Author Topic: box tip up  (Read 4714 times)

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
box tip up
« on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Box tip up. I have designed a lighting system that blinks as the fish swims away. You can count the blinks so you know how much line is getting taken out. you know if the fish is swimming fast or slow. Last year we used them all winter. We fish in water that has blue gills perch northern bass walleye and crappie. The game was you had to guess the fish you had on before you could pull it in. We guessed correct 95%. We fish walleyes at night alot. With the light system and box tip up. we were catching 4 to one with normal tip ups. We knew what the fish was doing with out walking out of the shanty to check.  What do you guys think do I have a product I can sell?  I have to figure out how to get pictures loaded. I have to wait for ice to get video recorded.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: box tip up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Does it jig or do anything to impart action to the bait? If not I don't understand how it can catch fish 4/1 compared to any other tip up?

Similarly like saying a tip up made of pine catches more fish than one made of oak...

It does sound cool though and I hope it does well!!

<°)))>{

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:39 PM »
They dont jig but close to no resistance.  The key to catching is that you see what the fish is doing buy the blinking spool lights. You can sit in warm shanty drinking your beverage of choice and watch what the fish is doing. Every 5 inches of line a light blinks.  I have 18 of these boxes. Every three are painted same color and intern the blinking like color matches the box color. This way you also know who's tip up has a fish on it.  I also have a light inside the box so you dont have to hold on to your flash light at night. We run charcoal heaters in them. I have been playing with propane pilot lights and oil lamps. I keep going back to charcoal.   My father in law does have a finicky fish factory that has the jigger in it. My box still out produces that one. I had to custom make my spools to allow for the light switch to work with it to flash every 5 inches of line.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:55 AM »
only way to know for sure is customer approval and great reviews....send me a few and I'll try them out and let you know what I think...I'll pass out info to my buddies via word of mouth and this site  ;)  ;D ::)
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Most people go by customer reviews and word of mouth.. free samples would be cool to! Like to get the word out some times you got to give away free samples..

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:55 PM »
Great idea! I would love to have that set up.

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I have a few uncles that ice fish every day all winter field testing already but thanks for the offer. I do agree that the best advertising is word of mouth. I have been
self employed for 22 years 95% of my work is word of mouth.  I had to get my Design figured out. We have done three years of product testing to check on durability. I wanted to get the wow factor thats when i put the spool lights on. Its amazing the number of missed fish went to almost none. No more guessing whats going on the light tells you from the warmth of the shanty. As soon as we get ice in WI were going to get some video of the boxes in action.  I do fish northern WI. My father in law lives on the lake we mainly fish. He gets questioned all the time what is that goofy son in law up to now. The only problem is half the lake can see whats going on with the light system at night. With my father in law living on the lake every one knows him. Last year my father in law was getting calls from guys telling us what was going on with the boxes once they figured out what the blinking lights ment.    The blinking light is the smallest  led light i can buy in plastic golf ball but on white snow and dark it shows up very well.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Well....if no freebies for try outs...how about videos or pictures of them? 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Ill get some summer pic and video. I never took any in action yet. Hopefully end of November we will have walk able ice.  What is best way to put pictures on here?????

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2016, 08:25 PM »
Sounds like a neat idea you've got. Can't wait to see the video.

Offline cylegreen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Following...
My gear:

Marcum LX-9
Otter XT Cabin
Frabill Bunker 310
10" Eskimo propane HC40

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:58 AM »
This warm weather in WI is not helping on the video taking. Some years were ice fishing next weekend. As soon I get walk able ice ill get the video.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:47 AM »
how about just some pics?

Offline climbamt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:18 PM »
I agree, a few pictures would be awesome!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Following.. 

Offline jigginrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:33 PM »
I have a buddy that puts a light on the ""T" of his Beaver Dams and you can see if the fish spins the "T" even a smidge

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:33 PM »
I have never posted pictures on this site any words of wisdom from the pros???

Im also working up a modified wooden tip up using beaver dam guts.  Blinking lights as the spool turns. I believe in testing to make sure it will hold up. The boxes are awesome but they do take up alot of room.

It took three years before I got happy with my tip-up box design. I wanted to make sure that they will hold up. I have looked at and used all other tip up boxes and modified what I didn't like about them.  We tried charcoal heaters, oil heaters, propane heater. tested every kind of charcoal to see what worked the best.  I have many many $1000 into making and testing. That doesn't include all the beer that's drank during testing. I have 18 boxes out being tested buy uncles that fish every day in the winter.

Sorry Im being protective of my idea. There are a ton of really smart guys on here that can copy my idea if they see how I did it.

As soon as I get out fishing I will get exterior pictures and video of them in action.

WI weather finally desided that we can cool down and make ice!!

Off to work on the shanty build we need a warm place to fish from.

Thanks Chris

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:46 PM »
PM sent.. 

I have seen several "box" designs and I expect most work great, Problem is the extra bulk and weight.  Wouldn't be a problem if able to drive on the ice or even with a sled / atv..  But here in NW pa that isn't possible. 

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2016, 02:02 PM »
Thanks beaver fishing . We normally have walkable ice in November. This year hopefully it's walkable on small lakes this weekend.   The boxes are made for night time walleyes. No frozen holes and you don't gave to leave the shanty to check what's going on after the strike. We do have to walk out every hour and half to add charcoal to the heaters. The propane is awesome but very expensive to build.

Offline winterfishonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2016, 02:08 PM »
I have a favorite uncle that's trying to retire and he doesn't have alot of $. He is my main product tester. So im thinking I can add this to my current business and he can have nice side job in retirement to support him and his wife. I own a home remodeling business - custom cabinet shop.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Sounds like the same type lights I use on my beaver dam arctic tip ups called Lighthouse tip up lights, let you see exactly what the fish is doing. I use the foam rubber hole covers no hole freeze up either. Not sure what your price point would be but anything close to $100 a box tip up and you won't sell very many. I have looked at the bite me box tip ups also but unless you are rich nobody is going to spend that much money for a tip up.

http://www.tipuplights.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcNurb_vM0

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Thanks beaver fishing . We normally have walkable ice in November. This year hopefully it's walkable on small lakes this weekend.   The boxes are made for night time walleyes. No frozen holes and you don't gave to leave the shanty to check what's going on after the strike. We do have to walk out every hour and half to add charcoal to the heaters. The propane is awesome but very expensive to build.

Should use a candle to warm the box it's cheap and effective  coal gets a tad warm and takes to long to turn to coals ..

Also would love to see any pictures you can come up with..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.