The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Looking For a good Perch lake  (Read 3964 times)

Offline ICE PIRATE

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking For a good Perch lake
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Hello,
     Any one find any jumbo Perch lately?

flockshot

Re: Looking For a good Perch lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:05 AM »
lol. well if you talk to the bait shop owners..alot of being caught on st.clair. lol. but in truth its been very very very very slow.

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Man what an original idea ask a fisherman to tell you the truth about anything. LOL
I'm just kidding it's like every where you have to find them, it seems that the fishing has been sporatic every where. Good luck
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:19 PM »
 :tipup: Caught some perch at lily pond in nh.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Hello,

They are in LSC, but you'll have to sort.

From Livonia, your best bet would be Metro beach at the East end of 16 mile rd.

Get out to the 15 fow area, long drag. Best if you have a machine.

Good luck, if you go, let us know!!!!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:34 PM »
lol. well if you talk to the bait shop owners..alot of being caught on st.clair. lol. but in truth its been very very very very slow.

That's about the sum of it, when you ask the locals, they're never biting, but the bait shops tell you they're hitting these, and those and you might want to try these too.  The best source I've found for the what and how is the CO's.  My cousin works for the Genesee County Parks Division, cites poachers etc.  I ask him where, what and how were they catching them.  Unfortunatly he hasn't been too busy with that yet...just food for thought. :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Yes I went through that Sunday. The guy at the bait shop told me they were biting everything good on St. Clair. We drove to a few spots and talked to the people leaving and they said they couldn't find anything until we finally went out and fished and didn't catch anything until dark. Even before dark on the ice we saw some guys walking by us to go in and we asked if they had any luck and they must have been locals because they said no and were really vague on all of their responses. Saying they caught only small ones only on minnows and not even to try where they were.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline ICE PIRATE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:45 AM »
   Thanks for all the help, I think I will try Kent lake or LSC. I will post a report
         Thanks Brent

Offline USMarine1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Definitely LSC

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Try the deeper spots in the pond along Hines Park Drive near Five Mile and I think it is Merriman. This is where the diver died a few years ago. It is close to Cherry Hill. Next to the golf course that was just remodeled five years ago or so. It starts with an H I think? Hawthorn Valley?
Also, a nice sm. Lake south of eight mile and at the end of Novi Rd. Surrounded by apartmens.

Good Luck

Offline ICE PIRATE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:55 AM »
 RL,
   You are talking about a Lake. I fish it alot in the summer. Some Trophy fish in there. I will try it a few mornings next week. I target Pike at that lake. Thanks, Brent

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:57 AM »
RL,
   You are talking about Newburg Lake. I fish it alot in the summer. Some Trophy fish in there. I will try it a few mornings next week. I target Pike at Newburg. Thanks, Brent
Brent,
We try not to NAME lakes, as they may not remain trophy caliber for long. I even stretched it giving you the landmarks that I did, but I wanted to help you so you don't have to drive so far. You may want to go back and edit the names and give it a letter or number designation, like Lake N2.
Good Luck.
Name dropping Great Lakes or larger bodies of water is not as bad, but N2 is a small lake succeptible to over fishing.  ;)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Do you guys eat those fish out of those lakes?
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Brent,
We try not to NAME lakes, as they may not remain trophy caliber for long. .  ;)
If the lakes havn't been over fished by the people that fish them and talk about them at the bars odds are pretty good they are safe out here.  I name lakes any time I talk.  With out that I could say ...this one lake n Clare county has great gill fishing.  Now you could drive around and waste money on gas hitting all of clare's lakes and never find it, then again  you may find a new honey hole.  My point is telling somone that there's good musky fishing on Bud lake isn't going to hurt.  Now telling them the lat and long of your honey hole may be pushing it..lol :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Did great on lake st clair today with the perch, you just have to move around until you find them

saw tons of jumbos today
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline chef eric

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Hello,
did very well on st clair friday afternoon and saturday avg caught 7-10''

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:54 AM »
If the lakes havn't been over fished by the people that fish them and talk about them at the bars odds are pretty good they are safe out here.  I name lakes any time I talk.  With out that I could say ...this one lake n Clare county has great gill fishing.  Now you could drive around and waste money on gas hitting all of clare's lakes and never find it, then again  you may find a new honey hole.  My point is telling somone that there's good musky fishing on Bud lake isn't going to hurt.  Now telling them the lat and long of your honey hole may be pushing it..lol :tipup:
Hello....If the lake you name is about 20 acres in size, it can get wiped out, especially if it is one of the only lakes available for miles.
You go ahead and drop names all you want, I doubt you will get much coop from others due to your lack of consideration to those that would be willing to help someone. Names are ok for larger bodies of water, but small isolated spots will suffer. Just look at the read count for this thread to get the idea..

Offline ICE PIRATE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:37 AM »
    Hello all,
   Had a bad weekend of fishing. Went to Lake Chemung Saturday afternoon, I drilled about 30 holes and moved about 6 times. I could see a few on the vex but they would not bite. I did see someone catch a small eye on a tip up. Sunday afternoon went to Wamplers hit all my regular hotspots till 9 pm. no fish. Talked to several other regulars out there with same story. I am going to try LSC off Metro Beach Tues or Wed. Looks like there is some action out there in the canals. It will be my first time out on LSC I will report when I return
  Brent

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Hello....If the lake you name is about 20 acres in size, it can get wiped out, especially if it is one of the only lakes available for miles.
You go ahead and drop names all you want, I doubt you will get much coop from others due to your lack of consideration to those that would be willing to help someone. Names are ok for larger bodies of water, but small isolated spots will suffer. Just look at the read count for this thread to get the idea..

I can respect that, even if I disagree with you.  Most of those small 20 acre hot spots are only felt to be hot spots by the locals.  It happens every where.  I myself have a few spots that I'll keep to myself, but I'll let people know of the lakes themselves.  I won't give you directions or lat and long to the weed bed I fish, etc.  With the sport of fishing and hunting back peddling I feel that the more peole that get on the water and enjoy it, the better the long run.  Today there are less peolpe fishing, less people the kill that lake.

Ok now off the podium.

This last week end was great for perch.  I fished the channell on the east side of Mott Lake east of the first big island.   Minnows were the ticket.  I was using a teardrop and fishing a 15 foot pool...most of the channel in that area runs about 8-10 feet....so punch holes and look for depth.  I fished the shallower reas...no luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.