The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Barry, Allegan and Kalamazoo County  (Read 5177 times)

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Barry, Allegan and Kalamazoo County
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I am talking to all the guys who want to go fishing and land some slabs.   I have been been B.S.ing with all the guys at work.....at the bait shops....etc.  And from what I am hearing ....fishing is slow.  In Barry county I fish Gun, Cloverdale,  Fish, Buck, Horseshoe, Tamaraque and Pine lake.  In Allegan County I fish Big and Minor lake.  And in Kalamazoo I fish Indian lake.  Help a joe lunchbox guy find some fish. Any post would be a big help .

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline cedarshack

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Barry, Allegan and Kalamazoo County
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:45 AM »
I live by Green lake in Caledonia , Havent seen much action , And a couple of guys on Duncan Lake off 108th but they had no luck either. Going up to Cadilac Next weekend for a day on Mitchell. :D

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Went fishing for specs and bluegill on Pine Lake.  I caught 4 fish....off of boniface point.  I fished from 3:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. The temp was -2 farenheit.  The fish I did catch were mostly on a white jig with a red eye.  It was cold and my partner b***hed all morning.....but I had a good time.  You have to do something to get rid of the cabin fever creaping up on me.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:11 PM »
oh ya, almost forgot....the ice was only about 4 inches of clear ice, followed by 2 inches of white ice, followed by 3 inches of slush/snow mix.  The slush made the walking and dragging a shanty a pain in  the butt. 

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:36 AM »
In Austin Lake they are getting perch in 8' of water.  In Little fish and Little Paw Paw they are getin' some gills also...i know the info. is vague...but that is all you are going to get from me.  Good Luck!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Gun lake is giving up some fish.  Pike etc.  I found that the gills are close to bottom.  I think it has something to do with the weed kill off and they did earlier this year.  I saw a few snowmobiles out there too.  But I am not saying it is safe for snowmobiles out there.  I remember a buddy of mine took some guys out on Gun Lake to snowmobile anddink around.  It was the first time these new guys had ran on Gun Lake.  So they followed around behind my buddy for a while to get a feel for the area.  Finally one of them got cocky and decided to lead the way.  He ended up going out to robin's bay which usually freezes last on Gun Lake.  This noob didn't know that.  Anyways, My buddy stopped to watch this noob cruising towards robin's bay.  The trail behind the sled went from a nice powder of snow to a rooster tail of water :o. lol The noob ended up giving her hell and getting it to shore.  But i bet his A$$ puckered for a minute.... ;D

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:36 PM »
I am thinking about going for perch this weekend...does anyone have any suggestions?  I want to stay in Barry, Allegan or Kalamazoo county. Any input is appreciated

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Oh ya you guys that veiw this...post something sheesh.....all 202 of ya so far common, this won't work until everybody chips in with there 2 cents :P

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I have caught some decent perch on Sugarloaf, in southern Kzoo county.  Just east of 131 on shaver.  haven't been there yet this year.  hope this helps.
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:40 AM »
Oh ya you guys that veiw this...post something sheesh.....all 202 of ya so far common, this won't work until everybody chips in with there 2 cents :P
Tibby in Allegan did good a couple weeks ago cold last weekend didn't make it out.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Get used to it, lurkers everywhere just wanting info. Many of us would post if we fished those waters, or (more than likely) send a PM with specifics.

Offline 26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Wish I had info to share. Been out a few times without much to show. I have been on Bristol, Mill, Tilotson and Gull. Caught one pike on Gull and only a few gills on the other lakes. Going to try and get on gull in the morning.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Intend on spending 4-5 hrs checking a lake basin for some Kazoo Cty Perch tomorrow. Will report on what was seen. Where?.........Nope. ;) 

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:43 PM »
LOL it is not to hard to figure it out...but don't worry I won't tell...lol  I heared of a little action down there..I work with some pipe fitters who were down there last week.  They did so, so.

Offline kazoobiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2007, 01:57 PM »
hello all
Been fishing Sweet,Emerson,Schoolsection few good ones here and there but not killing them.

As of last weekend all the snow we got made the ice a bit dangerous on the lakes in Van Buren and Allegan counties.

A buddy of mine went to Cedar but didn't do very good this week.

Later

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Was out from 10 - 2, Perch fairly active after 11, and lost a couple Crappies hitting it on the way down as well. They were on the soft bottom areas in 20'-22'. Jiggin Raps would pull them close but wouldn't take it. They prefered a Wolfram in the LadyBug color with a red wedgee on the back thumping bottom, think they're into the worms in the muck. Also took a few on a Wooly spike jig I make. Caught ~ 30 most were ~ 7", took home 8 - 9", let an 11" back showing signs of eggs. Under water camera does help, saw all but 2 take it, lt. spring bobber never twitched but it was a bit windy.                

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Well I broke down and took a day off of work.  I will be ice fishing tomorrow in barry county.  I am going to try to hit a few lakes if possible.  And I am fishing for whatever is biting.  I will try to post tomorrow evening for all of ya so you can make your strategy forthe weekend.  Thanks everyone for posting info so far!  Keep it up and maybe we all will be able to find a mess of fish ;D

Offline kazoobiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:17 AM »
anyone know if they are getting 4 wheelers through the swap to get to little fish??

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2007, 06:34 PM »
Well today I tried fish lake in BARRY COUNTY.  Got out at 4:30 a.m.  I fished in 30-37 feet of water.  I was trying to target perch or crappie. All I got was blue gills.  About 12-14.......slabs that is......hogs...  The best times of day I had were, 5:00-7:00 a.m. and 2:00-3:00 p.m.  The fising was slow, but the quality of the fish was worth it.  Marcum fish finder...$360......Clam Pro ice shanty.....$264.......being comfortable enough to fish all day.....while catching slab bluegills.....PRICELES S!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I limited out on 8" plus...slab gills today.......I would like to write more...but I gotta clean fish tonight guys... ;D

Offline Tadman6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Try some night fishing on Gull Lake the south end is active, that is if you like fishing for Smelt !!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:42 PM »
Talked in to hitting a 40 acre Kazoo Cty lake by a couple of friends at 10AM. Kept 6 - 10" Perch, 4 - 8" 'gills, 4 - 10" Crappies and released ~ 20 combined by 12:30. Crappies and 'gills were nailing it 6' - 8' down in 15' of water over weeds. Friends caught nothing sitting on their buckets in the cold wind. Nothing like sitting in a Scout watching a MarCum LX-2 and a UW camera smoking cigars and sipping hot chocolate. Perch were hitting so soft that the spring bobber never twitched but watching is where it's at. They wanted very small offerings, 2mm chrome (chart, glow & red - nope) Wolfram and only a single white (not red) spike, not moving at all. If it wiggled more than a quarter inch they'd move off - AKA no wind hitting the line. They'd investigate larger, flashy baits but would only stare at it, range 2", sometimes for 2 minutes. UW cameras are amazing and highly recomended to have at least for Perch. Have a Cabela's Advanced Angler viewing system - $180, worth every penny.   

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:11 PM »
On Saturday Feb. 10, 2007 I limited out on some 8"-10" bluegills in 37 feet of water.  Before it got light the hit on a #10 moonglow jig.  During the day a "bobbers down" jig....I think #16..in a tiger striped color.  the fish hit SUPER light after daylight.  In the morning from 5:00-7:00 they just slammed the bait.  I fished FISH lake in barry county.  There were 20 other guys on the ice.  There were several that caught a few pike, and as far as the gills...everybody was catching them...but one every 30-40 minutes...they were biting light...so if you had no shanty it was hard to see the bite.  Did anyone take my advice Friday and go out there????   I also hit pine lake in allegan county sunday.  I fished in only 6'of water.  I caught a dozen or so off of Boniface point.  I only kept 6 though.  I also caught a 18" bass ...that was fun on ultra light tackle!!! ;D  I had  a little talk with him and let him go  ::).  I hope everyone posts there success and failure with everyone in here.  I will be coming back with more info. on other lakes as I talk to guys at work and hit up my friends at the bait stores.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Punched my first hole at 6AM, fish everywhere. Caught a couple dozen crappies and a few 'gills in 15' of water before first light, problem - nothing close to even 6" :%$#!:. Moved out to a 20' deep weedbed with an old sunken shanty ~ 8AM, fish everywhere. Lowered camera and the big boys were there until noon, problem - couldn't get 'em to touch anything. Must have made a change of jig size, color and bait every 10 minutes, very slowly lifting the bait was the only thing that even made them a bit curious. They just basically watched and were still there when I left, little guys were very tentative themselves but took another 20.  Had a huge Northern move thru between my camera and jig, rather interesting. Right place, wrong time today, probably went nuts around 2PM. Oh Well, still had fun :thumbsup:.

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Does anyone fish Swan Lake in Allegan??
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:19 PM »
Ya I have fished swan...not this year though...I have acouple of buddies going out there this week.  I used to fish that lake alot in high school with Jack and John Danes.  It always seemed like we caught a bunch of small ones....anyway...I will pass info. along if I hear anything...should be later this week when I hear about it...maybe thursday or friday.  .....Hey were have you all been fishing?...I have heared a few guys sound off on this page.  I appreciate everyone's info.  I personally haven't strayed from my favorite lakes to fish  any mentioned on this sight yet.  Has anyone tried FISH lake in barry county yet?  Ah well.....sound of if you have a pair and let everyone know how you are doing fishing.  Some of us can't get out during the week.

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:18 PM »
I don't live up there.  I fish Alomost everyday down here in NWI when i get a chance.  If you ever come down here let me know and I'll let you in on a couple of my spots.  If you guys keep me posted I Would appreate it!!!!!  ;D
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I'm not all that fond of having to go Micro but had to this AM. Was out just before first light, close to the access on a little plateau in 17' of water. Wasn't sure about the incoming weather so decided to be where I could get out quick, if needed. Perch were there resting on the bottom but not interested in standard approachs. Decided to try 1# test and #16 & #18 heavy baits (Marmooska, Wolfram and Diamond Jig) with a single white (smallest) spike. That was the ticket, color didn't seem to matter but size and bait did. They wanted it no more than 3" (1" was better) off bottom and not moving in any way shape or form. Thank God for a shelter and UW camera or none would have been caught. Hitting light would have been an understatement, they simply would open their mouths, take it in and sit there until I felt like setting the hook. Ended up catching 11 (8 1/2" - 10 1/2") by 9:30. Not going to be able to get out again until Saturday, maybe. Have fun, keep it safe.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:16 PM »
That is exactly how I caught my limit of fish this weekend.  You need to have everything in your arsenal when you go out fishing.  I usually have to throw on a few weights on my line, to fish super small jigs.  I even used the spikes,,,I always use spikes if I can.  I am a firm believer in having a shanty to fish in...cuzz ya need to see the bite...and you can't do it when the wind is blowing much.  I also know for a fact that flashers(no matter what brand they are ::))  work...and put you on more fish.  Man I am glad that you got into em'  As for the guy in Indiana....If you are ever up here I will let you in on some of my spots to :) Until then I wish you the best of luck.  I have been talking to alot of guys this week.....and everybody is catching a few...but NO BODY HAS LIMITED OUT ...yet.  Most of em' have been fishing in 8' to 10 ' of water.......Everybody like myself, and the guy that just posted before me, have caught very decent sized fish in the deeper water.  I limited out last weekend......and Lord willing will do it again this weekend. ;D  I have been enjoying picking up discount ice fishing gear too this week.  Gander Mountain...Meijer....a nd Dick's sporting goods have been slashing prices steadily.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Have seen, with the UW camera, that little fish will hit your sinkers, sometimes hard. Could explain some of those taps with nobody there. I will admit to HAVE used flyfishing type micro shot but not anymore, unless I absolutely have too. Whats new? Thankful for small tungsten based baits instead of light weight tin ones. Back down quick, deep and still small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.