Author Topic: Night Time Fishing Tips  (Read 25333 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Night Time Fishing Tips
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Does anyone have any good tips for night time fishing? Mainly for Crappie and Bluegill. I have never had much luck at night, need some tips...
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

surflizard

Re: Night Time Fishing Tips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Glow lures and Glow plastics made a big difference for me !

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:33 PM »
My tip would be don't even bother going out after dark. That's when the fish go to sleep ;)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Glow lures and Glow plastics made a big difference for me !
X2 - Crappie seem to like Red Glow near me, JamminJigs Neon Tiger and a KJB Tri-Tail in Glow. A Red glow Diamond or Wolfram with a KJB Hummer tail in Glow did a number on 'gills and some nice Perch last winter. Well worth the effort and catch better fish than are caught on the same lake during the day

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:04 PM »
eliminate light!!! very important at night, use a red light to see the rod tip/springbobber and avoid allowing it to go down the hole. the crappies and gills go NUTZ for me from sundown till around 10-11pm!!! but when theres light around me my fish rate is cut way down. good luck, stay warm, and leave some for the rest of us!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:03 AM »
ha ha I will try. Thanks for the info guys. I usually use glow at night, seems like a good idea, but I like the no light idea I will have to try it out this season. Due to my schedule this winter its going to be a lot of late Friday night fishin.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:00 PM »
the key i learned to night ya have a small light centerd by holes spiraling outward and i start fishing far away and move closer as the evening feed begins, then back out as it slows. day or night i mainly use glow flutter style spoons that i make myself. the slower the drop on a small spoon and you cant even get it to the bottom 10 feet down for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours       the bite!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I typically don't catch gills at night.  On some lakes, it's a night bite and the crappies turn on.  On other lakes it's a day bite and everything shuts down as night approaches.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Biggest tip I would say is have some lights outside your hut.  I use the flashing red bicycle lights on 4 sides.  YOu want to be seen by the snowmobiles going 50 plus mph!
I keep it dark inside, just the showdown light or a red light on my headlight.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline SLIK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:47 AM »
Been doing alot of fishing the last few years at night. 2 years ago picked up a headlamp off the snap on truck. It's a streamlight that uses green Led's. Snapon sales guy told me it's the brightest light that's why they use it for night vision?!?!? Who knows, salesmen eh. For regular uses it works alright. For gutting moose at night during the fall I prefer white light. But on the ice the green kicks ass. Way easier on the eyes. I find the white leds on the ice is a lil too bright for me and I used to use a red headlamp codriving for night time rally races and found I had to squint alot. The green is a just really nice dull light against the ice and snow that works quite well.
And as far as turning your light off. I agree with turning off your regular white headlamp, definitely noticed a difference. But haven't noticed a difference in fish biting with the green one on or off.
Also if your using glow in the dark bring a second flashlight for charging the hook. The white led works best and don't use your headlamp. We hole jump alot and in between holes when charging the lure i've had a couple stumbles that almost were disastrous. Hook in the snoz would suck!
Hockey and Icefishing...two sports that involve dropping the gloves and kicking ass

Offline gloveless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Sorry no advice just acouple ?s. Never tried nighht fishing but this year might give ita try just to do it.
Did anyone notice if it makes a differents when it's cloudy or when the moon is shining?
Another one is does the phases of the moon make a different? What would the best phase to night fish with?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Gloveless, a little reading material for ya.

http://landbigfish.com/astrotables/default.cfm

http://midcurrent.com/science/the-pressure-myth/

http://midcurrent.com/techniques/you-can-do-something-about-the-weather/

Good stuff, but I am thinking the weather forecasters for Anglers are guessing as the Doctors do with why a persons back isn't fixed after a surgery.
I will just continue to go fishing and if I get skunked I will blame it on myself.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I think the same way, Lefty, just go when ya can, it's all good, fish or no fish. The skunk hat fits me well, ha.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I think the same way, Lefty, just go when ya can, it's all good, fish or no fish. The skunk hat fits me well, ha.

I agree, My hard water season is too short to begin with.  If I only went when to moon was right, or the weather was  cooperating I might as well give up icefishing all together.. Ain't going to happen !!    90 % of my time on the ice is at night.  By the time I get off of work and get to the lake it is nearly dark..  Never caught a bluegill after dark icefishing, but crappie bite seems to turn on pretty good. 
One thing I will suggest, If you are using tip-ups after dark.. Invest in some decent tip-up lights, you wont regret it.  Nothing like a "bonus" walleye while your jigging up some crappie !!

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:47 PM »
usually only catch walleye in a hut with bright on

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:40 PM »
I can't get out alot of nights unti lafter dark or close to it. Any night in a shack is better then sitting at home watching tv.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I can't get out alot of nights unti lafter dark or close to it. Any night in a shack is better then sitting at home watching tv.

Yep, I agree !!!

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:11 PM »
eliminate light!!! very important at night, use a red light to see the rod tip/springbobber and avoid allowing it to go down the hole. the crappies and gills go NUTZ for me from sundown till around 10-11pm!!! but when theres light around me my fish rate is cut way down. good luck, stay warm, and leave some for the rest of us!!!!
I would have to disagree. I feel that the light brings the fish in. when ever I drill a new hole, I will leave the lantern right next to it for a few minutes before I fish it. The same way the 'GLOW' of a night jig will bring them in.

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Intresting post guys thanks for all the good info!  I use to do really well at night for crappies but now I moved to a higher elevation area where we have all trout species some kokenne salmon pike n muskies Anyone have any tips for fishing these guy @ night? Or is it not worth it? Thanks guys
Dont be Skunked

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:27 AM »
Our state does not allow us to trout fish at night.  Musky season is closed.  Pikes, will bite at night, but are rare to come by.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.