Author Topic: Best spring bobber??  (Read 15931 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Best spring bobber??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2011, 02:24 PM »
anyone know where you can get a big lighter or zippo lighter springs without having to buy the lighters?

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Wax, do  you know how long the bic lighter spring is, by any chance. I have a couple old bic lighters, but i'm asking, because  i also have probably' 30 or so old lighters , like a bic. I took one apasrt and the spring is aboutan inch long, and i'm guessing about 1/16 th" in dia. Welcome to have them if you can use them. I don't use them anymore....!

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I've tried several different kinds I like the HT super-sensitive the best you put on with heat shrink I thaw them out in my mouth for a couple seconds. gotta use a needle to thread the line through.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Wax, do  you know how long the bic lighter spring is, by any chance. I have a couple old bic lighters, but i'm asking, because  i also have probably' 30 or so old lighters , like a bic. I took one apasrt and the spring is aboutan inch long, and i'm guessing about 1/16 th" in dia. Welcome to have them if you can use them. I don't use them anymore....!

How tight are the coils in spring?   I may be able to be stretched a bit to give it some more length.  I use the HT's also, but tired of de icing them when outside the shanty in sub freezing temps.  Looking for something a bit shorter  than the HT's to modify so I still get the sensitivity but not the icing issue.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:59 PM »
The coils on the spring i took apart, are real tight,and could easily be stretched, but it seems they are a bit stiff. As small as the dia. is, i'm thinking it would freeze quickly.If you can use, or want to try, one of mine as shown on a previous post, no problem. They are sensitive. You can wrap it, with thread, if you like. I put some on my HT super blues, and have no problem. I can even make any size eye you want. Most are 1/4" or so, with bead, or painted end. They're around 5" long and usually need to be snipped off a little. When i install one, i'll make a few initial wraps with thread, and when i have enough wraps to hold it in place, and can still slide it in or out, i hang what i'm planning on using the most, on the eye, and see what kind of bend it has You can slide it back in (stiffer ), or pull it out more, for greater sensitivity, before finish wrapping. Most of mine i'm using run about 3-4" long. You have to play with it a bit to tweak it. If you don't like it, cut the wrap and remove it. No harm done..!

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:08 PM »
the bic spring is roughly an inch long I stretched mine to the desired length and slid Mr. wiggler through then a touch of rod tip glue to hold it in the spring. I can slide it in and out of the foam in the added rod tip to get the sensitivity I'm looking for ,for just about any size jig. I had tried just the spring with a few of the coils straightened out with the initial rounds left in tact great sensitivity but iced up quick Wigglers larger loop stopped all that and works perfectly

Offline fshnbudy01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Icehawk,
    I started using these Frabill springs this year and I really like them.  They are as sensitive as any spring Ive found and when you buy another pole, it literally takes 30 seconds to install them.  I know Summit bait and tackle had them last time I was there, so I think they are readily available.   

"Quit lookin at my Marmooska."

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I snapped the end off one of my St Croix rods this week adjusting the spring bobber...talk about a bummer!!!

:%$#!:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:26 PM »
i tried a frabill spring for the first time this year and it constantly iced up...so now its back to the skool springs...

Offline jerryklop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I like the HT's.  I pulled the spring out of the rubber thing that fasten's to the rod and re-inserted it so it slides back and forth (in the rubber) to adjust the sensitivity.  Works really well and for the money they are well worth it IMO.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I snapped the end off one of my St Croix rods this week adjusting the spring bobber...talk about a bummer!!!

:%$#!:

I did the same thing last week  :'(

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Those foam and plastic inserts dont fit in some rod tips....they also ice up easily which is what I am trying to avoid.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:21 PM »
What I like to do is when you get a fish right on top of your lure, really slowly raise it up and your spring tip will start to bend and it has it swallowed.  I noticed I need to do this a lot when using flies but they hit it hard with jigs.  Dunno why.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:54 PM »
What I like to do is when you get a fish right on top of your lure, really slowly raise it up and your spring tip will start to bend and it has it swallowed.  I noticed I need to do this a lot when using flies but they hit it hard with jigs.  Dunno why.

Most flies sit horizontal in the water so the fish easily suck them in without much line or spring movement.  They are also usually lighter than jigs so they are sucked in easier with less force.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.