New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Trout - Leave a spot or Stay?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: Lake Trout - Leave a spot or Stay?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2021, 10:51 AM »
When the certain lake has 30 foot visibility you can keep your snap swivel there isn’t many applications in fishing now a days where that much hardware infront of your lures is justified

micro swivel wont give you any issues with the right length leader. all my rods have a tiny swivel on them ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Those micro swivels stop spinning very quickly after being used a few times. Personally they are not for me.  Do I get line twist occasionally, yes but only in the leader and nothing that can't be spun out before the next drop.  Certainly hasn't effected my catch rates...

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:36 PM »
micro swivel wont give you any issues with the right length leader. all my rods have a tiny swivel on them ::)

But not a snap and swivel right on the lure eye to give the fish something to see, that’s you know who style, the salmon king self proclaimed, A.B.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Those micro swivels stop spinning very quickly after being used a few times. Personally they are not for me.  Do I get line twist occasionally, yes but only in the leader and nothing that can't be spun out before the next drop.  Certainly hasn't effected my catch rates...
[/quote

Probably should be switching them out more than i do. i never have any issues with my uni-uni knot for leaders so not sure why i ended up using the micro swivels as much as i have.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:32 PM »
It makes the tackle companies happy Zach!  I'm not 100% anti swivel.  I use them in salt.  I learned that a large striper can pull the braid right through the leader on an Albright or crazy alberto...specifically if the leader is flouro as it folds and makes a crease.  Hasn't been an issue in fresh water...yet.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:29 PM »
It makes the tackle companies happy Zach!  I'm not 100% anti swivel.  I use them in salt.  I learned that a large striper can pull the braid right through the leader on an Albright or crazy alberto...specifically if the leader is flouro as it folds and makes a crease.  Hasn't been an issue in fresh water...yet.
The improved Alberto has solved that problem for me for the most part but the Alberto gets beat to piss casting in my guides all night n becomes frayed up and weak

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:58 PM »
I get my balls busted for using swivels all the time.  Spro loves me!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:47 PM »
The improved Alberto has solved that problem for me for the most part but the Alberto gets beat to piss casting in my guides all night n becomes frayed up and weak

Big bass larger than 40lbs can break that.  I use to super glue all of those connections. 

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Big bass larger than 40lbs can break that.  I use to super glue all of those connections.
I still super glue some connection when on the beach or use knot sense even, my eeling cows on the boat have never popped that knot on the straight up and down it definitely gets weak casting with it mainly my bottom fishinf knot now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.