Author Topic: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?  (Read 27843 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:35 PM »
The biggest gimmick of all time, causing frustration for thousands of ice fishermen for years.....

THE SPOON ICE AUGER!!!!

Everyone says that these things will cut like a banshee if they are sharpened properly. I am here to say that they suck no matter how you sharpen them! The only way to make a hole slower would be to sit on the ice bare butt and allow your body heat to melt the ice. I would rather dig a hole in the ice with a #2 gravel shovel than one of these.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:38 PM »
How come I found that absolutely hilarious but my girlfiend looks at me like a wierdo when I tell her to read it?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I had a friend who had a sharp one and it cut like no tomorrow. I got one and Skipper your alternate method would have saved me alot of frustration. I still pull it out and try to sharpen it I don't know why, I just can't accept defeat I guess. This season I'll just think of my cheeks freezing on the ice when I see it in the corner and want to take another crack at it.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 19, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Buzz stix caught more fisherman than fish.

Polar vision=Waste of money

Pac shack

Power tower

Showdown

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Jigging tip-up, just a joke!!!
tip-up siren, scare the heck out of a fish,
arm grip sleeve, from Cabela's WHY??? rather use my spikes.
eagle claw ice cleats the little metal ones that hurt your feet,
ice auger quick coupler, bit falls of in hole and see ya later bit.
slush sucker, what happened to the old fashon scoop?
Just a few ideas from me. What is with everything being made out of plastic from H.T Enterprises??? I understand saving money but plastic breaks when cold.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:11 AM »
my fish tv camera hasn't caught me any fish

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:29 PM »

Yeah MarCum makes a version of that, too. What I don't get is how spendy they are, ridiculous

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:36 AM »
my fish tv camera hasn't caught me any fish
If anything, you catch less fish having one with you. A buddy of mine has one. The thing is cool as all heck but there have been plenty of times I've been starring at his little screen while flags are up and my jig rod is half in the water.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:52 AM »
these things   hot rings   hole heaters   what ever ya want to call em   garbage!!!

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #39 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:44 AM »
The Jig-up. They were all over Ebay last season. I'll admit, I got sucked in. I'd set it up and by the time I get back to my shanty, the thing is jammed up. It's now being used for parts. The flag spring is nice.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Real Weeds - Never attracted a single fish.

HT LED UFO Light - 1/2 the lights don't work anymore and battery cover keeps falling off.

Buzz Stix - First the battery cover broke(got new ones), then the bullet got stuck on something in my sled and I ended up pulling it off the wires. I just use it without the feature I originally bought it for.

Underwater Camera - Spend more time fiddling with it than helping me catch fish. Is it really worth lugging along in my sled?

Now I can't say I've had bad luck with gulp. I've been using the Berkley Honey Worms in Yellow with good success. The yellow seems to work way better than Red or Natural. That's all I really fish with for bait. Problem is that with Gulp Alive on the market, the Honey Worms are harder to find. The "Alive" is way more expensive than a jar of honey worms, also.

Now tools that I really like(They may not be gimmicks):

1) IceGator - Can you say P-O-W-E-R?!!(just a bit heavy though...good thing I don't trek too far with it.)
2) VPG(Showdown) - I have really good luck with it.(Service was/is good, but I think the software upgrades should be free. I don't mind paying for the shipping, though)
3) Clam Ice Anchor system - Although I modified to to be able to connect on any side of my sled.
4) The "Groove" Rod Holders - Clip one to the shanty poles on each side and they are ready to hold any rod.
jbird68

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I bought these minnow last year that were real but had been cured in some kind of sweet smelling s@#%. I think they scared the fish away. Thought they would be great for jigging instead of running to the bait shop. Never caught one single fish that day and threw them away when i got home.  Never remember catching a single fish on the gold swedish pimple either. Something about gold on the panfish i think.

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Automatic JIG-UP...nature vision has to be extremely embarrassed!!!!  Gotta be the worse gimmick ever.  I was so intrigued I bought 3 of them at once.  2 are in the trash and 1 is still brand new in the package hanging up in my man-room as a reminder that I am not as smart as i like to think i am!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I bought these minnow last year that were real but had been cured in some kind of sweet smelling s@#%. I think they scared the fish away. Thought they would be great for jigging instead of running to the bait shop. Never caught one single fish that day and threw them away when i got home.  Never remember catching a single fish on the gold swedish pimple either. Something about gold on the panfish i think.
the gold swedish pimple  works great on trout up here
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:33 AM »
the gold swedish pimple  works great on trout up here

I second the gold and trout!!
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I third the gold pimple lol. Different strokes for different folks. One of those must have's for me. Perch and trout.

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2009, 02:29 PM »
alot of time the underwater camera seems like one....although it does come in usefull on scouting new waters!
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I gotta think any of those so called Slush Inhaler type of contraptions must be a waste of hard earned cash....Who in their right mind would pack a cordless drill....plus the contraption just to skim out a hole in the ice??  We have enough gear to pack as it is....I can better use 50-100$$$ some other way....JMO

Offline ZFK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:15 AM »
I received the buzz stick as a Christmas present one year. I used it one time, decided that it was stupid and put it away. The following season i took the vibrator off, took the switch out and filled around the shaft of the rod (at the handle) with rtv sealant. It has now become a very sensitive medium action rod. To dress up it up i first put some shrink tube around the handle, applied heat and shrunk it down as far as i could around the rod. I have caught plenty of bluegill and perch with it. Im hoping that it will land me a nice walleye this year!

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Real Weeds - Never attracted a single fish.

HT LED UFO Light - 1/2 the lights don't work anymore and battery cover keeps falling off.

Buzz Stix - First the battery cover broke(got new ones), then the bullet got stuck on something in my sled and I ended up pulling it off the wires. I just use it without the feature I originally bought it for.

Underwater Camera - Spend more time fiddling with it than helping me catch fish. Is it really worth lugging along in my sled?

Now I can't say I've had bad luck with gulp. I've been using the Berkley Honey Worms in Yellow with good success. The yellow seems to work way better than Red or Natural. That's all I really fish with for bait. Problem is that with Gulp Alive on the market, the Honey Worms are harder to find. The "Alive" is way more expensive than a jar of honey worms, also.

Now tools that I really like(They may not be gimmicks):

1) IceGator - Can you say P-O-W-E-R?!!(just a bit heavy though...good thing I don't trek too far with it.)
2) VPG(Showdown) - I have really good luck with it.(Service was/is good, but I think the software upgrades should be free. I don't mind paying for the shipping, though)
3) Clam Ice Anchor system - Although I modified to to be able to connect on any side of my sled.
4) The "Groove" Rod Holders - Clip one to the shanty poles on each side and they are ready to hold any rod.
I didn't purchase the Real Weeds, but I did make my own substitute and they definitely hold perch as can be verified by the underwater camera. I do agree that it is easy to carry too much stuff onto the ice, but "some" of the stuff actually does help. I have also made questionable purchases, but sometimes you never know what will work until you give it a good try.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #50 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:35 AM »
I have to agree with the Pack Shack

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Buzz stix caught more fisherman than fish.

Pac shack

Power tower

Showdown

Funny how most of those products are Nature Vision........

I do believe the Power Tower would be useful to someone who had all the gizmos to put into it and didn't use them for anything else the rest of the year, and used it inside of a permanent all the time.  A lot of guys use their flashers and cameras and GPS's year round, and in a lot of cases it's easier to use them by themselves.  This thing is pretty much useless to me at least.

I'd have to chime in on the reel weeds also.  A couple friends of mine drag them things around with them everywhere they go for the last couple of years, and I've yet to hear them say that they make a difference.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #52 on: Oct 31, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I gotta think any of those so called Slush Inhaler type of contraptions must be a waste of hard earned cash....Who in their right mind would pack a cordless drill....plus the contraption just to skim out a hole in the ice??  We have enough gear to pack as it is....I can better use 50-100$$$ some other way....JMO
I don't use my Slush Inhaler with my porty, but I use it and a Slush Box in my wheel house all the time. It sure beats having ice chips all over the carpet melting when it gets warmed up. One product that has me wondering is the Fish Elevator. I have never seen one, but some people swear by them. I haven't lost enough fish at the hole to make me want one.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 09, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Those new hook set tip ups... Idk seems kind of sketchy to me, and at 40. Pop, no thanks i actually enjoy setting the hook. :P

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #54 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:38 AM »
these things   hot rings   hole heaters   what ever ya want to call em   garbage!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Hole heaters!!!??!?!  That is freaking hilarious!!!  Who would buy those???
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 11, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Hole heaters!!!??!?!  That is freaking hilarious!!!  Who would buy those???
Hmmmm... Where do you find 'em?

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #56 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Hmmmm... Where do you find 'em?

Sportsmen`s guide is sold out.  :'(

I wonder if urine works?!?!? After all, often, MOST times,,, it has alcohol in it...  :P
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Now you're onto something. If you start running out of hole antifreeze you have an excuse to drink more.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Now you're onto something. If you start running out of hole antifreeze you have an excuse to drink more.

You just might want to give up biting the line with your teeth to break off the excess....
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:02 PM »
i'm gonna go ahead and say the rope lights. I had a buddy who had a string and the only way it would be functional is if you wrapped the lights around your hole. I'll stick with the Coleman!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.