Author Topic: Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search  (Read 29650 times)

missfishylicious

Re:Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:42 PM »
congrats to the winners but my arms are folded across my chest and I'm stamping my foot  ??? cause I did say I would move from hole to hole as the bite slowed and I said it first :P :P :P ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2003, 12:47 AM »
Miss Fishy, you certainly did post before me... I'd be happy to split the 25 add'l posts!   ;)

Truthfully I wrote this and refrained from reading anything but the original post until after Monday.  Ask anyone on this site that's fished with me and they'll tell you that's always been my approach, tweaking only for different species.  I like to write, and my feeling on this since I wrote it at 1:30 a.m. or so EST and had to get up for work at 6 a.m., it was sloppy and not my best writing.  Still, ice fishing is awesome and even when I'm half asleep I like to spout off on it.  I also am hardheaded about my fishing and like to find my own patterns, as my fishing pals can attest (so I do the same on the keyboard).  If Genz Man is catching fish on a Genz worm with a gob of maggots deadsticking over 20' and I think that I'm going to wind up doing better on a size 16 Marmooska with one maggie jiggin' the heck of it over 30' of water above some suspended fish, I'll be stubborn and not give in... I like to solve the puzzle and it's not as much fun to me when someone beats me to it.  I'd rather take the new challenge and find a BETTER pattern, maybe wind up with the biggest fish.  Similar instances have caused me to be outfished by my buddies the past few years where that didn't used to happen.  So, rest assured I've got my own mind and don't like to copy anyone - there's just no challenge.  Sorry, ramblin' on again...Shut the heck up Kevin :-X!

Scott, I have a suggestion.  This was a fun exercise in thought and writing, and also some really good reading.  And since it's supposed to be fun, the competitive edge that prizes create often create tension and possible hard feelings - hardly what anyone wants...so, I suggest that for the next "contest", each contestant e-mails their entry to you.  Since they are all good reading, perhaps you could post them after the deadline and announce the winner then so nobody misses out?  Or, maybe there is some way to lock everyone out until it's over?  Also, so you don't have to foot the bill, perhaps sponsors and/or registered users would be willing to donate prizes...  It's interesting to see everyone's approach, both similarities and differences and on any given day, each could work.

Great job everyone!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2003, 06:59 AM »
I would like to second Fatboy's suggestion.  Thing is there's some very knowledgable anglers here.  The chances are good many of us will have similar methods of targeting fish.  Participants shouldn't have to worry about being the first one to bring up a valid point.  Entrants shouldn't feel the need to rush their reply.  Replying privately would be the way to go if we do this format again.

MissFishy,  I think everyone who posted is fully capable of going out there and catching like nobody's business.  Moving lots to locate fish is a method with which even a rookie should be familiar.  Fact is the winner's replies obviously exhibited a certain substance the judges wanted.  Now come on, be a good sport.

missfishylicious

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:23 AM »
you guys must have missed the smile face at the end of that I'm always teasing I'm sure I lost because I'm a girl  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  just kidding you guys answers were much more in depth than mine and deserved to win a serious and heart felt congrats and I love the computition and really don't care about the prizes if I get many more posts under my belt I'll be replacing scott  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:38 AM »
Touche.  Sorry MissFishy, missed the smilies... :-[

Trevor

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:48 AM »
Congrats to the winners. And thanks Scott for getting us thinking. I hope this isn't the last (test) for the year.
Cold Feet

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:00 AM »
Lots of fun Scott,

Fat boy and Trevor,

How are the new gals and guys going to pick up on the tricks we've learned if the answers are posted in private.

The objects are to have some fun and learn a little. That's where this site out shines all the others...the people here are ready to help.

Any one developing hard feelings from a game like this has a problem, not related to fishing.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:16 AM »
Well the thought was all the entries could be posted for all to see following the contest.

Trevor

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:32 AM »
Big Pete - Stick with us we'll find fish and eat like pigs. This past week I dropped two does and a buck - just finished making salami, sausage, kielbasi, slim jims, and jerky.....

Congrats to all.....

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:27 PM »
Perhaps methinks you are all missing the point of the hunt here. Ours is not to start off with the most intense detailed launch of fishing expertise noo! Fine ice fishing like fine wine should be savored, tasted on the tips of our senses while building slowly to a magnanamous creshendo of doitism. in other words gentlemen, we'll smoke them perch when we are ready but not a moment sooner. Observe.
   Stage one: It's late in the month of July, you are sharing a port with good friends of the evening when the wind brings a reminder to your senses, "it's cooler now, the lake is making ice". A smile parts your face, she doesn't notice.

Stage two: oops, someone is calling, finish this later.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

missfishylicious

« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2003, 02:05 PM »
Lots of fun Scott,

Fat boy and Trevor,

How are the new gals and guys going to pick up on the tricks we've learned if the answers are posted in private.

The objects are to have some fun and learn a little. That's where this site out shines all the others...the people here are ready to help.

Any one developing hard feelings from a game like this has a problem, not related to fishing.

RG
:Perch Search
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:29:26am »

Hollywood,
Really what I do to find perch is set up my spotting scope in the car and drink a couple of cups of coffee while waiting for some foolish fisherman to start throwing fish on the ice...

Then I weasel my way right up next to him (sometimes I even part with a doughnut during the weaseling process)...I smile and act really nice and affable. Before long I'm fishing in a hole I didn't even have to drill and using a jig loaned to me by the guy who WAS catching fish (I bring my own bait).

By now it's time for lunch and a nap so I eat and curl up in my Fish Trap for a couple of hours. I have a padded reclining beach chair  in my trap.....comfy!!

By now it's mid afternoon and people are going home. I grab my bucket and jig rod and start hitting holes (by others) in every direction ...until dark!

It's also good to have Sundays and Mondays off.

Sunday you can see where the fish are being caught...Monday you can go fish those areas with very little company.

Can't wait!!!

RG
The truth is out hee hee heee ;D

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2003, 03:20 PM »
My wife says I can't go fishing alone anymore....she says that I would hand missfishylicious everything, including my catch....sheesh!   ;)
Lots of fun Scott,

Fat boy and Trevor,

RG
:Perch Search
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:29:26am »

Hollywood,
Really what I do to find perch is set up my spotting scope in the car and drink a couple of cups of coffee while waiting for some foolish fisherman to start throwing fish on the ice...

Then I weasel my way right up next to him (sometimes I even part with a doughnut during the weaseling process)...I smile and act really nice and affable. Before long I'm fishing in a hole I didn't even have to drill and using a jig loaned to me by the guy who WAS catching fish (I bring my own bait).

By now it's time for lunch and a nap so I eat and curl up in my Fish Trap for a couple of hours. I have a padded reclining beach chair  in my trap.....comfy!!

By now it's mid afternoon and people are going home. I grab my bucket and jig rod and start hitting holes (by others) in every direction ...until dark!

It's also good to have Sundays and Mondays off.

Sunday you can see where the fish are being caught...Monday you can go fish those areas with very little company.

Can't wait!!!

RG
The truth is out hee hee heee ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #42 on: Nov 28, 2003, 09:39 AM »
just tell your wife My husband wouldn't let me take it but he might make me clean it for you

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2003, 11:01 AM »
Oops, I just noticed I forgot to update the map with the historic hot spots on it. Yellow is a good area for perch. Red is a excellant spot for the Jumbos :'(

http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/icefishing_tips/perchsearch.shtml

The perch search was just for fun. With small prizes I was hoping no one would take it to serious. One thing though,  I think just about any level ice fisherperson could learn something from all of the entries.

Things to improve on:

1. More legible map
2. More info about the lake?
3. Entries hidden until deadline

Anything else?

RG,
IM me your addy.
FYI- I always plant dummy sticks and/or blood on other holes away from hot ones ;D sucker ;)

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2003, 06:35 AM »
Target different species.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

missfishylicious

« Reply #45 on: Nov 29, 2003, 07:33 AM »
can't wait for the next one scott geez you guys can't take me serious ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Nov 29, 2003, 06:05 PM »
Scott, I don't fall for those "hole markers", But I will follow a guy who heads out on the ice with a beeline course to a spot far from the madding crowd!

RG

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2003, 08:37 PM »
Hi gang!
  So all you know the right tactic.  Drop a sinker (perch rig it)  with a hook attached on the main line a foot off the bottom then three more feet up from the bottom.  Using minnows or worms tightly on the hidden hook. let the weight bang the bottom in the deepest hole then wait for the perch to come in.  This always works for me!
  O and if you have crawfish use them instead of minnows.  Perch cannont resist killing them!m  If you move only move about 15 feet from the deepest hole in a circular fashion.  Perch rely on senting what they cannot see!.  Believe it or not.  They like crawfish cause they can smell them .  Its the amonnia they give off. Perch attract to it.  So now you have my big secret on perching.  Simple but deadly.  All that jigging makes me tired!
  Da-Roc

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
Re: Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:24 AM »
I would fish the small hot spot east end using scotts secret jig
willing to learn new tactics

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search