Author Topic: what is best way to freeze fish  (Read 11800 times)

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
what is best way to freeze fish
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I took a minute and read the filleting fish post and I remembered an issue that came up last month.
I took a package of walleye out of the freezer from this summer that was freezer burnt...  This was double bagged in freezer ziplock bags and was sealed while I held the bag under water so all air was pushed out but it still ended up with freezer burn on one side. 
I do have an older food saver vac sealer but the water on a cleaned fillet will get sucked up to the end and keep the seal heater from completely sealing the bag off so I have stopped using it for wet items. 

What is the best way to freeze fish to keep them long term?

Should I be investing in a newer vac sealer that will allow me to seal wet items better for long term storage?
If that is the best answer what models are fool proof for fish and other wet items.

jason

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: Freezing your catch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM »
lay a piece of folded paper towel across the opening of the bag just below the seal point and it will absorb the moisture. I always double seal. after the initial vac and seal, flip the dial to seal only and put another seal on the bag. just a handy tip.

HIMO
                                                              Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Freeze them in water.  Cover the fillets wirh water, but allow enough room for expansion.  Frozen this way, the fillets will keep for over a year.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:18 AM »
I find the best way to freeze fish is put the fillets in a ziplock bag and  fill with water and freeze...   I have a new FoodSaver and still do the fish in the ziplock with water method...   JMO... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:18 AM »
i would go for a new vac sealer. They are the best!!

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Def freeze them in water. put them in a ziplock and push all the air out the top and seal as best you can. that is how i do all my perch fillets and smelt as well. Somtimes in the summer we have a big fish fry and I'll put 50 or 75 smelt in a used cardboard milk container and fill until the water is just over the fish. fold the top over and seal with duck tape and you're good to go

Offline LoboWNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Freezing in water works great.  Can personally attest that they are in great shape even 6 mos to a year plus later.  Freezer burn is oxidation; cant happen if they're locked in ice.   Can take up a bit of space though.   Easy solution for perch - sandwich bag will hold bunch of filets; walleye you may want to chunk or get some really biiiig bags.

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Thanks guys.
My father used to do that same thing but I thought it was outdated.

j

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Love the food saver. It makes compact packages that stay fresh for an extended time. Had some pike last week that i caught last January. No freezer burn and it still tasted delicious

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:44 AM »
I ve always done em in water and never had a problem

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 AM »
I have some plastic containers that I put the fillets in and fill the container to the top with water. That works fine. I do want to try vacuum sealing some this year and see if it is better.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:25 PM »
If you freeze them in water they take forever to thaw. This is what I wad taught--- rinse your filets real good and pat dry with a paper towel (but don't dry them completely). Put them on a cookie try or plate and put them in the freezer uncovered for about 15 min or untill firm (not froze). Then zip vac them. By doing it this way no water can mess up your seal, and it won't take a week to thaw them.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:15 PM »
If you freeze them in water they take forever to thaw. This is what I wad taught--- rinse your filets real good and pat dry with a paper towel (but don't dry them completely). Put them on a cookie try or plate and put them in the freezer uncovered for about 15 min or untill firm (not froze). Then zip vac them. By doing it this way no water can mess up your seal, and it won't take a week to thaw them.
I freeze mine in water all the time
I usually run them under warm water for about 5 minutes and they are good to go..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:49 PM »
I freeze mine in water all the time
I usually run them under warm water for about 5 minutes and they are good to go..
im not saying its your method won't work, I'm just saying I found the way I do it works easier for me with less hassle

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:15 PM »

Now that's an idea I'll have to try.  I always dry my fillets as well as I can but there always seems to be a few nooks and crannies that hold water that gets sucked up into my vac sealer.

I've tried the freezing in water method but it takes up way too much space.  Between all my fish, venison, and other stuff I need all the space I can get.

Offline bassomatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Freeze them in water.  Cover the fillets wirh water, but allow enough room for expansion.  Frozen this way, the fillets will keep for over a year.

X2

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:22 PM »

This is a great idea thanks I will give this a try,
I will do some with the old method of covering with water also and see what works for me and my space.
Now we just need some real ice.
j

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:15 PM »
always  freeze  fish  in  water!  if  you  have  empty  milk  cartons    wash  them  out  good  put  your  fi8llets  in  them  then  fill  with  water  and  freeze  ....easy  to  store  after  and  your  fish  will  last

Offline ComfortablyNumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Must be nice to have enough fish to freeze. I rarely catch a meals worth!

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Fish wouldn't last that long in my house. If we don't eat it that day/night it is used within a week. 
But I would use the water trick if I had to.

Offline ryaneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:25 PM »
i agree with the paper towel in the food saver method.   Have never had a problem.

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:08 PM »
 ;)another trick is to wrap in plastic wrap ;) an then put them in freezer bags you don't get air that way

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:35 AM »
This may be obvious to some but, if you put 1 lb of let's say perch fillets into a quart freezer ziplock bag, fill with water and zip all the air out. Next crack open a corner of the bag and lay your bag flat in the sink and push water out until you are satisfied with the thickness. I leave them about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. You will need to lay them flat in the freezer until they are froze, but after that they stack up like chord wood. I have tried the foodsaver thing, and this is the easiest and fastest way for me. IF a bag of fillets is in the freezer for a year, I have confidence that they will taste great and not be freezer burnt one bit!

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:54 AM »
I have heard of people doing the "water freeze method" but with milk. What would be the advantages to that?

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Must be nice to have enough fish to freeze. I rarely catch a meals worth!
Read more posts on ICESHANTY and you'll catch more fish.  ;)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:24 PM »
try putting them in a meatloaf tray w/ water frezee into solid block then remove frozen block from tray and vacume seal they stack up nice in the freezer, warm water thaws them quick

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:32 AM »
You can partially freeze fillets first, on a plate for an hour or so.  Then vacuum seal, moisture will be frozen.....

Offline jobek75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:44 AM »
In a freezer bag, fill it up with H20 and your good to go!

Offline waldo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Yup....sounds like many of the fishermen on here do the same. I have been putting fillets in a zip lock freezer bag,filling with water and zipping it while keeping all the air out. While you are zipping it close ....water is being pushed out to make sure all air is out. I have done this for over 25 years and have never ever had a problem! with the walleye fillets I just cut fillets in half.....works great!  ;)

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I have heard of people doing the "water freeze method" but with milk. What would be the advantages to that?

Have heard of people soaking fillets in milk to get rid of the "fishy" taste.
Would assume they then just freeze them in the milk as opposed to dumping it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.