Author Topic: Installing tip up line  (Read 4438 times)

valk_tourer

Installing tip up line
« on: Dec 26, 2004, 12:28 AM »
I am using a Frabill classic wooden tip up and when I installed the line, I tied my knot to a hole on the spool and used the cranker and used the wheel and just wound about 50 yards or so on (enough for where I am going) just like you would on a jig pole. That is how it goes on right?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Installing tip up line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 04:57 AM »
vaulk the only thing you can really do wrong is to wind the line on backwards so the trip mechanism doesnt work.other than that try to keep even tension and wind the spool evenly

valk_tourer

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:00 AM »
Does the line go on clockwise or counterclockwise, clockwise made the most sense to me other wise you would have to wind backwards, which one is it?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:53 AM »
I tie my line on tip-ups the same way I tie it onto my spinning or casting reel spools. I reel it on clockwise, because that is how I like to reel it. If you prefer reeling on counterclockwise, then do it that way. It only matters which way you reel it on when you are using a windlass tip-up(but you're not using that type).
Ken                                          

valk_tourer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:06 AM »
Good, so I dont have to remove it all.  I also put mine on clockwise and was told it must be counterclockwise.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:13 PM »
you can not wind the line backwards on a heritage laker or the trip mechanism wont work.

NAD42

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:36 PM »
you can not wind the line backwards on a heritage laker or the trip mechanism wont work.
...and you can get a lot of line on one them...watched my buddy last year have to 're-spool' all 5 of his, on the ice....I was in tears!!!...took him about an hour, and a lot of walking.  ;D

valk_tourer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:12 PM »
I pulled on the line and it cam off the spool and caused the flag to pop up, so I am assuming the tripping mechanism is then working.  I am not using HL's I am using Frabill something with a wooden base.

hali-man

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2004, 03:38 PM »
VT-
You can wind it either direction with those.
The trigger mechanism is so simple it doesn't matter.
I only have one tip-up and that's it.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Only 1 tip-up? Man I don't know what I would do with only one,maybe dinner and a movie? I almost have to build an addition for mine! LOL :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:24 PM »
i tie it on like on a jig rod then i attach the cordless drill and wind it up much faster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.