Author Topic: what is best way to freeze fish  (Read 11791 times)

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Freezing your catch
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:04 AM »
The best way to freeze fish ive found is with the vacum sealer. Make sure the fish is DRY. Dry it in a couple of paper towels before you put it in the bag to seal. I have had fish over a year old and still good. They got lost in the freezer. A vacum sealer is a great investment for fishing and hunting etc.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I've had a vacuum sealer for 5 years now. For hunting, fishing, veggies from the garden and buying in bulk, I won't go without one.

Offline IceSpudStud

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water is better than Hard Wood!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:33 AM »
Being a chef I deal with alot of IQF seafood and fish. i tried the freeze separately then bag fillets method last year and wound up disappointed by freezer burned fillets. :'( Definitely going back to freezing them in liquid. Water is good but milk is great. @) The fillets are sweet and tasty. Freeze in small portions and they wont take forever to thaw.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I have froze in water since I remember had some go well over a year no loss. I take em out in the am and put them in a bowl of cold water to thaw, change the water a couple times ready to go by dinner.  I also stand them up on my freezer door when they start to tighten up.

Offline slab daddy 518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 AM »
i have to agree w everyone on freezing in water,then just run under warm water to thaw.

Offline MRLee315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Most def freeze in water that's what i would be doing if i could only get out of work and go fishing.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:32 AM »
i have to agree w everyone on freezing in water,then just run under warm water to thaw.
Watch using warm water the fillets that are exposed first if not removed will start to cook. Fillets are delicate see it alot with guys when cleaning fish in the summer they dont run warmer water out of the hose thinner meat will start to cook on the table. 

Offline pruville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:51 AM »
Pat the water off fillets, wrap in good quality plastic wrap,get all the air out then wrap in news paper,I've been fishing and hunting for years and never had freezer burn.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:28 AM »
When I'm vac sealing wet things I always hang the bag off the counter that way the liquid doesn't get to the sealer.

Offline BobbyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:37 AM »
Sssssooooooo..... you freeze them in water? Ok now about the thawing this is confusing me, you take them out of the freezer or u put them in warm water and leave them in the freezer? ::)
DR Bobby J. Hardwater
Field researcher in Ice Fisheries Sciences

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Sssssooooooo..... you freeze them in water? Ok now about the thawing this is confusing me, you take them out of the freezer or u put them in warm water and leave them in the freezer? ::)
Personally when I thaw fish in ice I put them in a bowl with cold water. Takes most of the day but it works IMO

Offline paperchhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISHING IS A SICKNESS
what is best way to freeze fish
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:43 AM »
i have been freezeing fish in water for years but have heard about using a vacume sealer any input ?
VEXLIAR  $450.00 STRIKEMASTER ICE AUGER $400.00 CLAM ICE HOUSE $250.00  STCROIX JIG RODS $100.00  HEATER FOR ICE HOUSE $75.00 PAIL OF SLOB PERCH PRICELESS

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what is best way to freeze fish
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:13 AM »
I've been Vac sealing all of my fish and wildgame for years now.  It prevents freezer burn and IMO is the best way to store meat in the freezer.  Before you seal them though you will want to let the sit in the fridge and firm up the meat (30 to 45 min) .  Then seal them up and put it in the freezer.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I've been Vac sealing all of my fish and wildgame for years now.  It prevents freezer burn and IMO is the best way to store meat in the freezer.  Before you seal them though you will want to let the sit in the fridge and firm up the meat (30 to 45 min) .  Then seal them up and put it in the freezer.
RIGHT ON,but i use the  weston bags[commercial grade]they are a LOT better then the ones you  get at the local
store
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 AM »
RIGHT ON,but i use the  weston bags[commercial grade]they are a LOT better then the ones you  get at the local
store
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Where do you get the Weston Bags from?

Offline Dump14066

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 PM »

Yep, Put the fish in the bag, add water, freeze. Bye bye freezer burn.

Offline chuckieobrien1966

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Freezer bag fill with water close  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:and done
Enjoy today as if it was your last...

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Food saver vacuum sealer, for all meat, as well as fish. It will pay for itself in the food you don't have to throw away due to freezer burn.

Offline Icedog40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Don't freeze em...eat em.

Once you freeze em, and come back to em months later, it's no longer "fresh fish". You might as well be eating store-bought.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Freeze them in water.  Cover the fillets wirh water, but allow enough room for expansion.  Frozen this way, the fillets will keep for over a year.

x2

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Grew up freezing them in water, but switched to FoodSaver freezing a dozen years ago or more.  Double seal if the first seal didn't quite seal due to water.  I hold it up to the light and inspect those seals every time.  I've had fish in the freezer for two full years without any ill effects.  I don't do that anymore though, just put up enough to last until the next ice season.

Both methods are perfectly fine though.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Vacuum sealing lasts a long long time. To avoid the double sealing or over inspecting, use a folded up piece of paper towel before the sealing spot. Hit the vacuum button until the air is drawn out and the fishy water starts to soak the paper towel, then hit the seal button override. Works like a charm.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:37 AM »
I would go with the FoodSaver.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Vacuum seal the meat.It will make it last 2-3 years.
Master Laker taker.

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:39 PM »

I defenetly use water and milk cartons! catch two or three keepers put in milk carton and cover with water. Stand up in fridge the next time you catch a few fish ,add to same milk carton and cover with water.put the top back on and when you get it full lay them down and stack. this works great for me. Some times you catch just a few keepers and they stop biteing. This way you can keep filling the container untill you get  fish for supper. this works great for smelt too.
                                                                   Gary

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Commercial frozen fish sold to restaurants is vacuum sealed, which may have as much to do with transportation costs and storage space.  In most cases it will taste as fresh as fresh fish.
  I've been using the Foodsaver for a few years now and it works well on everything I've put through it.   You just need to be careful about the seals and not over stuffing the bags.  It's a worthwhile investment if you freeze anything, from game to fish to fruit and vegetables. 
If you freeze fish into a block of ice and thaw it later, it will be soaking in that water for a while.  I'm sure you've noticed an off taste in melted ice from the freezer, which can't be good for your fish.  If you had caught fish that day and planned to use it the next day, would you leave it soaking in water?  I don't think I would. 

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:50 AM »
catch them throw them on the ice and they frezze up pretty good until i get them home lol

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Feb 19, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I always fillet them and lay them on a baking sheet. I put the sheet in the freezer and use the food saver the following day. If you get a good seal they will last for a year.

WS

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:24 PM »
vacuum sealer for sure

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:18 AM »
I've used the two best methods,Vac and ziplock freezer bags w/water. Large fillets eyes,salmon,pike,steelies I like the vac,panfish I like the QT ziplock w/water. Deer meat,burger freezer paper,steak,tenders,loin vac pack. We did 7 deer this year,a lot of money in vac bags but worth it because it all lasts and no throwing away in the long run your saving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.