The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Landing net  (Read 2121 times)

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
Landing net
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:40 AM »
May be a dumb question, cannot find any info on it.  Landing nets on the ice?  Thats ok, no? 

Some folks might be wondering how/why....chainsaw...big hole....landing net.  Nothing against using landing net correct?

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Landing net
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:00 PM »
I don't know of any laws regarding landing nets but I do recommend leaving some sort of warning (tree limb sticking up or something) for others when you leave a hole that big in the ice. It skims over and someone is going swimming.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Never a good idea cutting a hole that size in the ice. Why would you need a landing net on the ice. Most of the fun is fighting that fish into and up thru the hole. I have many a large fish come off right at the hole only to smile at me as it came off and swam away. Oh well part of the game. Please if you do mark the holes. I stepped in a snow covered skimmed over livewell someone had cut into the ice a few years back.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Doesn't make for the best of a day.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Never a good idea cutting a hole that size in the ice. Why would you need a landing net on the ice. Most of the fun is fighting that fish into and up thru the hole. I have many a large fish come off right at the hole only to smile at me as it came off and swam away. Oh well part of the game. Please if you do mark the holes. I stepped in a snow covered skimmed over livewell someone had cut into the ice a few years back.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Doesn't make for the best of a day.

Yes, we left it marked afterwards and I can guarantee nobody went out to where we were.  middle of the lake ... 2 mile hike.  I saw bigger holes in the pressure cracks walking out.  :o
Joking aside I understand the impact a bigger hole has but realistically when were averaging 15lb lakers on this spot a 8" hole is quite frankly a PITA.  Either way I understand the downsides and pretty much the reason i stopped drilling 10" holes years back.  I broke my foot in someones 10" hole from the day before I didn't see. To sum it up, not really what I was looking for as far as feedback but its appreciated either way.  The community here is always great for that.  Doesn't sounds like landing net is an issue.

Side note-  Landing nets in almost all cases can help prevent human contact with a fish and reduce slime reduction with minimal contact.  In general if landing nets are used correctly its better for fish, that said I am not arguing the big hole facts.

Thanks!

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:28 PM »
so you care less about fisherman safety that touching a fish ?  Did you move from mass to vt  ;D

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Averaging 15lbs! Damn.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Sounds like you got some primo Laker grounds. Best of luck.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Sounds like Champlain near Panton. Just because you're that far out doesn't mean others don't go out there.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting my head around the idea of creating a hole big enough to use a landing net. Why stop there? Just keep going and make it big enough for a 12' jonboat.

Guys, I've been doing this an awful long time (over 50 years). This is a first (for a reason). Do you really want to be responsible for someone falling through? Please do not do it again. Play the fish as long as it takes. He'll come to the hole eventually. Reach your hand down and get your fingers under his gill plate, and slide him out. That "moment of truth" is what it's all about.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline seymourbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:00 AM »
 ;) That is some good fishing ;).I have not caught a 15 since I bought a scale.... ;) Trollin on the river!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Must be one of the guys driving way out to outer Mallett's. Been hearing good stories about large lakers & the other white meat  ;D
Please make sure you mark your hole, really wouldn't want to see one of those expensive trucks fall thru.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I would love to see the place in vermont where ANYONE averages a 15lb laker... Maybe we need a calibration on the scale... Pics or it didnt happen right?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:53 AM »
Pretty common to see large holes over this way, nd mt sd mn, where spearing is allowed. Holes are marked and people avoid them, rarely/never hear any issues specific to spear holes.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:10 PM »
I would love to see the place in vermont where ANYONE averages a 15lb laker... Maybe we need a calibration on the scale... Pics or it didnt happen right?
Always round up to the nearest 5 lbs. So 6 = 10, 11 = 15, etc.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Find me the place on the lake where lakers average 11lb. I have caught a LOT of lakers on champlain, and never had an average better than 8lb. I spend most of the summer catching them, and average at least 20 fish a day each trip. breaking 10 happens most trips, but its not the average ever.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:42 PM »
I would think a gaff and a 10 inch hole would be a  better idea

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Find me the place on the lake where lakers average 11lb. I have caught a LOT of lakers on champlain, and never had an average better than 8lb. I spend most of the summer catching them, and average at least 20 fish a day each trip. breaking 10 happens most trips, but its not the average ever.
I agree. Average is probably 5-7 #?

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:42 AM »
look up sight fishing lake trout on lake champlain. the biggest fish I seen caught was about 8 pounds . the video was posted about 12 hours ago so I think its these guys there landing the fish with a net.

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Sight fishing lake trout on Lake Champlain with the Rabid Bait Z-Gobi in the color ghost rigged with an 1/8 oz VMC jig head. https://www.rabidbaits.com/ https://www.fish307.com/

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:50 AM »
Well that looked boring.... where is the fun in hooking a fish 5 ft under the ice and using such heavy line and tight drag that there is no fight?

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:47 AM »
I can see the reasoning behind cutting a big hole like that. There's some pretty cool videos out there of folks sight jigging lakers, salmon, rainbow etc, and having a hole that big makes it a lot of fun because you can see them a ways off in all directions. Yes, it could be a safety concern for others, so make sure you mark the edges with big sticks, sticking up vertically from smaller holes you drill. Even so, unless there's a big snowstorm that covers over the hole after it's got a thin glaze, it should heal up pretty quickly in your average cold weather. Different story in spring though...

It's legal to use a net on champ in summer, and to my knowledge the same is true of winter. I don't see why there would have ever been a problem with winter landing nets such that a prohibition on them would need to go into place.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:59 AM »
All those smaller lakers must be bringing down their average weight.

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Well that looked boring.... where is the fun in hooking a fish 5 ft under the ice and using such heavy line and tight drag that there is no fight?

I used my perch rod for a few.  4lb test.  Super fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.