Author Topic: Ice Fishing 101.0 -Importance of jigging action  (Read 16658 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Ice Fishing 101.0 -Importance of jigging action
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 06:52 AM »
Scenario:

I am on a hot bluegill bite. Found a school of slab gills in a bay that is bowl shaped in depth, around 11 feet deep. There slight depression that was around 13 feet deep, no bigger than 8’x8’. I had four holes were you could catch fish, two hot ones and two backups. The fish hung there for 3 weeks so I had time to really get a pattern nailed down.

My youngest bro, who back then was just getting into fishing, was out with me. I set him on the two backup holes. We are pretty competitive when it come to fishing, so the only info I gave him was about the two good holes. He didn’t catch much that day, bro-2 fish me-limit. Next time out, I helped him out a tad bit. I told him “take off the 4lb test and put on some of this 2lb”, “get rid of the huge jig and put on this one”, “hook your bait like this on this hook”. I did everything but give him my pole and holes. He did a tiny bit better. Bro-6 fish me-limit.

Next time out he’s getting a little upset with me, to say the least. I had him sit with me in my portable and let him sit in the hottest hole. I’m nailing them, he still can’t get a bite? I gave him my pole. Still nothing, while I’m just pullin slabs and laughing.

Question:

What was the problem?

Prize:

1st one to reply with the correct answer gets: Member status raised to the next level :'(

Answer:

Gonna have to give it to Icehunter!
He hit on it first. It was all in the jigging action.

When this was happening, I couldn't figure it out for awhile. Cuz the equipment was the same. But then I remembered something that Big Jack had said to me "Your putting the package together." I was missing a piece of the package. There was only one thing left, jigging action, the action he put on the jig. He was shaking it, but not like I was. Never even thinking about it I had perfected a shake that made the bluegill bite. I told the bro to mimic my jigging actions, low and behold, BAM! After hal a dozen quick bites you should have seen his eyes light up, like he discovered the secret to life.
Well the bro starts catching them better than I was for cripes sake >:( So I kicked him out of my shack!  ;)

Presentation,

If you have been fishing the holes on a consistent pattern you are either:

A) holding the bait very still so that the fish are not spooked which can occationally happen, or.

B) A consistent slight wiggle to the presentation so that the fish are reacting to the bait.

One other option that I just thought of is that you are making sure that the point of the hook is covered with bait so that the fish are not feeling the hook prior to committing to the bait.

Just my thoughts.

Thumper

I'll give the others who got it a bonus 50 posts added to their post count.
Waterwolf
Fishdaddy09
Mugz
kerosenecounty17

Schools out for today :'(

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Ice Fishing 101
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:08 AM »
Presentation or he was'nt holding his mouth right  :D

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:09 AM »
He didn't have a Vex.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:17 AM »
icenutt;
ya beat me to the post!!

Did he wash his hands before fishing??
 I got a buddy who is always tinkering/cobbeling on his equipment (wheeler, auger) then wonders why he gets out fished.

Petro products on hands.

Danimal

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:24 AM »
Has to be subleties of presentation. My brother & I were out once & he out fished me 3 to 1 & we used the same set up & fished 5 feet apart.

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Must be a brother thing because mine outfishes me all the time when we are sitting side by each in a 6' portable.

My answer would be that he's fishing at a little different depth than you are.

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:15 AM »
because you fished the holes for three weeks you new the hot ness of the holes changed and you knew the pattern so you always had him in the backup holes  ;D

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:25 AM »
He wasn't "feeling" the bites like you were due to something like sensitivity of the rod or the fact he may have been wearing gloves and you weren't.
Pete Lewis

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:31 AM »
He was probably waiting to feel the bite instead of watching the line.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:32 AM »
 ;D Thats a good one... but nope.

Posted by:missfishylicious
because you fished the holes for three weeks you new the hot ness of the holes changed and you knew the pattern so you always had him in the backup holes  ;D

CLUE
The answer presentation is pretty vague, you'll need to be a bit more specific than that.

Posted by: skulldugary
Presentation or he was'nt holding his mouth right  

Posted by: Danimal  
Has to be subleties of presentation. My brother & I were out once & he out fished me 3 to 1 & we used the same set up & fished 5 feet apart.  

-Scott

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:37 AM »
The Gills had moved to the 13 ft depth, which was now the true "hot hole."  Your Bro was fishing the other hot hole at a shallower depth.  Or he was somehow spooking the school.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Icehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice is Hot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:42 AM »
Presentation,

A) holding the bait very still so that the fish are not spooked which can occationally happen, or.

B) A consistent slight wiggle to the presentation so that the fish are reacting to the bait.

One other option that I just thought of is that you are making sure that the point of the hook is covered with bait so that the fish are not feeling the hook prior to committing to the bait.

Just my thoughts.

Thumper
Fish, friends and beer, it does'nt get anty better!!

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:48 AM »
has to be jigging technique.  possibly rate of fall of jig or fast short jigs or letting the jig smack the bottom then lift a couple of inches off bottom.
Rich Ferguson

missfishylicious

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:49 AM »
your secretly useing a differant bait than your giveing him

missfishylicious

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:51 AM »
Presentation or he was'nt holding his mouth right  :D
he wouldn't kiss your butt enough so you wouldn't tell him your secret

missfishylicious

« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2003, 08:57 AM »
you were fishing just under the surface because after three weeks in the small area 8'x8' the fish were running out of oxygen on the bottom?

missfishylicious

« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:00 AM »
You were spraying some kind of tasty juice on your jig  ;D

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:02 AM »
Well, If he's fishing the same "honey hole" that you were catching fish in then it HAS to be the way he fishing the bait. If you showed him the EXACT same rig you were using, baited, and in a hole producing fish, then it MUST be his technique. If his technique is the same (because he must see what your doing and how you do it), then he's not feeling the hits. If he changed over to 2lb test he would feel more hits due to the increased sensitivity. On another note the depth he's fishing is wrong. He must try to fish different depths and see "where" the fish are holding. I would think the fish would be holding near the depth transition which would mean about 3/4 depth. Also, the fish would probably hit after a "jig motion" probably on the way down.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

missfishylicious

« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:02 AM »
oh heck if i knew the answer to this ? I wouldn't have to spend so much time on this site  ;D ;D

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:05 AM »
Because he was new to fishing......he didn't let out line and was therefore only fishing slightly below the ice!
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:09 AM »
Was he useing the same jig? The same color?  Was his pole the same action as yours?  Was he working the jig in the same way as you? Was he fishing the same depth as you? If the answer to these questions is yes the he should have been catching too.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:13 AM »
you had your rod in a holder or were at least "dead sticking" your presentation. He was holding his rod and therefore had some movement to it.
Pete Lewis

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:13 AM »
you hooked your minnows differently.
Pete Lewis

missfishylicious

« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:14 AM »
the answer is posted on bluegill tips by you hook the bait just behind the head?

missfishylicious

« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:24 AM »
well this is my 500th post so I guess it doesn't matter to me ::)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:04 AM »
Your brother was working the bait in a straight vertical way.  Straight up, straight down.  You on the other hand were working the bait both vertically and horizontally by circling and/or crossing the hole while jigging.  It's only 8"-10" of horizontal movement, but can be a huge advantage at times.

That's my best guess.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:09 AM »
Kerosene.....I liked that answer.....I'm with you.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:12 AM »
Gonna have to give it to Icehunter!
He hit on it first. It was all in the jigging action.

When this was happening, I couldn't figure it out for awhile. Cuz the equipment was the same. But then I remembered something that Big Jack had said to me "Your putting the package together." I was missing a piece of the package. There was only one thing left, jigging action, the action he put on the jig. He was shaking it, but not like I was. Never even thinking about it I had perfected a shake that made the bluegill bite. I told the bro to mimic my jigging actions, low and behold, BAM! After hal a dozen quick bites you should have seen his eyes light up, like he discovered the secret to life.
Well the bro starts catching them better than I was for cripes sake >:( So I kicked him out of my shack!  ;)

Presentation,

Just my thoughts.

Thumper

I'll give the others who got it a bonus 50 posts added to their post count.
Waterwolf
Fishdaddy09
Mugz
kerosenecounty17

Schools out for today :'(

missfishylicious

« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2003, 11:08 AM »
ohhh rip off your not even going to describe the jigging action you used  :( >:(

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Just my luck a day late and a wax worm short ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.