Author Topic: Ive got a problem.  (Read 2566 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ive got a problem.
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:14 PM »
I fish for northerns with large shiners. They are about 6-8 dollars a dozen. Well, anyways, the area I fish has many pike, but 95% are under 24". and only a few are over. The last time I went, It almost seemed to me that the pike were hitting the bait, then dropping it due to size. What would be a good size bait (shiner) for these 24" or less pike. Would regular do, or should I try bass bait. Is it true that large pike will only bite on large bait? I know that there are some large pike also.
Any help would be great. Thanks guys

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ive got a problem.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I really don't think your shiners could have been too big, I have caught pike that size on 14-16inch baits. More than likely they were just not in an aggressive mood and dropped the bait when they felt resistance. I would try a quick-strike rig and set the hook ASAP next time. You can catch large pike on small tear drops but if you want to catch them consistently you will want to use larger baits. For catching numbers I would use 5-8 inch minnows, perch or smelts and for trophies 12-16inch tullibees or suckers.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:18 AM »
I once got a 8 pound pike on a pinhead minnow I was using for perch, but that was only once.  I usually get those smaller pike on golden shiners that are about 4" long.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:40 AM »
Your baits should be fine, they're probably smaller fish like perch dropping the bait or it may be the hooks. Try using a #10 trebble hook. Also mix up the bait size with half of them a little smaller, then see what you get.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Definitely do something different. I would go with a single # 4 hook, let them run longer maybe. Sometimes they will hit a bait, drop it and come back for it when it is stunned. Have you tried a dead bait presentation? If the pike are feeding near bottom, sometimes I do best with the dead bait just laying on the bottom. When they hit these presentations they usually don't take more than a few feet of line because they just swallow them right away and then just sit there.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:14 AM »
try a winlass,  your dead shiners and a stinger rig if legal in your area :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys. Going to try some new things when I get some nice ice.

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:40 PM »
When this happens to me pike fishing i put smaller bait on because the pike aren't that aggreassive.  just my opinion.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:01 PM »
I have heard that pike like to hit from the side on bigger stuff and when they get there prey stunned they stop turn it in the there mouth so they can gulp it down head first ( no resistance from the preys gill going down the throat)   

any truth to this ??

if so, could that be the problem?

and if it is, should he let the fish run with longer and then set the hook or set hook earlier??

I usually only fish pike on the softwater, I would be interested to know.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:00 PM »
myself i have always used the medium golden shiners my buddy caught a 12+ lber on them already this year and we have been catching some big bass for are area 6lbers my cousin caught a bass last sunday that we couldnt get up our 8in hole in the ice he pulled by hand and still couldnt get it by the time we got the auger to the hole he tried to regrip it and lost it biggest bass i had seen i wish i had the camera on me its mouth didnt look like it could fit up the hole huge bass. next time when i grab the jaw spreaders i will grab my camera.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline redspinner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:08 PM »
how big was the hole ;) ;) :o :P ::) :'( :-\ :-* :)
Give-up worm bed for tent on hardwater belowzero o-so-good

PIKEGUY

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:23 PM »
how big was the hole ;) ;) :o :P ::) :'( :-\ :-* :)

Not big enough  ;D

bigdave1018

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:15 PM »
all pike are highly aggressive and they are like barracuda the way they will attack a shiner or small fish. small pike have no problem attacking a large bait and unlike bluefish, pike hit baitfish to eat. we use 4-8 inch golden shiners and catch all sizes of pike. whats even worse is when the bullheads and bass are feeding and beat the pike to the bait. now thats a problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fallsonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2006, 06:42 PM »
whats even worse is when the bullheads and bass are feeding and beat the pike to the bait. now thats a problem!!!!!!!!!!!
I would LOVE to have this problem!!
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.