Author Topic: Gwinn area Ice  (Read 2702 times)

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
Gwinn area Ice
« on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:02 AM »
Anyone know what ice conditions are looking like around Little Lake and Bass Lake down in Gwinn. Hoping to get out this weekend if this cold weather keeps up.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gwinn area Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I'm sure there is good ice somewhere. I'd wait a day or two to see what this snow does to the ice and then call Gwinn Bait Shop. Marty will have some kind of idea.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:17 AM »
Going to swing down there tonight and check it out. Allows me to take to pup for a run also. Will up date later.

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Never made it out this weekend. Wife was sick. So next weekend.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I went into Gwinn Bait and Tackle and talked to Marty on Saturday. He said most lakes were good, but when I asked about Big Shag he said he sent someone there the other day, and the report came back that it was pretty sketchy. I asked about East Bass, and he said people were all over it on foot.

I headed to East Bass, first of all, if you pull in there, don't follow the one way signs, the DNR pulled their dock and left it in the way of the turn around, just turn left to the parking, you can't loop around.

Met a guy in the parking lot that confirmed the Shag report. He said Shag pretty sketchy. That' being said, East Bass was okay for the most part. There were parts that were 1 spud hit and you were through. Another week, and I think that the whole thing will be solid. But it was kinda sketchy. Still got out a few hundred yards and put out some tip ups. Didn't look like anyone was doing any good jigging.

If you plan on going anywhere up that way I'd get some bait from Marty and get a decent report. Sounds like it'll be another week or so before you can really roam the lakes up that way.
-Sro

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I'll probably just wait until after xmas. Some cold weather in the forecast. Hopefully everything will freeze up.

Offline 1971miner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Be careful everyone...another drowning in Minnesota this week...not worth a life...
If you jig it,they will come..............

Offline Rippenlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Is it a keeepeerrr???"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:34 AM »
I was on east bass sunday. The worst spot I found was between the launch and the point, 2" maybe 3" inches at most in the bad spot! 5ish of solid clear ice closer to the point. My buddy and I were fishing on the bad spot, he was probably 40 yards away and I could watch every step he took with the water going up and down in my hole hahaha. Ice closer to the point was g2g tho! We caught fish, perch, gills, crappys and a few pike with 2 being pretty nice.

Took a random trip to alberta pond yesterday, I'd say 5" there. Didn't get any brookies, lots of gills and tiny perch. Might head to indy and fish alder bay tomorrow.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Rippenlips, let us know on Indy. last I heard (last friday) they only had 2 inches by the launch.
-Sro

Offline Rippenlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Is it a keeepeerrr???"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Never made it to Indy. Went to greenwood instead but didn't end up fishing there either! Was by myself and didn't feel like dragging all my crap and checking ice the whole way to where I wanted to fish! Didn't look like anyone has been on there yet plus it just looked sketchy. There was maybe 5" right at the launch, and it looked ugly where I wanted to fish.

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Finally made it out. East Bass is very good. 6" of good ice in most spots. Fishing was really slow though. Lots of dink perch but hey made it out before Christmas this year!

Offline Stormer1092

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Finally made it out. East Bass is very good. 6" of good ice in most spots. Fishing was really slow though. Lots of dink perch but hey made it out before Christmas this year!
Hit up east bass last year with no luck. LOTS of people out there. Didn't really do any research about it before. Heard there was walleye and I was in. Seems like its overfished.

Offline jkeme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Went to big shag yesterday. Couple of flags but nothing on them. 8-10” of good ice.

Offline HaRdWaTeRfIn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:46 PM »
LOTS o good ice out there now ! :tipup:... Cars out on Teal lake today setting up permanent shacks ! Much different seen than last year !! Fish on  !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.