Author Topic: Is Grubco a good place to order waxies and spikes from??  (Read 1708 times)

iceman717

Hi everyone, I have been searching the web for the best deal on waxies and i found grubco to be the cheapest with an included shipping charge (15.00 for 500), others were (19.00 and up with shipping included). If anyone knows of sites with cheap prices or good reps please let me know. Also has anyone ever tried a wax worm culture or breeding them. I think that would be fun to try and if i could master it i would be set for bait. Minnows on the otherhand are tough. I usually buy them from a local bait shop  @ 1.25 for a dozen fatheads. I buy bulk and have an aquarium setup to keep them alive. Thanks a bunch -Tom R.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is Grubco a good place to order waxies and spikes from??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:04 AM »
Hi Tom, Grubco is a good place to buy bait.  They stand behind their products and get them to you in good shape.

I always look for a good product, at a fair price, and great service.  Sometimes the cheapest isn't the best but with Grubco the cheap price is matched with quality and service.

Pop

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 04:22 PM »
I started ordering from Grubco, must be 20 years ago or more. They always gave me good service and my mealies and waxworms were always good and lively. I need to order some Mighty Mealies for opening day this year.

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Just today I ordered 1000 spikes from vadosbait.com.  This is the first time I've bought in bulk.  Any thoughts on these?
Craving ice...

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I do not store them in the bag they come in, not enough air.  I used a coffee can for a few years and then found that I could control the humidity better with a glass jar.  I have a half gallon wide mouthed jar with small air holes in the lid.  The big thing is to keep them cool.  I have my bait frig set at 35 degrees and if I can keep them a bit damp (not moist) they last most of the season.

Pop

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2005, 07:54 PM »
I raised wax worms last year and in mho, it's not worth it. They take about 6 weeks to cycle (most of ice season) and then they have to grow up. They are buggers to keep confined when they are little. I found quite a bit of information on raising them by searching on Google. You need bran and honey and a really tight fitting container.

SF
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Grubco is a good place to order things. I got 500 waxies and 500 maggots a few weeks ago and they were in super shape.
      Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.