The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Holiday Harbor  (Read 4632 times)

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Holiday Harbor
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Going up with a couple friends March 8-10 and looking for some pointers.

This will be our second trip up there. We went a couple years ago but still didn’t have power augers so were hand drilling through 28 inches of ice.. needless to say we didn’t take full advantage of the situation  ;D

Now we have a couple augers, a flasher and a 2 more years experience with us so wanna do it right.
One of my goals is to catch a decent pike on a jig rod.. thinking a largish spoon with a half a shiner on it but open to suggestions if anyone has em.

Also, what depths would be best then? I’m assuming the edges of the shallows would be the place to be as they stage up for the big orgy? I’m sure Bruce will steer us the right direction but looking for input.

Last time we were getting them along the drop off in 12 ish feet of water but that was mid February.

I know a number of folks on here go up there so if you care to share your experience I’m all ears.

Excited isn’t even the word for what I’m feeling.   :tipup:  :tipup:

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Holiday Harbor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:37 PM »
I'll be up there the same weekend.  We usually run long lines of tips from shallow to deep and then adjust from there depending on the action.  Dillenbeck bay is just up the road and is a good option if things are slow at holiday harbor.  Bruce is excellent at pointing you in the right direction with some local knowledge.  just hope for good weather!
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:50 AM »
Fish away from Bruces up north near Missquoi and you'll do a lot better.  Avoid large groups and the well known spots and the fishing is usually unreal.  I was up there (not bruces, slept on the ice) last weekend and found lots of good water being ignored.  Going back up Saturday.  Found most of our pike in 5 to 8 fow.  Jigging pike I use the same thing I use for lakers.  36" mh and a jighead and paddle tail of some sort or rattletraps, ripping raps, stuff like that.  Patience and lots of hole hopping will be needed or just jig perch and eventually youll nail one! 

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Dillenbeck gets pounded hard on weekends form now until the ice is gone. Agree with Jon. If its not fishing well in front of Bruce's head North. A lot of water up that way. I'm heading to Bruce's 2/21 for 5 days. Will post how we do.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:55 AM »
here's an idea, find an area where you are getting pike on the tip-ups and the use the Finicky Fooler with your jig rod. You fish with the bail open and still get the fun/challenge of setting the hook. I was in Tupper NY 3 weeks ago and was using 10 of them between the 7 of us and it was so much fun catching on the Foolers. They happen to have a great sale going also. I use 2 or three every time I fish now.

Here's a pike on a fooler

https://finickyfooler.com/

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:03 AM »
here's an idea, find an area where you are getting pike on the tip-ups and the use the Finicky Fooler with your jig rod. You fish with the bail open and still get the fun/challenge of setting the hook. I was in Tupper NY 3 weeks ago and was using 10 of them between the 7 of us and it was so much fun catching on the Foolers. They happen to have a great sale going also. I use 2 or three every time I fish now.

Seems expensive to me.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:26 AM »
They are much cheaper than the automatic fisherman or jaw jackers. these seem to be popular here and good tip-ups are 30-40 dollars. They are only worth it if you like reeling in by hand on a rod and reel but are a blast. The owner Tom is a great guy and he is going to sponser on the Shanty next year.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I don’t think I’ll be buying any foolers before the trip but might see if I can rig up a couple in the shop.. I like the idea.

If things are slow at bruce’s we’ll definitely go exploring a bit.
Looking at an area off south hero that might be good for cold water species if we feel like some variety.
My guess is we’ll be goofing off in the shanties the whole time but we’ll see how motivated the rest of the crew is.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:51 PM »

Had a little time to fiddle around tonight so came up with a test version. The trigger and rod placement are going to need some tweaking but the damn thing works!

Gonna take it out tomorrow and see if I can get something to try it out on.

Thanks for the idea... wouldn’t have pursued if you didn’t mention it.
(First try at posting pics so bear with)

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:52 PM »
It worked!
(Pardon the messy shop)

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:53 PM »

Offline Fishfortoday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:25 PM »
I just got back yesterday from a great trip up to Holiday Harbor. There was about 18-20 inches of ice behind Bruce's and we were able to drive right out onto the ice with our trucks. I fished over by the Christmas tree for a couple of days and had some good luck. I caught 7 Pike in 2 days, ranging from 20-30 inches. Caught them all on tip ups, with steel leaders. I had a couple set up with quick strike trebles and the rest large single circle hook. Be careful with the flouro leader if your main goal is Pike. I witnessed a few bite offs over the weekend. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Nice job.  Went north of Bruce's Saturday and had a rat pike fest.  100 flags, 40 pike landed largest maybe 35". Made for a busy day. 

Offline Fishfortoday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Nice job.  Went north of Bruce's Saturday and had a rat pike fest.  100 flags, 40 pike landed largest maybe 35". Made for a busy day.

Thanks! The bite was on last weekend. My sore legs are reminding me today but worth every second of it.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:53 PM »
I just got back yesterday from a great trip up to Holiday Harbor. There was about 18-20 inches of ice behind Bruce's and we were able to drive right out onto the ice with our trucks. I fished over by the Christmas tree for a couple of days and had some good luck. I caught 7 Pike in 2 days, ranging from 20-30 inches. Caught them all on tip ups, with steel leaders. I had a couple set up with quick strike trebles and the rest large single circle hook. Be careful with the flouro leader if your main goal is Pike. I witnessed a few bite offs over the weekend. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great time!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Be careful with the flouro leader if your main goal is Pike. I witnessed a few bite offs over the weekend.

Steal is real baby! I've been preaching it for well over a decade.

Fun Trip   :tipup:

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:47 AM »

Yup.  Last trip I ran steal and snelled 25# floro.  No bite offs with single hooks!  Then again they were mostly rats.  Ironically one didn't outfish the other.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:51 AM »

I've never caught a pike on steel leader but have landed pike up to 18lbs on fluoro.  I'm sure I'll lose one on fluoro eventually but I'd rather the opportunity to lose one than not get a flag at all. 
westernmas on the finder

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I fish steel on dead baits and mono on live.

Only ever lost one pike to a bite off on mono - and I would tend to say that’s what I prefer (more action, I feel)

But there’s no doubt when my dead bait flag goes off, I am much more confident with a steel rig.

Both have advantages/disadvantages.

Like with so much in fishing, I personally think whatever you feel more confident in is what you should go with.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:05 AM »
I've never caught a pike on steel leader but have landed pike up to 18lbs on fluoro.  I'm sure I'll lose one on fluoro eventually but I'd rather the opportunity to lose one than not get a flag at all.

First off, fish what you have confidence in.  Don't listen to me or any one else.

That being said, I get your philosophy of more flags but 1: I am not convinced one out fishes the other, particularly with larger fish, and 2: I'm in it for the trophy, I've caught plenty in the high teens and a few that broke twenty but I'm still hunting that monster and I could not stand the heart break if he bit me off at the hole. 

I have seen heavy duty flouro separated by Pike more times than I can count and that includes a half dozen members here on the shanty.  I just wont take that risk.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:24 PM »
I have seen 80lb floro chopped 2x.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2018, 01:29 PM »
First off, fish what you have confidence in.  Don't listen to me or any one else.

That being said, I get your philosophy of more flags but 1: I am not convinced one out fishes the other, particularly with larger fish, and 2: I'm in it for the trophy, I've caught plenty in the high teens and a few that broke twenty but I'm still hunting that monster and I could not stand the heart break if he bit me off at the hole. 

I have seen heavy duty flouro separated by Pike more times than I can count and that includes a half dozen members here on the shanty.  I just wont take that risk.

Were you out on the cove on Sunday evening?  I got there at like 4 and fished until 11.  Was hoping to possibly get a walleye or night time pike but we didn't get a flag.  We jigged up some massive gills and a couple decent crappie though.  It was a fun evening until the gf lost her phone down the hole.  She lost it in 2 feet of snow on LG the week prior and found it.  You'd figure she would learn her lesson and be more careful.  I guess the phone just wanted it to end.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2018, 01:45 PM »
At least she was fishing with you Pat! 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2018, 02:02 PM »
At least she was fishing with you Pat!

Yeah she's been a trooper so far this year.  She hadnt never been fishing outside of a couple of times as a young child.  After the first time couple traps she took over baiting and setting her own tip ups and taking the fish off the hook, outside of those nasty pickerel.  I get to tango with those slippery SOBs.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Dillenbeck gets pounded hard on weekends form now until the ice is gone. Agree with Jon. If its not fishing well in front of Bruce's head North. A lot of water up that way. I'm heading to Bruce's 2/21 for 5 days. Will post how we do.
How’d it go? Ice holding up okay?

Offline FREEP82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 617 STRONG
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Ice is going quick! You should probably call ahead

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:40 PM »
access areas are getting killed. bring a plank. They need a cold stretch to tighten things up.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:27 PM »
That’s what I was worried about but more or less expecting. We’re not headed up till the 8th and looking at the forecast things won’t be any better.

Did he still have the shanties our toward the bay or were they in close?

Any tales of fish glory?

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:56 PM »
That’s what I was worried about but more or less expecting. We’re not headed up till the 8th and looking at the forecast things won’t be any better.

Did he still have the shanties our toward the bay or were they in close?

Any tales of fish glory?
Shanties were out when we got there. I rented one the 1st day. He pulled all the shanties off by saturday. They are off for the rest of the year now. Fishing was slowest we have seen. We did get several though. Not many rats for our group this year. Well at least by Champlain standards. My biggest was 9.7lbs. We might do a day trip in March if the ice holds. Did that 2 years ago and iced over a 100 in a day. A lot of driving but well worth it. I got to upload from my phone to Postimage.org and I'll put up a post with a few pictures. Did not take a lot this year.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Might go Saturday Jeff.  Last trip it took me 25 hours from leavung to getting back home.  Snowstorm slowed me a bit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.