Author Topic: Life span for braided Dacron line  (Read 3024 times)

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Life span for braided Dacron line
« on: Feb 12, 2005, 12:12 AM »
What is the lifespan, in your experience, for braided Dacron line. I will be placing some 25 pound test line on several TipUps and wonder how often it will have to be replaced on the reels.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Life span for braided Dacron line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Stuff lasts forever...we change it like very other season I think... I'm sure someone will say it needs to be changed bi-monthly or something, but that's not necesary in my opinion.

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I've had mine on for 10 yrs. And it still looks brand new. Just every year I pull out my tip-ups  and give a good healthy pull test. If it don't break it stays on.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:13 PM »
i agree with pasquatch! you can tell it aint baseball season yet  :D  i change mine every other year, never had a problem

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2005, 09:47 PM »
I agree with tuckerdg1970.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2005, 11:23 PM »
Thanks guys. I figured it should be changed each year or each other year. However, after the expense involved, I hoped a few additional years use might not be out of the question. Especially since I will be placing a leader on the end.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I figured it should be changed each year or each other year. However, after the expense involved, I hoped a few additional years use might not be out of the question. Especially since I will be placing a leader on the end.

-Reelcharacter
You can easily get a decade out of them...

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2005, 09:16 PM »

-Reelcharacter
You can easily get a decade out of them...

I expect to get a few years out of the line, particularly figuring the limited number of times I get out on the ice each year. Unfortunately, they won't be spending a whole lot of time in the water. (At least not as many times as I would like). I imagine getting the tipups home each time, drying them out and properly storing will also help.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:48 PM »
I haven't had any experience with dacron. But may I suggest the HT vinyl Coated Tip Up line? It never freezes, it's extremely pliable, and it never tangles on ice when fighting a fish. Great tip up line.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2005, 05:51 AM »
I haven't had any experience with dacron. But may I suggest the HT vinyl Coated Tip Up line? It never freezes, it's extremely pliable, and it never tangles on ice when fighting a fish. Great tip up line.

Tyler
I think thats what I use...it's HT something, I'll look it up later, gotta go to school... :-\

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:38 AM »

Tyler
I think thats what I use...it's HT something, I'll look it up later, gotta go to school... :-\

That's kind of the plan. Dacron 25 pound test for the backing and an ice line for the leader. Have not tried the vinyl stuff yet, but will likely do a few tipups with vinly line and a few with another type of leader line for a side by side comparison.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:01 AM »
i'm not particularly fond of the ht vinyl coated line. from my experience it has wicked memory and after being on a spool in the off season i just could'nt get it to straighten out.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Dacron is thinner than the vinyl, so maybe you could spool more line on with using it as backing.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:35 AM »
No, I have HT Dacron...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.