New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: First time you used a depth finder for ice fishing on Oneida  (Read 629 times)

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
I cannot confirm the year but is seems like it was 1989 when I purchased a Micronar FL-8 Flasher for ice fishing.  The name Micronar proceeded Vexlar but seems to be the same depth finder. I purchased it from Leech Lake Fish Company in MN.  It came with a plastic box to mount it too that held two 6-volt batteries for the power source. No ice transducer either, just a transom mount transducer that I had to rig to use for ice fishing. Been using it since then.  How old is yours?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First time you used a depth finder for ice fishing on Oneida
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:10 PM »
I would guess around 1991. It was an Eagle Ultra and we used it in the boat too. I didn’t use it on the ice but my dad did. He rigged up the skimmer with some PVC.

He used it for perch back then. If I only knew how useful it really was for walleyes!

I can remember fishing with Rick from Apps and he used a paper graph.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:26 PM »
I got ya both beat.  In the mid 80's I bought a lawrance green box to use in my little 12' boat at the time.  Little did I know ,as time went on the bright idea came to mind that I could use this new piece of tecnology to ice fish. It literally changed my world.  I don't use it much any more, but when I get the opportunity to fish a remote lake in Quebec all I need is a few batterys and were good to go.  It still works as good as new.
      I'm sure someone can go back before the mid 80's      lets hear it guys

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Did you use it on Oneida Lake?  If not disqualified, only joking.  I remember the Lawrence monochromatic flasher in a green box.  I think my brother had one on his little boat back in the 1980s. I do not remember him ever using it on the ice.  If I remember correctly the flash was an amber color.  I am sure it gave you an advantage over the rest of us just fishing blindly.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Did you use it on Oneida Lake?  If not disqualified, only joking.  I remember the Lawrence monochromatic flasher in a green box.  I think my brother had one on his little boat back in the 1980s. I do not remember him ever using it on the ice.  If I remember correctly the flash was an amber color.  I am sure it gave you an advantage over the rest of us just fishing blindly.
   You're spot on with that description and YES  I did use it on Onieda   and if I'm not mistaken , that was the first place I ever used it. I was as confused as I was thrilled   Wow what good times I can remember by visiting this site   Thanks everyone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.