Author Topic: Mail order bait?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mail order bait?
« on: Nov 03, 2005, 02:03 PM »
Has anyone ordered bait through the mail before?  I am thinking about ordering some waxies and colored maggies by the 1000's, but I do not know how long they will last.  What temp. should they be kept at?  I know the maggies will last alot longer and are more prone to adapting to cold and warm weather.  I had some maggies left over from the last ice trip and kept them in an old coal bin in my house.  I cleaned out the the bin this fall and the maggies had all turned to flies and died in the containers. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mail order bait?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2005, 02:11 PM »
I've gotten bulk waxies and spikes thru the mail the last 2 years. Last year from vados and the year before from grubco. I've only had a few dead ones when they arrived and they lasted throughout the entire season. Just be sure to store spikes around 35 degrees fahrenheit and waxies between 50 to 60 degrees fahrenheit. I'll be ordering again this year and will probably go back to using grubco. Try to place your order on a monday so they aren't sitting somewhere for a weekend.
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Thanks, Bean I will check out grubco.   :thumbsup:
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2005, 02:22 PM »
bean, is that Vados out or Minnesota? 

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005, 03:25 PM »
bean, is that Vados out or Minnesota? 
Yes. They both have good bait, but Grubco is closer to me. So it will spend less time in the postal services hands. I went with Vados last year because my buddy I split the bait order with, wanted colored spikes. I found they weren't any more or any less effective than normal spikes.
Ken                                          

Luke Ice Walker

« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2005, 07:51 AM »
I order bulk bait from my local shops.  I just pre order it ahead of time.  Ask what his bait turnaround time will be and plan accordingly.  Let them know what you can get it for by mail and they should be able to be competitive.  This keeps the local guy going and you get what you want.  Who know's they may start  carrying your favorite bait. 
Many shops won't order you a handful of red ones and get stuck with the rest, if you take them all they have none to be stuck with.   The shops bait dealer may not regularly carry what you want but they can get it. 

Saves me on shipping by mail, I know that much.   

Later,
LIW

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2005, 11:56 AM »
Grubco.com is my choice. Have used them many times and they have even replaced bait when it did not arrive healthy.

Offline nailbender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer tastes so much better on ice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:16 PM »
where is vados located do they have a web site?
If there was no ice I would shake the dice and see if my portable sled worked as a boat

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:30 PM »
http://www.vadosbait.com/

I just ordered some spikes from vados about a week ago.  I've never ordered bait online or got bait in bulk before. 
Craving ice...

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:07 AM »
This is the second year I ordered bait through the mail.  I order from Ja Da bait company.  1000 spikes for 11.75 and free shipping, thats tough to beat.  They come in 500 packs so if you go in with another guy like I do, there's no sorting.   I don't order waxies in bulk because their harder to keep than spikes.

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:12 PM »
Actually you have to add 50 cents if you want them  divided in 500 packs.  Sorry about that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.