey guys my names Adam, I'm new to the site, i have been ice fishing for about a year now. I recently moved to traverse city from st.clair shores and am looking for access points to long lake, silver lake, bass lake and Boardman. Any info is appreciated! Happy fishing.

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Traverse city
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Books with lake maps in the area can be picked up at gander mountain.. they will show boat launches, depths and tips.. But I dont think they show the little public access w/o launches...

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Welcome to TC...

Long Lake has 3 access points that I know of, 2 at the north end...(Long lake park across from the grocery store and the boat launch which is just around the bend to the south west), and 1 midway down the lake on the west shore...(Creasent Shores Dr).  The only access on Silver lake that i have used is on the east shore...off east silver lake road.

Good Luck!

Offline TCfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Long lake, like the other guys said. Silver has a boat launch, but isn't plowed. Boardman
Lake, very north end next to library has plenty of parking and access. Bass lake has a launch off secor to bass lake rd, never hardwater fished that lake. Green lake off betsie river rd, near karlin. But the best thing you can do is go to gander and get that book. Shows all surrounding lakes with their launches. That's what I used until I bought the Navionics app for the iPhone.

Offline Ajvorps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Thanks guys, ill be heading over to gander mountain this weekend to pick up that book. Have any of you ever fished lake skegemog? or  have any info on ice thickness? hows the fishing there?

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Thanks guys, ill be heading over to gander mountain this weekend to pick up that book. Have any of you ever fished lake skegemog? or  have any info on ice thickness? hows the fishing there?

Skeg is in my backyard
Ice was think 2 weeks ago, cant imagine anything has changed especially since it appears S elk is frozen
I'll be out there this weekend.... lots of sort'n of the dinks

Offline chinewalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Love that area. Buddy has a cabin on Bass Lk. Long Lk can punch you in the face so watch out. Gotta try Duck LK and its a little drive but Portage Lk in Onekama is a GREAT lk. Every fish I have every caught there has been large. Very good size panfish and Giant rockbass.

Offline Ajvorps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Went to long lake today... bad idea. about  7-8in of slush, and only about 4in of ice. no fish and wet boots. gonna try bass lk this weekend.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:29 PM »
It amazes me there is such little ice up that way. The lakes down here (Livingston, Washtenaw) have 10" to 14" You guys must of had a ton of snow early on. We've only had 2 storms, one around 6" and another around 5"
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Ajvorps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:30 PM »
30+ inches in December, about 10 now, and theyre are calling for up to 8 more by tomorrow night.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Holy crap. A + for snowmobiling! A - for icefishing  >:(
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:28 AM »
Yep lots of snow at first then most melted then we got dumped on again.....Kind of makes it nice for those of us with hand augers.. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.