Author Topic: nebulus flotation device  (Read 7801 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: nebulus flotation device
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I`ve seen a couple of wheelers go through the ice ( all ended well) and what I observed is that the quad goes upside down with the tires at the surface floating or suspending  the quad. If the flotation device isn`t deployed immediately I don`t see it happening as it would now be +- 4 ft below the water surface.  And no it wasn`t me going through but in both instances lack of any reasonable amount of common sense.

??? So the wheels on a quad will keep it afloat?
Dick

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:58 AM »
??? So the wheels on a quad will keep it afloat?
Dick

I have seen this on a couple of occasions too...

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:07 AM »
What if you tied an empty soda bottle, or a buoy onto the top cord? This way if the wheeler goes under the device will set itself off, and float to the surface for the machines rider to use?

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:45 AM »
What if you tied an empty soda bottle, or a buoy onto the top cord? This way if the wheeler goes under the device will set itself off, and float to the surface for the machines rider to use?

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Excellent idea!

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Im not sure what force it would take to pull the discharge handle... I know the throttle kill switches pull out very easily.

That being said, how many times have you forgot to unclip and pulled out the kill switch key on your boat... I do it a few times a season... now, back to the nebulus... how would that work?  :P :P :P

That would suck to walk off your machine & forget you're tethered to the nebulus.  You look back & see it deploy along with $450 as I'm sure these are good for one use only.  Not sure of a simple solution to that but I'm sure with many minds thinking alike someone will come up with something.

As for personal flotation a PFD under your jacket is pretty simple.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:39 AM »
That would suck to walk off your machine & forget you're tethered to the nebulus.  You look back & see it deploy along with $450 as I'm sure these are good for one use only.  Not sure of a simple solution to that but I'm sure with many minds thinking alike someone will come up with something.

I think zwiggles just did!!  ;D

As for personal flotation a PFD under your jacket is pretty simple.

Well, the thing is, a PFD cant work if you are not wearing it. A standard PFD is pretty bulky to be wearing under a jacket, and I fear that an inflatable (which I use) would be hard to access and might not deploy properly under a jacket. With typical winter layers/jackets both are somewhat cumbersome to wear over as well... and I worry that with the weight of waterlogged clothing AND insulated bibs AND heavy jacket, would they be adequate. That being said I have used an inflatable in the past, but recently upgraded to floating (Striker) jacket and bibs. The jacket may come on and off but the bibs will be on 100% of the time.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:41 PM »
 ??? What about something like a full Striker ice fishing suit?
Dick

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Wonder if it will hold up a bob house

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2017, 05:51 AM »
Wonder if it will hold up a bob house

I think its rated for 1000lb load...

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:07 AM »
Interesting, So it would hold some up for retrieval in a bad situation.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:13 AM »
I`ve seen a couple of wheelers go through the ice ( all ended well) and what I observed is that the quad goes upside down with the tires at the surface floating or suspending  the quad. If the flotation device isn`t deployed immediately I don`t see it happening as it would now be +- 4 ft below the water surface.  And no it wasn`t me going through but in both instances lack of any reasonable amount of common sense.
A buddy went through the ice on his wheeler this winter.  A Polaris 330 - it DID NOT float.  Went to bottom (7 FOW) and was somewhat bouyant there.  A harrowing experience for him.  I don't have to think about my wheeler floating at all - track system will surely take it directly to the bottom.
I have looked at the Nebulus system - they make different packages - $$$$.
I read an article about inflatable PFDs (not necessarily a great idea while ice fishing).  The guy that has this blog wrote a bit on that.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:18 AM »
A buddy went through the ice on his wheeler this winter.  A Polaris 330 - it DID NOT float.  Went to bottom (7 FOW) and was somewhat bouyant there.  A harrowing experience for him.  I don't have to think about my wheeler floating at all - track system will surely take it directly to the bottom.
I have looked at the Nebulus system - they make different packages - $$$$.
I read an article about inflatable PFDs (not necessarily a great idea while ice fishing).  The guy that has this blog wrote a bit on that.

The only thing I could find referencing inflatable PFDs was that there was a risk that a person could get stuck in a hole they fell through with the PFD causing enough force to restrict the ability to breath... i.e the hole was big enough to fall through but not large enough to allow full inflation of the PFD and extra room/space. It seems a very low probability to me but certainly not zero.

I would think the lives saved would be worth it... the same article mentioned that 50 some -odd people in a year alone would have been saved (potentially) if wearing a PFD. How many out of that number would have been trapped as noted by an inflatable?

In short, an inflatable is not ideal, but better than nothing IMO.

Not trying to argue. Thank you for the post and the very interesting blog site.

Paul

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Yep - that's the reference.  I agree.  But there is nothing that's going to be 100%.  Better chances of being done in by a car accident on the way to or from the ice. 
Be careful and be safe - don't go on strange ice without some knowlege of the body of water, carry a spud and test the ice.
That blog has a ton of very good info.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I agree.  Thanks for sharing

Offline Tim Moore

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pro Staff Member, Educator
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:47 AM »
We carry Nebulus EFDs on our machines. It's money spent that I hope I never need to use. Nebulus toyed with making an auto inflate option, but the risk of accidental deployment is too great. I have deployed them for demos, they're not difficult to deploy. I'm not sure how big of a flotation (soda bottle, etc.) you would need to make it pop itself, but that doesn't seem like a bad idea. I keep mine so that the handle is within reach while I am riding. We tell all of our clients where and what it is at the beginning of each trip, to the point that it feels as much of a part of the machine as the handlebars or throttle.

I have spoken to NH F&G about them, but I don't know where they stand. I'm sure they would love to have them and it will likely come down to budget. I can't speak for them though.

Here is the link to my video. It doesn't give detailed info about the Nebulus, more a general safety video. https://www.facebook.com/TimMooreOutdoors/videos/1453152964717060/

There are a ton of videos about it on the Nebulus website https://nebulusflotation.com/pages/videos

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Nice video Tim

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I'm buying one thanks to this blog

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:25 AM »
 :tipup: great video Tim ;D  Hope you never have to utilize your Nebulus :'(
Dick

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I would think if your sled sank and you didn't get to it, you could snag the handle and raise your sled from the depths, right? Thinking I'm purchasing one for this next season.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:51 AM »
I think zwiggles just did!!  ;D

Well, the thing is, a PFD cant work if you are not wearing it. A standard PFD is pretty bulky to be wearing under a jacket, and I fear that an inflatable (which I use) would be hard to access and might not deploy properly under a jacket. With typical winter layers/jackets both are somewhat cumbersome to wear over as well... and I worry that with the weight of waterlogged clothing AND insulated bibs AND heavy jacket, would they be adequate. That being said I have used an inflatable in the past, but recently upgraded to floating (Striker) jacket and bibs. The jacket may come on and off but the bibs will be on 100% of the time.

Most manufacturers recommend not wearing an inflatable under your jacket. It can compress your chest and make it difficult or impoasible to breath if it goes off.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I have the Frabil iFloat suit, coast guard approved.  great suit.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 09, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Damned right!
No helmets, no seat belts and camo all the way in NH
And...Gov just passed the right to carry with no permit! This State is now moving in the right direction...take your liberal ideas and send them back to massachusetts where they belong.
Nothing personal Mr Baker!

I am with you Mobizz, we dont need laws we need people with brains.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 09, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Great looking product... seems like common sense isn't very common today! Losing a  spouse, child, or friend to drowning would make one realize the cost of the products is irrelevant in comparison to the loss. Course we all know it can't happen to you...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.