Author Topic: Dogfish Vs. Elpout/Burbot  (Read 21517 times)

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
Dogfish Vs. Elpout/Burbot
« on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I think I have asked this question before, but never got a straight answer.  Is a Dogfish and Elpout/Burbot the same fish?  I know the Elpout and Burbot are one in the same, but is what we Hoosiers call a dog fish the same exact fish as the burbot?  They sure look the same.
If they are indeed the same, why do we regard them as a junk fish around here, but up north they call them the poor mans Lobster, and actually seek them out in the winter months? ???
Carp

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dogfish Vs. Elpout/Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Two totally different fish.

BOWFIN/DOGFISH

BURBOT/EELPOUT
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:20 AM »
Seriously carpy is josh'in ya they are one and the same...look at the pics. heard burbot (dogfish) is a great eatin fish,just looks wierd, so throw out a tip up with a dead gill and crank 'em in.  No limit in indiana and they ave about 8-12 pounds.

EAT UP!!!!!!!!!! ;D

P>S> the above msg might not be entirerly true
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 04:46 AM »
They both look nasty to me!!!!!!!! 

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:34 AM »
These are absolutly two different fish.  Bowfin, Burbot.  The Burbot lives in more northern waters a lot like perch and pike but usually even more north.  The Bowfin (dogfish) is found everywhere.  It's nasty and mean.  Although fun to catch, has been known to scare off most fish like the gar.  The bowfin is much more related to the gar.  It may look familiar to the Burbot, but is know where near the same species.  If you still question this, do some research on where each fish is found and it will be more clear.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:13 AM »
Here's  a pic of a dogfish on Long Lake that I took yesterday...

I always thought this would fun to go to...http://www.eelpoutfestival.com/photos06.html

Maybe we should start a "Dogfish Ice Fishing Festival".....doesn't have the same appeal!! LOL

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:59 PM »
But doesn't this Dogfish on Long lake that crappiehunter posted have the same marking and head as the burbot?
Carp

snowzone

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:12 PM »
They are defiantly two different species. Just do a little reseach and look at their scientific name. Two completely different families. 

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:16 PM »
The Eelpout festival, On Leech Lake, is alot of fun!!!! I would recommend fishing it if you haven't.C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Seriously carpy is josh'in ya they are one and the same...look at the pics. heard burbot (dogfish) is a great eatin fish,just looks wierd, so throw out a tip up with a dead gill and crank 'em in.  No limit in indiana and they ave about 8-12 pounds.

EAT UP!!!!!!!!!! ;D

P>S> the above msg might not be entirerly true

They are different and they can't be good to eat. I mounted a BOWFIN or DOGFISH for a kid who caught one at Maxinkuckee years ago. And the meat was like mashed potatoes, soft and mushy. I think there also was a black mud line, and the fish stunk real bad when I went to skin it out. Anyone who would eat them would have to have a strong stomach.

As for if the fish are the same, they aren't. The Snakehead, bowfin (dogfish), and burbot
(lawyer, eelpout, or freshwater cod) are all three different. I got this info from Wis. DNR site. Click link below it show pictures and discribes each fish.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/faq/snakehead.html

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:40 PM »
The most noticeable difference between the two is the chin barbel on the Burbot.  I've heard burbot are great to eat. 

I caught my first bowfin a couple springs ago fishing for Crappie in a channel.  They are a blast!  They are slimy as can be, and watch out for those teeth.  It's too bad people leave them on the ice or shore to die, really a neat fish.  They are a prehistoric fish that can actually use its air bladder as a lung. 

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Me w/ some pout last Feb on Cass Lake in MN.  Slimy as all hello, but fun to catch!!!  You can see the patterns very good in this picture from my headlights on out on the ice!

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I only angle through ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:08 PM »
burbot= delicious. dogfish=are good to eat according to some people i know from down south, but you wouldnt catch me eating one. as far as what i read about gar earlier, they too are very good to eat. dogfish have scales and some wicked teeth. pout are smooth, and you wont "loose" a finger if it ends up inside their mouth unlike those dogfish. We shoot them all the time bowfishing (dogfish) in very shallow water, sometimes only inches. never caught one ice fishing though. dogfish and bubot=very different fish.

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:22 PM »
They are always a blast to catch, but also a big dissapointment when you realize what you have.  I have never targeted them, but catch them pretty regularly.  I always think I have a nice bass or pike, then I see a *&%$@!^ dogfish.  I can't see how anybody could eat them though.  PURDUEBASS
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:23 PM »
They are always a blast to catch, but also a big dissapointment when you realize what you have.  I have never targeted them, but catch them pretty regularly.  I always think I have a nice bass or pike, then I see a *&%$@!^ dogfish.  I can't see how anybody could eat them though.  PURDUEBASS
I am with you on that there partner!!!!!!!

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:25 PM »
If you guys get the chance go to Leech Lake in Walker Minnesota.  They have a 3 day tourney of catching ell pout/burbot.  It is a good time and alot of fun.  Here is a link to the home page.... http://www.eelpoutfestival.com/ and they have the dates through 2020 and lots of pictures from previous festivities.
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:19 PM »

Used to catch alot of them on Story Lake in the summer with cut up pieces of bluegill and crappie after I fillet them.

The biggest one I caught was just over 27 inches, caught it on a 1 inch artificial Rebel catalpa worm lure, while fishing the edge of pads where the bluegill were spawning.

I sure as hell wouldn't eat one, I don't even like touching the nasty things.

BOILER UP.  FIRE TILLER
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Hey Carp ol 'buddy how R ya
  I got to tell ya,  Eel pout Good  Dog fish is bad and they are two different species.  Eel pout tastes like lobster.  I had some in Minnesota quite good.  I don't think we have any this far south.
  Just keeping in touch.
  Da-Roc
  Rocky Martin
  Porter County indiana

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Stick your fingers in their mouths and tell me they are the same fish.  I wont tell you which, but one has teeth like a bass and one like a barracuda.

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Hey Carp ol 'buddy how R ya
  I got to tell ya,  Eel pout Good  Dog fish is bad and they are two different species.  Eel pout tastes like lobster.  I had some in Minnesota quite good.  I don't think we have any this far south.

agreed, hard to beat freshly caught pout cooked up in the fishhouse. havent found a way to cook it where it doesnt taste good.
and if you have ever seen a dogfish skull, there is no way you would go near their mouth. two different species, one is great to eat and fun to catch (pout), the other makes a great target during the summer to bowfish for (dogfish).

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:55 AM »
All I have to say about that is kill everyone you can. Dogfish and gar are the only 2 fish I know that kill other fish- not for food, just to kill them. KILL THEM ALL!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2007, 01:45 PM »
I don't even like touching the nasty things.

I wonder if Rico has ever kissed one?
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:40 PM »
All I have to say about that is kill everyone you can. Dogfish and gar are the only 2 fish I know that kill other fish- not for food, just to kill them. KILL THEM ALL!
you kill a gar, you better eat it or its just as bad as wasting a pout. both are very good eating.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:45 PM »
Didnt know that. Learn something new every day. I guess I have wasted some good eating in my time. Wont happen again.Last year caught a 42 incher total lenght, would of made a big meal.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:07 AM »
Well, let me ask this then.....Go to the picture that Crappiehunter posted of the Fish on Long Lake.  Is that a Burbot or Dogfish?  Don't those Markings look just like the pictures of the Burbot posted?  Plus there was no false eye on the tail?
Carp

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Yeah, but the dogs anal fin is about 1.5 inches long where as the pouts anal fin runs 3/4ths of the way back to the middle of its body.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Looking At the pictures it looks as if the pouts tail swims up and down ..where as the dogs tail swims side to side. Kinda Like A Whale to a Shark..they do look alot alike ..and I have argued that they were the samething ..but not now that I noticed that. :afro:

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2007, 04:43 PM »
Good Points.... I am convinced that this is a dogfish on long Lake, and they are not one and the same as the burbot.  Thanks for all the input. ;)
Carp

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Looking At the pictures it looks as if the pouts tail swims up and down ..where as the dogs tail swims side to side. Kinda Like A Whale to a Shark..they do look alot alike ..and I have argued that they were the samething ..but not now that I noticed that. :afro:
both swim the same. kept both in captivity for a while. found out that dogfish are highly cannabalistic, and everything out there likes to eat little pout.

Offline rangerdave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Used to catch alot of them on Story Lake in the summer with cut up pieces of bluegill and crappie after I fillet them.

The biggest one I caught was just over 27 inches, caught it on a 1 inch artificial Rebel catalpa worm lure, while fishing the edge of pads where the bluegill were spawning.

I sure as hell wouldn't eat one, I don't even like touching the nasty things.

BOILER UP.  FIRE TILLER

Ah ha!  Hey jimmy I knew I wasn't the only one who didnt like touching those things. Very cool looking fish. They almost climb out of the hole when you bring them up. pretty creepy. I have pout fillets in freezer from outing up north with jimmygunns. Havent attempted to eat them yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.