Author Topic: Lake Angeline Ishpeming  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Stormer1092

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Angeline Ishpeming
« on: Dec 25, 2017, 07:48 PM »
ICE REPORT: 5in. Had no luck on this lake yesterday except all you can catch tiny perch ~3-4 in. Heard of lakers coming in shallow but no luck in about 9-10ft of water. Anyone else have this issue with this lake with nothing but smalls?

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Angeline Ishpeming
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:44 AM »
We have got some real big lakers out of there in the past, biggest i seen was 15lb. Its on the wall at superior outfitters in mqt. They stopped stocking lakers though 5 or so years ago so we dont get many anymore (none last year). Pretty much gave up on this lake. Mostly just catch little browns and brookies and have got some descent size splake and rainbows. Tons of dink panfish/perch. Its mostly a put and take fishery now with easy acess. They reduced the minimum length of trout to 8 inches and increased their number of stocked adult fish. So they created and easy acess put and take trout fishery for folks.I would avoid the shallows this time of year if you want lakers as they are post spawn. They will move back into the shallows late ice season around febuary. If you do get a laker is been in there for years and is most likely very well adapted. I would use the perch u caught as that is most likely their main forage. Shoot for deeper drop offs or lower edges of the points, i would shoot for the edges of the deepest hole where the underwater tressel is.

Offline updeerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Underwater tressel? Tell me more? I'm interested in the history of this lake.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:50 AM »
thanks for joining us and welcome Stormer1092 !

nice first post.

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:09 AM »
@updeerhunter the lake is an old mine. At one point in time they drained the entire lake and began minning iron ore. They mined the ore for several years until it was gone and then filled the old mine up with water and made a trout pond. There was a large mine shaft dug and tunnels as well as a tressel that connects the structures. In the 110-120ish ft region it sits at about 95 feet if i remember correctly. I wonder if anyone has ever scuba dove dowb there. Would be a cool adventure i would imagine.

Offline Stormer1092

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:33 AM »
@updeerhunter the lake is an old mine. At one point in time they drained the entire lake and began minning iron ore. They mined the ore for several years until it was gone and then filled the old mine up with water and made a trout pond. There was a large mine shaft dug and tunnels as well as a tressel that connects the structures. In the 110-120ish ft region it sits at about 95 feet if i remember correctly. I wonder if anyone has ever scuba dove dowb there. Would be a cool adventure i would imagine.
Any idea where that tressel is? Ive fished the deep basin on the western edge and have had good luck in the past.

Offline VerseChorus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:49 PM »
I heard this lake has sketchy ice from springs, is there any areas to be careful around?

Offline Stormer1092

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:19 PM »
I heard this lake has sketchy ice from springs, is there any areas to be careful around?
If you go off the boat launch to the right in the small bays you have to be careful. But other then that never had any issues.

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:01 AM »
There's one spot for sure that's to the right of the boat launch, kind of by the little island that is open water most, if not all of the winter.  Around that area is where people fish for the rainbows, in 20ish feet of water.  it's crystal clear, so you can sight fish if your shack is nice and dark.  Perch and panfish are all very stunted, it's hard to find any that are over a couple inches long.  You can still get some decent sized splake and rainbow, but it's not easy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.