New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cheapers Creepers  (Read 3327 times)

Offline gmuddle

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cheapers Creepers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:55 AM »
 :)     Another vote for Katoolas-micro spikes.  Bought online a couple of years ago.  Never going back to cheaper creepers.

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:05 AM »
I been wearing the  same  pair  of korkers  trout steelhead  bass and ice fishing for  at least 20 to 25 years ...one of my best investments!

if  your smart   buy 2 or  3 pairs of  cheap ones   and  carry in your stuff....  you will be loaning a set to a friend or selling a set to someone that doesn't  have any
Great point Trapper. I had an experience a few years ago where everyone had to get off the ice quickly. There was a gentleman that was having a tough time staying on his feet on the slick ice. Luckily I my buddy left his creepers in the sled and I was able to assist. I recently purchased a pair yaktrax for this season and now keep my old pair in the sled just in case someone forgot their's. Anyway I'm liking my yaktrax.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:07 AM »
I have the yak trax run that have the Velcro strap to go up over the top of your boot. I have yet to have them slip off
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:10 PM »
I will put in a big YES for Katollas micro spikes. Not the cheapest ones out there but, I am getting around on two titanium hips and cannot afford to take a spill. A few weeks back the parking lot at Chapmans was an ice rink and I could do jumping jacks. The only bad thing is they are really tough to drive a vehicle with them on  :o :o, lets just say I will never try again. They really grip! 

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:38 AM »
These are a very similar build to the kahtoolahs and much cheaper. I've been using them all season and no complaints. I've kicked holes open without thinking and they've held up just fine.

Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips with 18 Spikes for Walking, Jogging, Climbing and Hiking (Black, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWNGR92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_q3RyCbVX9KVS9

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:52 AM »
Yaktrax have always worked well for me. I have the diamonds and the ones that are basically springs around rubber. The springs work on bare ice but lose traction if caked with snow. I have no complaints about the diamonds. I think they cost about $25.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline eyetalian stallion

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stand back! I am a professional
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Sheet metal screws screwed into your lugs. Been using them for years.
rocky boots with folding spikes,some self tapping half inch screws,and off to the races....

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:03 PM »

I have been using these for the season and have no complaints so far. I had to walk on concrete a few times and the metal held up and did not bend.

I have both kathoolas and a pair of the amazon knock offs....The knock offs far exceed my expectations for the price and they work just as well as kathoolas.  I'm interested in how long they last. 

Tip: Be sure to keep them warm under the car heater on the way to the lake if you need to put them on when you get there.  This goes for both pairs.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Mtnd777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:34 PM »
I've used the cheap ones with no heel spikes for years cause they're the only ones I could get on my Mickey mouse boots. One of them finally broke so I may get another pair and put self tapping screws in the bottom of one of them

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:47 AM »
I bought a pair of trans Alaskans and put in kold kutters racing screws  , for my lacrosse I have an 11 year old pair of micro spikes that are still going strong  , I order another pair this year and sent them back as the quality didn’t compare now they are made else where , so eagle claw or hill sound get my vote

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I have both kathoolas and a pair of the amazon knock offs....The knock offs far exceed my expectations for the price and they work just as well as kathoolas.  I'm interested in how long they last. 

Tip: Be sure to keep them warm under the car heater on the way to the lake if you need to put them on when you get there.  This goes for both pairs.

Nailed it.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I had the Eagle Claws for 3 years. They worked great and I still have them but the points have rounded off from 3 years of using them to snowblow my steep paved driveway. I just ordered these from amazon because they come in XXL and have 19 spikes. The Eagle Claw had only 8 spikes. New ones are gonna be used only on the ice.https://www.amazon.com/Uelfbaby-Crampons-Traction-Protect-Walking/dp/B079FQGGB6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=12Y46WR04HKC3&keywords=ice+cleats+for+boots+men&qid=1549934697&s=gateway&sprefix=ice+cleats+%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-9

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Eagle Claw got  my vote a few years ago, bought XXL and stretched them over size 13 ice boot.

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:09 PM »
I had the Eagle Claws for 3 years. They worked great and I still have them but the points have rounded off from 3 years of using them to snowblow my steep paved driveway. I just ordered these from amazon because they come in XXL and have 19 spikes. The Eagle Claw had only 8 spikes. New ones are gonna be used only on the ice.https://www.amazon.com/Uelfbaby-Crampons-Traction-Protect-Walking/dp/B079FQGGB6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=12Y46WR04HKC3&keywords=ice+cleats+for+boots+men&qid=1549934697&s=gateway&sprefix=ice+cleats+%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-9

These are exact ones I have been using. They are awesome.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:27 AM »
These are exact ones I have been using. They are awesome.
Good...sounds like i made a good choice  ;D

Offline icehook17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:27 PM »
When u find ice cleats for my 15 boot let me know  ;D

Kahtoola XL fit on my size 16 boots

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Just broke my Arctic Spurs today....had them almost 30 years...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:02 PM »
rocky boots with folding spikes,some self tapping half inch screws,and off to the races....

I have heard that recommendation before but then lots of people say they come out.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Another vote for katoola microspikes
They work great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.