Author Topic: Off topic battery question  (Read 1356 times)

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Off topic battery question
« on: Dec 28, 2022, 01:29 PM »
I know guys are using their power tool batteries to power their ice sonar units, via an adapter.
My wife sent a instagram picture of someone using a Makita 18v with an adapter to power their Dyson sweeper.

Is this a good idea?
If it is , I’d rather use my Ridgid batteries since I don’t own makita tools.

Where could I get the adapter?

Thx

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Off topic battery question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2022, 05:42 PM »
What you want is a step down converter. There are several available on Amazon relatively cheap.

This is the one I use with a Milwaukee 18v battery and a Garmin unit. It's working great on my second year and really cuts down the weight.

DC Buck Module, DROK Adjustable Buck Converter Step Down Voltage Regulator 6V-32V 30V 24V 12V to 1.5-32V 5V 5A LCD Power Supply Volt Reducer Transformer Module Board with USB Port Protective Case https://a.co/d/a1NVB6c
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2022, 07:11 AM »
I don’t know what voltage the Dyson operates on.

I’m not at home to look at it.
Thx

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2022, 07:34 AM »
It's called an inverter.
It converts the dc power in your battery to ac power for lighting & other ice shack goodies. A lot of them also come w/ usb ports.
Make sure ya check the wattage of what you want to plug in. If ya go over the rating, it shuts off

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18V-Cordless-175-Watt-Power-Inverter-Tool-Only-AC86097/320879239

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2023, 05:41 PM »
If you are looking to power your Dyson with your Ryobi batteries, it can be done. The issue is the Ryobi battery shape doesn't really lend itself to using it on items that do not have provisions for the stub that sticks up. You would need a Ryobi battery adaptor and then a way to wire it to the battery connectors in the Dyson. One other thing to mention is Dyson uses a 6C battery configuration, while Ryobi and most other manufacturers of power tools use a 5C configuration. According to the interwebs, many people use their power tool batteries with good results, but I have never tried it personally.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.