Author Topic: Perch Palooza Get Slammed In Local Paper  (Read 16791 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Perch Palooza Get Slammed In Local Paper
« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:45 PM »
i had this article mailed to me by a member and i was offended! anyone that knows me knows that i am very conservation minded. i have never been called a "fish hog" before. me and polecat practice strict CPR on trophy game fish. i have expressed my views about conservation on catfish1.com for many years. go read some of my posts on the matter on there(same name). i find alot of trout/steelie guys with this attitude sickness. go read on some of there sites and you will be turned off by the slanderus posts.

IMO pan fish are very prolific and it would be very hard to damage a population. like wax worm said its a very rare occation to get them like that. we havent been graced with a catch even close to that and probably wont.

thanks for your posts guys they made me feel a bit better. shoot i mite even be able to crawl out of my hiding place for the morning bit! lmao

tight lines all: tim
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:10 PM »
anybody post this on the main board....i'm sure alot of others would love to chime in and send some mail....lol
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:13 PM »
if he is so stuck on himself and son and his clan, than why bother. just a thought.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:21 PM »
After reading the reference posts and some of the negative fishing posts by members who ventured out with hope fueled by false information, I think the whole situation is not representative of the intentions and usefulnes of IS.  Providing fake names to lake and misleading fellow anglers is very low.  I will at the very least share the name of the lake.  If you did not want to provide the name of the lake, you could of said nothing and let us just enjoy the pictures, instead, you mislead fellow anglers and that is sad. I hope that other IS members are not as cold. ???
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:36 PM »
After reading the reference posts and some of the negative fishing posts by members who ventured out with hope fueled by false information, I think the whole situation is not representative of the intentions and usefulnes of IS.  Providing fake names to lake and misleading fellow anglers is very low.  I will at the very least share the name of the lake.  If you did not want to provide the name of the lake, you could of said nothing and let us just enjoy the pictures, instead, you mislead fellow anglers and that is sad. I hope that other IS members are not as cold. ???

??? huh ???

You are taking the writer at his word that fox means sylvan?  Just because others went to fox and did not hit them lights out means nothing.  I have smashed perch one day on wawasee and never had a bite the next in the same holes.  They are very difficult to stay on day after day.  Like I said above, that day was one time in 5-10 year experience.  I don't know if they mislead anyone, but to take the writers word for it based on his sources and chastise polecat and riverscum for something you 'think' they did is not right.  Why don't you just ask (via PM) polecat and riverscum if they got them on fox.  It has been a month....don't think the perch are in the same place!!!

I don't disclose my spots to many people cause I don't like losing parking because you tell someone, they tell another, and next thing you have people there more interested in drinking and littering than fishing and then you lose parking.  I have lost several spots this way...no more for me.  I will tell you how deep, what I was using etc., but rarely the lake unless it is the N channel where you can't get on unless you have permission to park at someones residence.  You are better off learning why the fish are where they are and how to make them bite than you are with a list of spots that worked for someone else.  Just my 2 cents...

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:38 PM »
posted  on the main page.......... anyone....I need help to the link...A
thanks wax worm

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Wax Worm,
You are probably right, what was I thinking?  I'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to state the names of the lake.  Fishing is 90% luck and 10% skill, this figure maybe less for others. 
I have enjoyed RiverScum's successes through his pictures; he knows what he's doing on the waters.  Perhaps I misinterpreted the reference posts.  BTW, I am in total agreement with you on how others ruin our name by leaving trash.  I am not agreeing with the writer, I just think it doesn't hurt to share the love.  You yourself have shared many helpful tips to the benefit of others.
Peace!
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:44 AM »
One other thing, he said the other guy, Jon, only kept 25 fish when he went. Well, if he fished 7 days a week thats 175 fish :nono:

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:06 AM »
People don't give this person and more writing time..He is Jealous of people that go out and fish and do well.
These kind of people complane all the time...If you took him to the secret spot and he cough fish,he would have everbody he could think of fishing there..And tell in his article so people would look at him as a hero.

I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:50 AM »
I say we indiana boys find this tool and take him out behind the wood shed.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:09 PM »
The bottomline is that picture looked like an ole Kodak from the late 70's,I knew it was a fluke when I seen it,I know of several guys who made that trip and came home with some small gills................. .Live and Learn my friends......

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:20 PM »
James Phillips

Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers

(Created: Friday, March 14, 2008 8:49 AM EDT)  | Text Size |  print | e-mail

Two ice fishermen entered my life last week. I knew neither of them. We met electronically over the Internet. One goes by his adopted chat-room sobriquet “PoleCat;” the other signed his e-mail “Jon.” (I have no idea of PoleCat’s real name; Jon did not include a surname.)

The two anglers are polar opposites. Each possesses an attitude common to the angling world. But their attitudes are as different as night and day.

I will leave it to you to decide who you would rather fish with.

I encountered PoleCat when a friend suggested I view a bragging-rights photo. “Go to Iceshanty.com, click on Indiana and search around,” he said. Under the heading “Perch Palooza” I found the photo. 

It showed a grotesque mass of dead fish — yellow perch lying in the snow, carefully arranged in rows. They had been taken recently from “Fox Lake” by PoleCat and his angling partner, whom he identified as “RiverScum,” which I gather is the latter’s Internet pseudonym. (A reliable source informed me that Fox Lake is code on this particular Web site for Sylvan Lake. Codes are used to avoid tipping off strangers to potential hot fishing spots.)

What made the photo so grotesque was not the fact the perch were dead, although this did not help. (Dead fish rarely make appealing photos.) It was the number of perch. I tallied a minimum of 125. In the comments that followed, one angler stated, “I counted somewhere in the neighborhood of 165, give or take 10.”

Numerical precision is less important than the size of the bag. It constituted an enormous catch, reminiscent of the days when all fish and game was viewed as free plunder. As one angler stated, “I’ve caught as many as 80-something a few times, but nothing like that.”

Naturally, a number of anglers on the Web site posted their comments.

“Awesome.”

“Must have been a blast!”

“Lot of lip rippin’!”

“I’m jealous!”

“Keep killing them and keep the pics coming.”

What I found most astonishing is that in three and one-half pages of comments, no one suggested the catch might be excessive, or that PoleCat and RiverScum had joined the ranks of those once derided by conservationists as “fish hogs.” As you can see from the above quotes, the opposite occurred.

It should be emphasized that, so far as is known, the two did not violate any law. The state of Indiana imposes no minimum size limit on yellow perch. It imposes no bag limit. An angler is free to take as many as he wants.

The egregious gluttony exhibited by PoleCat and RiverScum, envied by their Internet acolytes, contrasts sharply with that of Jon. We were discussing via e-mail one of my columns — not the perch photo. Jon wrote:

“I have adopted my father-in-law’s idea of 20 fish. Twenty fish is enough to clean and eat. Ten crappie, two perch, eight bluegills, etc. The basket is full enough. No need to spend all evening cleaning 100, 6-to-8-inch bluegills. I have watched others do this time and time again.”

Bluegills, like yellow perch, also fall under the free-plunder category. There is no legal restriction in Indiana on the size or number of bluegills you can catch or have in possession.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources justifies this lamentable state of affairs by invoking science. The state argues biological studies have shown that sport fishing has little or no effect on perch and bluegill populations, therefore anglers should be allowed to keep as many as they desire. Many anglers dispute this, but that is beside the point.

The issue is not biological, but moral. As one state biologist recently told me, increasing numbers of individuals, including fishermen, are offended. They are complaining about the great number of fish killed by some anglers. They view the acts of fish hogs as violating our stewardship responsibilities toward nature. They declare these acts exceed the boundaries of acceptable behavior, especially the code of sportsmanship that should dictate an angler’s conduct. (Restraint and moderation are the foundations of outdoor sportsmanship.) 

My personal objection involves the ascendancy of science over morality in fish and wildlife management. If fish-hoggery does no harm to, say, the overall population, biological advocates declare that it should be allowed. Even if you concede the population argument (which I don’t), this line of reasoning is based on the flawed premise that science — not morality — should dictate acceptable behavior.

I always respond to an individual standing atop the science pedestal that “science” via The Pill can prevent his/her 14-year-old daughter from becoming pregnant. Does this mean that society should encourage her to have sex at her young age?

Science always is subservient to morality. It is only one of many factors that contribute to moral evolution.

Fish hogs frequently argue their acts are not morally repugnant because they are lawful. The premise of this argument is flawed. It equates morality with legality, ignoring the fact that law derives from morality, not the other way around. Many acts generally viewed as immoral are not necessarily illegal.

I am told increasing opposition to these heavy bags is causing the state to “think about” imposing a bag limit on yellow perch and bluegills. But I have little faith any action will soon be taken.

So, to go back to my introduction, which angler do you most admire and who would you rather have as a fishing partner — fish-hog PoleCat or gentleman Jon?

James H. Phillips can be reached at [email protected].

Here is is article copied and pasted  for all to read. Is he really an outdoorsman?????
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Only if it is catch and release????????

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I remember one year on Prarie Creek when the perch fishing was excellent, I knocked 'em dead. I had something like 40 of 50 fatties on the ice when a photographer for the local paper came out and snapped my picture. The next day on the front page, there was my mug with all those fish on the ice. I strolled into the bait shop that eve. to re-up my supply for another outing when I heard the guy in front of me say " can you believe that guy with all those perch.....he sould be arrested"!  He turned around at me and said Don't you think"? I said yeah he sure should! ;D :D

My point is that jealousy will certainly spawn alot of chatter. You have to be happy for others or you will simply make yourself miserable. I haven't read the article yet. Probably because there is just too much hype surrounding this whole thing. I have had one heck of a tough time catching jumbos this year with that said I was skeptical when I saw the picture but was hopefull that it was legit because it kind of spurred me not to give up. Regardless, the last thing we need are people who have no idea of what is good conservation or bad conservation, nailing fellow anglers to the wall. Just my 2 cents!!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Thanks to all the shanty members for sticking up for our fellow fishermen.I personally know polecat and riverscum, these guys are out in the trenches fishing 4-7 days a week and this perch thing is a once every couple of years thing,and as much time and effort as they put into fishing they deserve it.I would fish with these guys anytime.They also photograph and release many fish,as for Jimmy Orvis I really don't care what he thinks.   

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2008, 05:27 PM »
So does Cecil still post on here. I know him from the taxidermy shows I used to go to back in the 90's. Cecil and his wife are great people, they both done allot for the Ind. Taxider**censored**ociation. Haven't seen them since I stop going to the shows, he does one hell of a job on fish. The first show I ever went to. He mounted the state record Northern that was caught back in the early 90's and had it at the Taxidermy show in Ft.Wayne.

You rang?  ;D

Thanks for the kind comments Musky8it.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:34 PM »
I agree with TaggedFish...once every couple years or so you happen upon the motherload (I have NOT yet) but there should be nothing wrong with it if it comes along.

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:51 AM »
I don't get on the computer on the weekends. I did read the article this weekend, though and there shortly after cleaned the 71 perch I caught Saturday on it  ;D. I made the comment to my father-in-law this weekend that if these doggon' perch would sit still we would fish them out in a few years. As everyone that perch fishes knows they don't sit still and there are a lottttttt more in the lakes than what we catch in the winter. The fact is the very large majority of us only fish for the yellow bellies around here for the late ice fishing season. They rarely get targeted at all the entire rest of the year. I am not saying that some don't fish them year round. There are a few lakes that they are easy to find and catch around here throughout the year, but the majority of our lakes they disappear into the depths and are forgotten the rest of the year. Most of us have switched to bass or walleye or crappies and bluegills. I will say this, I have been fishing the James chain through the ice for 'gills and crappies for a long time and have not seen the fishing or overall quality of the fish change. From year to year I have seen slight differences, but every year that I thought "man the fish are really starting to get hurt" the next year we knock them dead. I get tired of catching the gills and crappies after a while and always switch to perch as the season progresses. Lately it has been really good, but I had many day with very few fish many more times than I caught a bunch of them. Riverscum and Polecat my hats off to ya that was an awesome catch. Next time you catch that many post another pic and maybe you will be famous again. As for your fellow iceshanty members we will be here to shoot a few emails to the "elitist" fisherman who apparently think that we are "fish hogs". I miss the days when Cecil Baird and a good friend of mine Bernie Behnke wrote for our local paper. Bernie and Cecil kept it simple. They wrote of our area. We didn't have to hear about their4 trips to Canada every week. They wrote to the people who actually read the article. Bernie was told when that people did not want to read the stuff he was writing. Well everytime I read Phillips or Mulligan's articles I simply get mad, so for the most part I don't even check them anymore. I used to subscribe to the Herald just to get Bernie's article every week. I canceled my subsicription the day they changed writers.
God Bless everyone of you may you soon post a pic that someone may call you a "fish hog"  ;D!

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:03 AM »
No possesion limit....No problem!!!

No size limit...No problem!!!

No laws broken...No problem!!!

Reading a whiney A@# journalist who
cant catch but maybe one or two
trout...Priceless!!!!

I'll bet if it was him instead of Riverscum
and Polecat we wouldnt even be having
this discussion.

Way to kill'em you two!!!

What would I be called for the 200 or so I
caught myself the last couple weeks???
And dont even ask how many holes I
had to drill to chase them little suckers
around.

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:23 AM »
icekingjoe, is that you jimmy?

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:03 AM »
this is my "favorite" quote from Phillips' article.
i think this just about sums up his entire outlook on life.

"My personal objection involves the ascendancy of science over morality in fish and wildlife management."

he would have the game and fish laws be determined by the people he would deem the most moral.(those who shared his opinions, not those who hold 4 year or (more) degrees).
individual opinions of morality have no place in the  drafting of laws.
this guy simply wants to impose his views on others.

write to the advertisers on his articles' page, and let them know what you think about them-by placing their ad on his column they are tacitly approving of Phillips' rantings- and let them know you will be hesitant to support their agenda by purchasing their goods and services.

the allmighty dollar will shut Phillips up
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:22 PM »

Offline Bigadbass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Once you get to know me, you'll understand why.
« Reply #52 on: Mar 18, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Has anyone checked out the Hush Puppy remarks in the comments for the paper?? http://www.fwdailynews.com/articles/2008/03/14/features/columnists/james_phillips/doc47da73a68dae1496567767.txt

I tried to comment back that Hush Puppy was code for James Phillips, but for some strange reason they won't post it. HUH, kinda makes you think doesn't it?

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Went to this web site   http://www.fwdailynews.comFound a Grip column call "The Fence Post". A lot like IceShanty.com. Maybe some members could sign up and compete with Mr. Phillips. ;D Use secret code name. Mr. Justice :flex:

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #54 on: Mar 18, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Man, there are alot of responces on the KPC website too. Glad to see all the support for River Scum and Pole Cat. :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Man, there are alot of responces on the KPC website too. Glad to see all the support for River Scum and Pole Cat. :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Make a link for KPC ?? don`t know that one.Would like to read some responces..

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2008, 03:08 PM »
Go to kpc.com click on sports, then click outdoor life. James H.'s article will be on there. Scroll clear to the bottom, and all the feed back will follw his rantings.

Offline Bigadbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 18, 2008, 03:21 PM »
I'm telling you, I have tried literally 10 times today to add the following line to the KPC string and they wont put it in:

Hush Puppy is "code" for James Phillips.

Now why won't they add it, unless it's right? I am honestly starting to believe that we have all been call "morons" and "Hillbillys" by James. I think  one of you guys must have really ticked him off. All right, who was it? LOL

Offline Bigadbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 18, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Hey, I finally got the response to my last bit. This is on the KPC string. I am Bigbass on that string.

James Tew, online editor wrote on Mar 18, 2008 4:31 PM:
" Bigbass: No. They are completely different IP addresses. "

I think I really did hit the nail (James) right smack on the head. That is some funny stuff.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:50 PM »
kinda like my wk and laptop and home are all different ip's........he used the new guys desk for lunch. ;D

nice some one notices

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.