Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 255936 times)

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #90 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I'm hoping for ice here around Dec. 1st. Only 5 weeks!!  Usually that's pretty close to walking on water time here in central WI!  Fin
Nice, your lucky here in western NY it is 1st. of the year for us (me anyway) I like 3-4" before I start drilling holes through it

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I bought a 2 man Bass Pro Thermal shanty a couple years ago (Clam made them).  Came with the bench seat.  This year I decided it was time to lighten it up a bit.  I removed the bench seat and replaced the angle iron with aluminum angle.  Then reatached the seat cushion, leaving the back rest off (i never used the back rest anyways).  I would guestimate I shaved off a good 15lbs.  Aluminum was around $20, so I figure it was worth it.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Problem: Gear & Equipment sliding around and falling out of Fish Trap

Solution: Installation of D-Rings on each side.  (Originally I thought of using eye-bolts, but nixed the idea b/c they stuck out too far).  Bungy cord the two holding buckets and or gear against the wall of the Fish Trap.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #93 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Icebucketjohn,

Where did you get the D-ring set up? I like that idea.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I got the hard, plastic D-rings from a local camping/backpacking outfitter, but they're available from the following stores:

JoAnn Fabrics (Or any Craft Store)
Home Depot
Lowes
Ace Hardware

The attachment piece (either metal or plastic is also available at most hardware stores.

I drilled an 1/8" hole and riveted them to the sled.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:51 AM »
Slight redesign on the attachment clips.  I found better, plastic ones at Lowes.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #96 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Hey $ignmoney, can you give more details on the lighting system? Are they running off from a 12 battery, and how about running the wires, and attaching the lights. Great idea on the switches, but why 5.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #97 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I have a Clam Yukon and installed rod holders on each side using the clever hinge trick, pretty simple and really slick.  Thanks!

Now I am thinking of putting a third line close to the Trap, right between me an my buddy.  I am thinking of either another rod holder and using a really short rod, or using a rattle rig.  Any further suggestions on a method?  If I use the rod holder, it will just be another hinge trick.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Dec 01, 2010, 01:20 AM »
Hey $ignmoney, can you give more details on the lighting system? Are they running off from a 12 battery, and how about running the wires, and attaching the lights. Great idea on the switches, but why 5.
Sure, I used speaker wire. Got the LED lights set so I can run any or all of them. I added 1 "extra" switch in case I add more.I was thinking of mounting a big LED light under my seat so on the way back I could turn that on and light my way, at least in front of me. Boat deep cycle battery. yea its heavy BUT I will not get left in the dark on a lake by myself in the middle of the night.Dragging it on the skis make it pull real easy. Ran elec. auger,lights,camera,radio off it last year and never left me in the dark,even after 6-7 hours of fishing. I used black electrical tape to hold the lights on each tube,went around and around till they weren't going to fall off, remember to aim the lights first tho. Maybe blue LED lights on the outside, light up the sides and top? ;) hope this helps

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 03, 2010, 04:15 AM »
I came up with this trying to make more room for my equipment.

Next is going to be the ski's.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Nice idea wetline! I may have to try that. Is seat going to be stable if you slide around, stretch etc.?

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Thanks Money, yea its pretty stable. I used 14 guage stainless. The two pipes mounted to the top of the sled keep it from leaning front to back. It is mounted to the bottom of sled in between the runners. That area flexes downward a little. Love the extra room.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:05 AM »
So i have all the new mods i wanted to do figured out including the ski installation, but there is 1 left. The rod storage. I have 2 soft rod cases. I use 1 for my pan fish rods and the other for my walleye rods. When i'm fishing  i like to have the 3 rods sitting there ready to go, so i can switch quickly. Any ideas for holders to keep the rods secure and ready to go. Something that attaches inside my scout. Thanks

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Finally have the skis on. This idea was so i could lower the sled without having to remove the skis. Just pull the detent pin and lower each side. Seems to work well. I might have to trade the 1/2 conduit for something heavier.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:24 PM »
wetline005...great idea on the skis...I put skis on my fish trap last year only stationary, pain lifting off and on...what did you use for channel brackets on sled?  when you lower it, does the channel bracket have to be 1 in. deep or greater, to allow for 1/2 conduit leg, to let ski lay out flat,after pulling pins ?  excellant idea...lets us know how it works for you...thanks

Offline Papinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Thats an awesome idea wetline. I've been trying to figure out how to hinge skiis on my two man and you got it figured out. Only mod I will do to this for the two man is putting a side panel on the one ski so when I sit in the tow man my feet will be off the ice. I would also like to know what you used for channel if you don't want to post you can send me a pm.

Once again great idea.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Hey jepik, I used two pieces of steel that was bent into a 90 degree angle. I then spot welded them together to make the channel. I think they are about an inch deep. I drilled the hole in the conduit about a 1/4 inch from the bottom to allow it to swing out flat. If i was to do it again i would make the channel a little bit narrower or use bigger pipe. It's a little shaky with the extra clearance in the channel.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:22 AM »
very nice wetline! I used the pipe in to pipe method to get mine up. works good, pain yes, pulls so easy its worth the effort. I used 1/2" steel pipe, maybe that would stiffen it up some.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:37 PM »
but there is 1 left. The rod storage. I have 2 soft rod cases. I use 1 for my pan fish rods and the other for my walleye rods. When i'm fishing  i like to have the 3 rods sitting there ready to go, so i can switch quickly. Any ideas for holders to keep the rods secure and ready to go. Something that attaches inside my scout. Thanks

How about cold snap rod holders?
http://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=100/category_id=59/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd100.htm

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:33 PM »
wetline005...I went to menards,pick up 4.. 1/2x 12in. galv. nipples,4 base plates threaded,to attach skis to the nipples,in the shelving area I found heavy duty 24in.x3/4in. C channel that is a perfect fit for the nipples...I just finished putting it together...I think its going to be a keeper...less than $20. invested...I thinking about getting 4, 6in. nipples and 4 couplings if the snow would get too deep....thanks again for sharing your good ideas..  :)

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:42 PM »
No problem jepik. I seen the threaded base plates, but thought i might want the skis to to rotate flat when they are in the out position so they will ride on top of the snow when traveling. But might not have too. Take some pics when your done. I post my pics hoping people will take my ideas and improve on them. I'm just finishing up on my custom rod holders. I can't stop with the mods, its way to fun.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Wanted some rod holders that would be easy on and easy off. Maybe a little over kill, but i can't help it!

Next will be the auger. I hate sitting across the sled on top of everything.

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #112 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:12 AM »
wetline nice holders. what did you use for the inside?

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Thanks peterpike! I just glued some rubber inside. The tubes were a little bit big, so i put the rubber in there to grip and take up space.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:20 PM »
I think i just finished the rest of the mods i wanted to do. Installed runners, d rings inside sled for bungee cords. Installed some Auger holders i made. I think the ship is ready to sail.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Some more mods. This time the vexilar.

Offline capt s

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:22 PM »
hey wetline what kind of material is that you used for the runners on your shanty. thanks Capt.Scott

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I believe the material is called delron.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Delron or Delrin... Originally Developed by Dupont:  Here's the scoop:

Advantages of acetal based plastics: Delrin

Chemically resistant
Very low water absorption
Resistant to hydrolysis by base
Disadvantages of acetal based plastics:

Low impact strength
Low melting temperature
More rigid than nylons
Very high thermal expansion
Sensitive to acid hydrolysis and chlorine attack

Offline capt s

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:36 PM »
that sounds like some good stuff where do i get it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.