Author Topic: Just got back from big stone lake  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
Just got back from big stone lake
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:15 PM »
6 friends and myself went and got a couple sleeper shacks on big stone lake this weekend. We're all from northeast Iowa so it was a little drive. We've been going to Mille lacs last 5-6 years but never had much luck there. We did pretty well on big stone. Probably averaged 20 keepers a day. We actually had a fish fry where people could eat more than 2 filets of fish lol. Caught some nice jumbo perch and some monster bluegill. 2 10inch bluegills. Biggest I've ever caught. I'm new here so don't bash me too much. Seemed like gold and firetiger tungsten worked the best. Caught some on spoons too. Stayed at Artie's shacks. Not bad but cramped for 4 people in one cabin. We stayed in the new ice castles they got where they have couch in back of trailer. Poor setup. We wish we had the big 4 man booth so we could play cards of something.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Just got back from big stone lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the report. Which part of the lake were you operating out of? Heading up there in a couple weeks!

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:21 PM »
We were about 3-4 miles north of ortonville. If you have 4 people staying in a sleeper I'd highly recommend getting the sleeper shack that has the big booth and not the leather couch. You lose the camera but it has more room. We were pretty cranmed in there.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Thanks for the info... We actually have a cabin on the lake. We'll be running and gunning during the day.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Nice. Hopefully it's not a Green Bay packers one. Might of got peed on a couple times lol.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:48 PM »
i take a summer trip up there the last few years. love that area! walleye and pike fishing can be very good as well.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:07 PM »
There really isn't a walleye bite at all in winter. We saw 1 pike on camera. Didn't look very big. Artie's seems to say it was more of a winter place than summer. I guess it's really weedy in summer.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:53 AM »
There really isn't a walleye bite at all in winter. We saw 1 pike on camera. Didn't look very big. Artie's seems to say it was more of a winter place than summer. I guess it's really weedy in summer.

In my experience, you have to go further north on the lake for more consistent walleye fishing in the winter.  find mud/rock transitions, especially if the water is a little dirtier.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.