Author Topic: Want to try Flourocarbon, what # test should i get?  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Want to try Flourocarbon, what # test should i get?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:09 AM »
 you guys must have to order this stuff, If I go to Bass pro, or Gander, they have flouro, but only to #20, and it is not leader material.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I make my own musky leaders and I use 80lb. I would never go smaller. I make my pike leaders with the same size. I like to crimp on a single hook pimple on one end, then make another small leader above it with a treble on one end. The stinger hook slides up and down above the pimple. I put the single hook in the back of the minnow and the treble in the mouth. I've been planning on making a leader holder that will keep the leaders straight in the off season.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Ive been running one of my tipups for perch lately, with large fatheads, along side two pike tipups with steel leaders. I was using 6# fluoro on the perch one, and you can guess what happened there. Since then ive been using 20# mono leaders and the accidental pike biteoffs went away. Just found some 20# trilene 100% flouro leader locally (25# diameter), and i will give that a shot tomorrow. Perch, crappies, and bass didnt seem to care about the thick leader.. I might just run heavy fluoro even on non pike waters.
EYECONICFISHING

Chute82

« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:37 PM »
you guys must have to order this stuff, If I go to Bass pro, or Gander, they have flouro, but only to #20, and it is not leader material.

Fish USA has leader material

http://www.fishusa.com/Leaders-Line

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I use 60 or 80lb floro. I have been bit off a few times but I've had a lot more flags since I switched to floro. This year I've caught a few dozen pike and 13 musky with only 1 bite off while pike fishing.

Offline montanaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2016, 05:53 PM »
i use 65# power pro braided and have caught probably 10-15 pike and havnt had one cut the line yet but then again iv always hooked them right on the mouth and never had them inhale the hook past the knot

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Braid is the worst leader material you can use. Poor abrasion resistance, highly visible and it will cut you to the bone if the braid is in your hand and a big fish takes off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.