Author Topic: Bait prices  (Read 3923 times)

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
Bait prices
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:15 PM »
What are you guys getting hosed per dozen? My local theif is selling shiners for 5.00 a dozen  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
At this rate, i will be spending more on bait than gas  ::)

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Bait prices
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2005, 05:45 AM »
shiners i trap myself but see them going for 3-5 dollars per dozen . depending on availability and how late in the season...$5 is a bit much considering the season hasnt started yet. suckers i get for 55 cents each at the beggining of the season and close to a buck by the end of it.

mikepike you should make the caption under your avatar say...

I caught you a delicious pike!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:36 AM »
Depending on size of the shiners my shops sell  S, M and L. Large being the most expensive at about $4-4.50 a dozen. You can get small ones for $3.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:09 AM »
I have not checked live bait prices this year.  I am guessing that live bait like shiners and minnies that need to be delivered by truck will be more expensive this year due to the gas prices.  I am going to order my maggies and waxies in bulk this year from a wholesale distrubutor.   
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Our bait prices went up with gas. The bait dealers are charging the bait shop owners more to deliver. Thus the trickle effect is occuring. I would like to trickle on the bait dealers.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:40 AM »
I guess I must be one of the lucky one's. I get all my minnow's out of the stream's around my house ;D. I do buy waxies and maggots but they are cheep.
        Jim

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 11:29 AM »
I would trap my own shiners, but there is no natural stock of shiners anywhere. I can get normal chubs and stuff, but only for pike.

Billditrite- I'll do that  ;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:57 PM »
lmao what a hoot!! i love napolean dynamite!!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2005, 03:19 PM »
I know one thing, I will be doing more to keep my bait alive between trip this winter, than I have in the past.  Might have to start getting tropical fish at the pet store if this keeps up.  I bought a dozen Comets for my pond for $1.50, this summer. 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2005, 09:17 PM »
i dont know what theyre going for this year but smelts last year were 7.50 a doz. !! good thing my father gets em' for us at his shack. we got a old freezer with a comercial pump in a back room that stays at 40f so they stay alive for months.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I live in Iowa. $2.50 a scoop for med-fatheads 12-20 in a scoop.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Emerald and/or golden Shiners here are $4/doz.  But the only thing I would use them for is pike and usually catch my own suckers and creek chubs with a casting net if I'm going to go pike fishing.  Fat Heds are still pretty cheap.  A little over $2/scoop which is usually at least 2 doz.  Night crawlers are $2/doz most places but I can get 2 doz. at walmart for like $2.75, problem is that our Walmart is in the exact opposite direction from most all of my fishin holes.  During Ice Fishing season last year they also had waxies pretty cheap, I can't remember how much but they were cheaper than the other places in town.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:27 PM »
3.00 per dozen but they count at the pet store- nice 4in shiners though

i have one bait shop with tansk in the back that is open 1 or 2 days a week where if i go in and ask for more then a dozen he takes me in back and scoops a HOLE netfull out of the big tank and dumps um in the bucket (half shiners half water) for liek 5 bux

shiners wholesale at about 2-5CENTS per fish.... more you buy the cheaper it is for the stores

they just mark up unreasonably like the gas prices do.... find a good guy and see if you can buy 300+ for like 20 bux

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:36 AM »
i  griend of my son,s works at a bait/sporting goods store.  shiners $5 a dozen goldern shiners $8.50 a dozen if they can get them

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Last year for medium shiners it was $4.00/ dozen and $5.50/ dozen large shiners
Hope the prices stay the same as last year.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Checked a few bait dealers last weekend(Southern NH/Mass) - seems like every thing else bait prices are going UP. Average price seemed to increase 1.00/doz
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Seven bucks a dozen here in Montana.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:59 PM »
I trap most of my own bait.(shiners) When it comes to spikes,Mealworms and waxies I purchase those online at a fair price.
Spikes 1000 @ $ 8.50
Mealworms 1000 @ $5.00
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline vermontpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 41" 21lb
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:14 PM »
1.50 each for smelt last year.
chock it, pull it twice, if it dont start your out of gas.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:55 PM »
wow. I guess Im gonna be poor
Med Shiners = 5.50 dozen
Large shiners= 6.25 - 8.50 a dozen!

Minnows

Perch Bait.............$.93   dozen
Bass Bait..............$2.80 dozen

Pike Bait...............$5.50 dozen

Large Pike Bait......$8.00 dozen

Suckers............... .$7.50 dozen

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Large shiners(or what "they" call large), 5-6 inch..8.75/dozen.......I miss the old days of large bait being 7-9 inches....big suckers $1.00 to $1.50 each...in the 9 inch range...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:27 PM »
where i do most of my piking, i go up a few days b4 season and catch my own wild shiners using size 12 hooks and spikes. i just look for the swirls and usually they are either goldies or baby sunfish. i gear down using 2 # test or less and the goldies fight like smallies and are fun to catch. i use a weight forward bobber and a long rod for maximum distance because 9 times outta 10 the goldies are real spooky. cast nets are out unless you blind net after dark.before i pay the baitshop prices, ill catch or use small perch. in most of the baittanks, perservative is use to keep the bait alive and i think for that reason, wild shiners work the best. jmo.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:07 PM »
pike bait - $9 a doz
won't mine paying if they were all 5-6"
1/2 are usually in 4" range
can buy larges for $4.50 a doz
thats why I catch creek chubs :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I know I am gonna get crucified for saying this but...I am a bait dealer in Canada.I wont say the name as I am not on this site for advertising purposes.Ihave been a fishing addict for 30 years and got into the bait business about 7 years ago.I cannot comment on the U.S. pricing but I can tell you that I dont make a whole lot for the work I do.It is very expensive to ship , the power for the coolers is crazy , containers, and oh ya...I havent paid myself yet. I used to think bait was expensive before I got into it and its scary to see how much work goes into it compared to what you get out.People have to remember that if may be easy and inexpensive to catch bait for themselves but these businesses have to provide for thousands and pay for the expense of doing so.

There are days that I may do great trapping but dont forget that there are days when i spend 600 bucks and 18-20 hours of my time and trap next to nothing.I cant speak for all bait dealers but as for myself...I work hard and try to keep the lowest prices I can.I dont want to be hosed on bait prices either and sometimes we just cant win.If we say no to a supplier because the price is too high customers get mad because we are out of stock.If we buy the stock they are mad the price went up.  I love what I do and if any of you have any suggestions on how I can improve please give your suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:19 PM »
RumbleF..I know it's not you guys, the end sellers, it the guys farther up the line.  My crack about what "they" call large bait isn't your fault, "you" guys are paying for what is called large bait also....

I sympathize with you on the siutuation, having the inventory loss, etc,...and maintaining low margins, I used to be in the retail gasoline bisiness, I know what was being made on a gallon....the money wasn't being made by the end sellers, it was being made by the refineries and the ones selling to the end supplier, but I caught all the grief anyway....I feel your pain....Esox....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.