New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1341574 times)

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10350 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Abanakee not ready. Only Adirondack and Durant are fishable that I know of.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #10351 on: Dec 06, 2019, 02:24 AM »
Don't sweat it.  Piseco is not ready.  Abanakee might be worth a look although it generally takes a bit longer than the other local spots near it.

Drove from Albany to Saranac lake to Potsdam and back to Albany past Abanakee on Tuesday and I can say for sure Abanakee is still mostly open. Durant had what looked like one set of snownobile tracks along the edge, but I sure wouldn't be out there yet!
The only sign of foot traffic/fishing I saw on any water was the little pond (cooper?) Right at Paul Smith's college- someone had walked out and drilled a few holes.

With that said, Maybe we should move these reports back to the appropriate thread
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #10352 on: Dec 06, 2019, 04:00 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]  Figured I would give everyone something to look forward to.  This is from LG last year.  :tipup: :tipup:

&t=63s
I have that same combo vex. How do you keep the camera nice and steady like that and get it to point where you want. I can do it in like 10’ and under... but after like 15-20fow pain right in the sphincter. Any tip is welcomed
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10353 on: Dec 07, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Definitely my favorite fishing trip we had last season. Can’t wait to get a few more on the ice !

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10354 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Ok, ice should be here on LG in short order with the colder weather.  Figured I would post this for you guys.  I know there are a lot of veteran fisherman on here, but this is good for beginners and vets alike.  Lots of good info and science behind what he is talking about.  Well worth the watch.

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10355 on: Dec 20, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I have that same combo vex. How do you keep the camera nice and steady like that and get it to point where you want. I can do it in like 10’ and under... but after like 15-20fow pain right in the sphincter. Any tip is welcomed

It can be a pain.  Especially if its deep or there is a current.   I put slush in the hole to hold the wire spool in the hole exactly where I want it.   Then I put a big jig down my jigging hole to aim at and get it set in packy slush.  Then I start fishing in my jiging hole and enjoy the show!

Offline Fr0stb1te

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10356 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Anyone been out on Lake George yet?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10357 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:23 PM »

Welcome to the site.
But that's a silly question..  ;) 
That would be a no unless some one had acess to a shallow bay..    ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #10358 on: Dec 21, 2019, 06:22 AM »
I hope to get some good info with a question I have for anyone who fishes Lake George for Lakers.  I have been fishing for lakers the last few years in NH and do ok but time to venture out and get a few guys together and make a 3 day weekend trip.  I was really leaning towards Sebego Lake in Maine but I have recently viewed a bunch of video's on youtube of guys out on Lake George.  So my question is it a place to go for the first time and have a good shot at catching some lake trout?  I wouldn't even know where to go out of but I'll do more homework on my end.  I'd thought I would just throw this out for some info.  Thanks,

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10359 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I hope to get some good info with a question I have for anyone who fishes Lake George for Lakers.  I have been fishing for lakers the last few years in NH and do ok but time to venture out and get a few guys together and make a 3 day weekend trip.  I was really leaning towards Sebego Lake in Maine but I have recently viewed a bunch of video's on youtube of guys out on Lake George.  So my question is it a place to go for the first time and have a good shot at catching some lake trout?  I wouldn't even know where to go out of but I'll do more homework on my end.  I'd thought I would just throw this out for some info.  Thanks,

I sent you a PM.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline keith411

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10360 on: Dec 21, 2019, 09:03 AM »

I used to go to Moosehead lake in Maine at least once a year for lakers which was an 8 hour drive for me. One year my buddy took me to lake George and that was it for going to Maine for me. I have only been there once and my brothers gone there a few times. We agree that it's much better than the lakes we fished in maine, we never fished sebago though. Maine was always very slow going for us with a lack of quality fish. The first fish I caught on lake George broke my pb and then the second one did. Im hoping to get out there again this year when its safe. It was only about 4 to 5 inches when we went out and it was pretty sketchy with all the pressure ridges and what not but it was a blast. We fished 40 to 80 feet of water. I cant remember how far of the bottom. Probably 2 to 4 feet. I am no expert by any means. Laker fishing is still relatively new to me. The action on tip ups was pretty darn good compared to Moosehead where we might get a flag once an hour, might. The jigging was amazing though. My brother has a marcum and he out fished our tip ups. He must of caught about 15 lakers or so in 6 hours on a tiny northland rattle spoon or a lindy rattl'n flyer I believe. Our buddy caught a few jigging with out a marcum. He was using a big swedish pimple. I believe it was black ice colored. So I would definetly recomnd Lake George. It is a blast! I got a bonus pike too.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10361 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:13 PM »
I also fished Maine quite a bit, mostly in the 80's and 90's.  Moosehead, Brassua, Chesuncook. We always did well with LL Salmon, some Lakers, but the real prize was Brook Trout. 12-20" Brookies were common, and for a Brookie nut like me, it was worth the trip.
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10362 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:35 PM »
The king can be great can be painful need to put in your hours and you’ll be rewarded best fishing is early just don’t be stupid about it

Offline keith411

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10363 on: Dec 23, 2019, 05:50 PM »
I also fished Maine quite a bit, mostly in the 80's and 90's.  Moosehead, Brassua, Chesuncook. We always did well with LL Salmon, some Lakers, but the real prize was Brook Trout. 12-20" Brookies were common, and for a Brookie nut like me, it was worth the trip.

The brook trout totally took me by surprise. I don't do a lot of trout fishing so the brookie below is the biggest I have ever caught and that was on Moosehead. I didn't know what I had on but brooke trout was the last species on my mind. It was a really pleasant surprise. The picture doesnt do it justice. It had such beautiful colors. I've never been on chesuncook before. Whats in there? I hunt practically right next to it every fall for partridge. I usually camp on Ragmuff road and hunt the old logging roads that branch off it. I always thought about dragging my boat up with me. Fall would probably be a decent time of year to troll brookies and salmon. I usually bring up a light rod for creek fishing brookes. Its such a beautiful and peaceful state. Most people I bump into are usually very kind and helpful.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10364 on: Dec 23, 2019, 05:58 PM »
That's a great Brookie!  Chesuncook has lakers, salmon, cusk, and great white perch.  In fact this year they liberalized the salmon limits because of an over population of them.  Quite an adventure traveling on the Golden Rd to get there.
Tony

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10366 on: Dec 24, 2019, 05:30 AM »

In a kayak!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10367 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:09 AM »
In a kayak!

Look one post up ….  someone was out on Harris and the article mentioned someone on Warner Bay as well.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline keith411

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10368 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:34 AM »
That's a great Brookie!  Chesuncook has lakers, salmon, cusk, and great white perch.  In fact this year they liberalized the salmon limits because of an over population of them.  Quite an adventure traveling on the Golden Rd to get there.

Thank you schrnlker! Thanks for info on chesuncook as well. I might give it a shot next partridge season. Yea that golden road can be sketchy at times. Especially after they grade it. I watched a logging truck pop tires and literally continued to drive until the rims crunched up and flew off. I couldn’t believe it. I thought the truck was going to tip over but he kept going like nothing happened. It is beautiful country to hunt and fish once you get off the main logging roads.

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10369 on: Dec 30, 2019, 10:21 PM »
It’s been bad weather I know, but getting close to January it’s time to keep one eye on that lake temperature...was colder than I thought it would be.
Cautiously optimistic about the long range weather pattern mid-late next week...probably will go along way with repairing existing ice on other lakes that have already froze and hopefully dropping LG water temperature closer to 34* or so

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10370 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:37 AM »
Water temp there is one thing...cold and no wind is another...its going to be a while.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10371 on: Dec 31, 2019, 08:33 AM »
My hopes are not high for the freeze this year gunna have to fish schroon until then

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10372 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:38 AM »
 the deep lakes are ready.   we just need more of the right weather conditions. 

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10373 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:30 AM »

think a couple more weeks..

Offline IAatHeart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10374 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:24 AM »
I’m looking to take a long weekend trip to Lake George this winter with my wife and was looking at doing a guided trip the first day we’re there to help shorten the learning curve. Anyone have any recommendations for a guide up there for lake trout?

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #10375 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Capt JJ Rod bender charters
If you drill it, they will come...

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10376 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Capt JJ Rod bender charters

X2  Call Jeff...  https://www.captjj.com/
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10377 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Still waiting on LG so I figured some good footage from March of 2019 is in order. Fun video.  Can't wait to get out there myself. 
:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :) :) :)

Offline Lakestar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10378 on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Long live the KING!!
Will have to settle for the Queen for a while tho

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10379 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Neil-