Author Topic: Underwater Cameras: Are they worth it or a waste of money  (Read 7872 times)

Offline skifisher05

• IceShanty Rookie
I have been fishing hard water for a few years now and am finally considering getting an underwater camera.  I already have a vex but I was hoping a small handheld camera would be a little more versatile for hole hopping.  Any suggesting, opinions, or preferences on kinds would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater Cameras: Are they worth it or a waste of money
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:34 PM »
A few seasons ago I purchased a used AquaVu Micro. About the size of a smart phone and I can easily carry it in my jacket pocket. I use it primarily to check bottom structure and if I have kids out with me, or someone new to ice fishing, it's a ton of fun to let them watch huge schools of perch! Other than that, I don't use it for jigging or watching bites, etc. Definitely worth the $100 if you can find a used one though.  :tipup:

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:06 PM »
X2
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline willywilcox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Worth every penny

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:42 PM »
When I first got into ice fishing, I was able to purchase a used jiffy auger and a fish TV for $100. Knowing this was a steal, I took advantage of it. The Fish TV worked well, I could see the bottom pretty well and see fish and even see my lure pretty well. If I was able to keep the camera on my lure, it was a blast to watch fish come up to it. The issue was keeping the camera on the lure, I would find my self constantly trying to adjust the camera. If a fish got on, it would sometimes tangle up in the camera line. Sometimes I thought the camera cord would scare fish away. However just like Wyoutdoors said, if your checking structures, taking kids fishing, or introducing someone to fishing, it is worth it. Also its nice to see your jig presentation.

Offline alanderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Bought a new vexilar and hardly use my lowrance other than shooting through the ice to check the depth and structure. I have greatly increased my hook sets,get to see the fish's reaction to the lure or bait,can adjust my presentation to trigger the bite,or leave it sit. I have also found it really handy for eliminating the small fish from wasting my time by reeling up,and even use it to find larger fish or schools since the smaller ones hang together. Last but not least,if you don't see any fish after 15 minutes of spinning it 360°, you need to move.

Offline tlcinmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:29 PM »
My underwater camera is a hoot to play with, once it is pointed in the right direction.

Offline naterdame

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:11 PM »
The camera is fun but to me not worth the $, although iif I had a better one it might be different, it doesn't show much in deeper water (past 15 feet) as its dark, pain sometimes setting up and adjusting, and makes me less mobile. Now if I had a permie, then it would be different.

Offline steveice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I never go without my flasher, but I often go without my camera.  The camera is great for certain species and lakes. I find the camera a waste for crappie fishing and any dirty water lake, or deep water, or at night etc.

However, some lakes such as a clear water perch lake, you may be better off with just a camera. If you can see everything down there, there is really no need for a flasher once you get set up. The camera is also good when you are fishing in weeds or large boulders.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:22 AM »
post cold front crappies or bluegills a properly positioned camera can make the difference between catching fish and seeing marks on your screen all day with no bites.  The camera helps find the mud/sand/gravel transitions on or near structure, and it helps determine what species I'm marking, which is a big help on lakes with carp in them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I would say a camera can be a tool or a toy depending on who is using it. When I'm searching a large flat for perch I don't drill a hole, drop a transducer in and see some type of fish on the sonar. I drop a camera and see what species I'm looking at. Saves me time in the end and the mini cameras are great for this. They require about as much room in my pocket as a jig box.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jh3666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:32 AM »
I have found that my camera works really well for finicky crappies and bluegills.

Offline djdj113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:00 PM »
I purchased a camera several years back, used it a few times and now it just sits in a box in my basement.  Seemed like I spent more time trying to get it to set right, etc and less time catching fish.  Could have been ID10T error on my behalf though!!! :)

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:05 AM »
I don't have a camera but I have used them when I'm with friends who do. They can be fun and helpful when identifying structure and what not but I would say over half the time the water clarity wasn't good enough to use them. If you can find a deal on one I would go for it otherwise I can't justify the money for them. However, if you have a problem with dropping stuff down your holes, they can definitely come in handy lol

Offline Keng8554

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I just bought a Marcum Recon and can't wait to use it. If anything they are fun. But it's nice to see what species your sitting on top if the bite is slow.

Offline Tommerhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:22 AM »
agreed

Offline shanley26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:59 PM »
My dad picked up an aqua vu 715c last week.

Offline eagleblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Going where the Eagles Fly.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:37 PM »

how did it worked?
If Jesus can walk on water than so can I!

Offline shanley26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Depends on water clarity but it is easy to use and is fun to watch. He got a tripod as well but hasn't tried it yet.

Offline mattschu1021

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:26 PM »
I really like taking the camera along when I have one of my kids fishing with me.

Offline whisker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:15 AM »

I have the 715c and like it. The bigger unit may be bulky but the bigger picture is awesome. Last winter on Lynn I watched a "nice" muskie swim around the camera for a good 8-10 minutes. I couldn't get him to take a bait,.... but it was an amazing sight.

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:01 AM »
I bought the c-fish a couple of years ago, great for kids and pan fish.  Had a nice trout wrap around the cord, so I would say for targeting bigger fish I would stick to the flasher..

Offline CoJak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:42 AM »
What is the best 'medium' priced underwater camera.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:24 AM »
What is the best 'medium' priced underwater camera.

One that switches from color to black & white, and has infrared capabilities.  Best bet is to go to a store that stocks multiple models and compare the specifications and prices, and take into consideration the size and ease of use in regards to your type of fishing.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:48 PM »
 I bought a camera last year and love it.  I don't use it every single time I go out but it has come in handy many times.  If you are hole hopping, and on the move it is not very convenient but if the fishing is really good at one location it is awesome to drop the camera down there and watch the school swimming in and actually biting your jig and it keeps my 8 and 10-year-old boys a lot more interested!  Was fishing on a lake north of Webster this past weekend and the fishing was very slow, there was a lot of shacks set-up  around the general area but from what I saw and talking to people there was not very many fish being caught.   I knew there was an old Road bed that was underwater but no one else seem to be able to find it,  I drilled 15 holes and started dropping my camera down each one and found the old Road bed 20 yards from my location and moved my sled.   That's all it took, went from three hours of fishing with five perch and one walleye on the ice to 20 perch and 4 walleye on the ice within an hour!

Offline sheepboy10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I was never a believer in having a camera until last weekend in Mobridge. I have always thought a flasher was all I would ever need. My brother bought a Marcum pancam that sends a wifi signal to your phone or a tablet. Nothing was biting all weekend. We were able to see all kinds of walleye and we found out why they weren't biting. Lots of shad swimming through all day. We were in 34 feet of water and had no problem seeing with the camera. The nice thing about the Pancam you can drill your hole and set it up outside of your shack and it shoots the signal over wifi to your device. It also has a built in Panner that is run from your device.The ipad was allot bigger screen to look at versus normal cameras. The price on the pancam isn't too bad on Amazon either because you aren't paying for the small tv screen. I liked it so much I bought one right away on Monday.

Offline Bigpauly03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:29 PM »
I find my vexilar to be way more versital when moving hole to hole to find fish.  I do have a camera that's a lot of fun to watch when you find a sweet spot.  It's a bonus when they are biting really light because you wait to see the hook disappear in their mouth before setting the hook to early.

I think sonar is a necessity, cameras are more of a luxury (But they sure are fun to watch when you're on fish)

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:46 PM »
I would never go without at least one of my cameras. 

Entertaining and educational.

Offline fishnomad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:51 AM »
Thanks to  this thread I ended up with a Recon 5+.  Ilike it for the couple times out with it.  Ineed to work on setting up a mount, and better spooling system than the small one provided.  I do like it doesn't take up much space.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.