Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Hardwater Cuisine

Fish Stock - anyone try this

(1/2) > >>

potatoe:
 have read a few recipes almost tried it today. You boil down the guts, head and what is left after you fillet the fish. I then want to try a simple fish soup dish with this stock.

Looking for simple recipes if anyone has tried this

thanks

icemanmn:
Cut out the guts.  Just boil down the head and skeleton.  Make sure you strain it through a wire strainer after it has cooled. 

appleye:
When in Florida I buy whole shrimp that have to be cleaned. I then boil down the heads and shells. I would think fish carcass would be about the same thing. I make a chowder out of the stock and it's awesome! Add a little seasoning maybe carrot, onion and celery like they do on TV.

dekatronic:
I tried making trout stock and the smell almost made me barf. I did not do any research but figured just boil the bones and head. Must be more to it than this.

Sandcountrylivin:
DONT add the guts! Stock pot with water, carrots, onion, celery garlic, pepper fish heads and skeletons. I've done this with whole gutted fish but you get an obscene amount of scales to clean up. Once you've brought it to a boil for awhile kick the temp down until everything falls apart. Strain and compost everything other than the liquid Gold. You can now make chowders and hearty fish stews. For the faint of heart that might not love the smell ( there is no denying the flavor) I recommend to cut your broth with some chicken or veggie stock so as to lessen the fishiness. Enjoy!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version