New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Trout - Leave a spot or Stay?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Trout - Leave a spot or Stay?
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Something that I am interested in learning more about is how everyone decides when it is time to pack up and move or be patient when you are fishing lakers.  This is always a difficult decision for us and many times we end up second guessing it.  I know there are a lot of very successful lake trout guys on here and interested to know some of your thoughts on this.  I only get out for lakers a few times a season, so just been trying to fine-tune things to up the catch rate.  Also, I release them, so no worries about taking all the fish.   

Baseline info I think that I know (but could be misguided)...  Peak feed periods (sunrise/sunset), fish should be more active on top of structures in a bit more shallow (relative to the individual structure depths).  After that it seems like they hang out deeper more relating to the basin and break walls.  Do you fish the steep walls or the gradual shelves that lead to the structure tops?  Do you go to a spot and hang out all day with confidence that fish will roll through eventually or move until you see consistent marks?  Been finding that the fish rarely stay at a spot (unless you are on a bait feeding massacre by chance), but they do roll through periodically.  Maybe a few every 30 minutes in most cases.  Is that normal, or should we be looking for spots that refresh faster?   

If you prefer to PM, that is fine.  I tried to keep it a bit vague to not upset anyone....

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Lake Trout - Leave a spot or Stay?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Move till I find some fish and then slow down and work an area. The only time I ever end up staying in one spot is if I am fishing at night. If I don't see fish in 3 or 4 minutes it is time to move. If they are around you most often find out right away, it is the same when we are jigging out of a boat in open water... I know others will park and wait and that is fine for them, but not for me, and whenever I am fishing in a group 90% of the time I get more fish.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:08 AM »
I like setting up well before dawn and fishing that spot through day break and then go hunting. Being quiet is important a lot of fish get caught before
sunrise. A flat off a big break can be a great spot as they come up to feed. Find flats in deep water off much deeper water never know what will show up.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Sunrise I usually stay put as it sometimes seems fish can be everywhere once 9 hits I’m in the hunt usually find the bait and find the fish usually getting them to bite after they’ve seen lures all season can be a different story

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 01:46 PM »
It depends.  I've screwed myself moving when I should have stayed and the other way around.  If the lakers have full bellies and are puking that's a definite stay.  If I am marking multiple fish, that's a stay.  If the screen is dead for a half hour that's definitely a move.  If someone sets up to close, that's a move.  If I am bored and want to explore I'll move.  Or if I catch 1 or 2 really quickly at each new hole I'll keep moving. 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2021, 03:13 PM »
This is a very interesting topic for me as well I’m curious about. I’m far from an avid lake trout fisherman but I do love chasing them 3 or 4 times a year on ice.  Iv done well in the past at the bottom of sharp drops but on the other hand iv done very well in spots that have no structure what so ever even close in say 120 fow or so and no pattern to the depth either. Makes me have to assume there is a food source near by. Iv done good at dawn and dusk a lot but once again last time I went i fished all morning with barely even a mark then iced 5 from 10am-11am then shut right down. Definitely got a lot of homework to do on them this off season

Offline conesusguysouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2021, 03:49 PM »
if im marking fish every 15-30 mins ill usually stay in one spot, no action for an hour or so move on until you mark some  :tipup:

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:16 PM »
^^^
what  they say   ;)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.  Appreciate it very much.  I think we were a bit tentative to move off of unproductive grounds and we should have searched a bit more for a better bite.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:08 AM »
i'd go looking for perch myself

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:19 AM »
i'd go looking for perch myself

HAHA.  When they start to grow to 72# I will be all over it!  All kidding aside, I do like catching perch too.  If only we could get those sheeps to bite.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Actually looks like they got an 83# in a gill net on Great Bear Lake in 2017.  :o

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Actually looks like they got an 83# in a gill net on Great Bear Lake in 2017.  :o
A 83lb laker? Great bear lake in Canada now this thread is getting interesting

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:36 AM »
i thought he meant perch  :o

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Let's all start stocking Nile Perch!!!!

Fishmon

« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:20 AM »
I usually target some spots I want to try and keep moving until I find them. Try not to stay in one location unless you see some activity. If they are slow to bite or glued to bottom, I will try a  vibrating type lure to see if I can get them to investigate or chase. I think the vibrations drive them nuts.  Then I drop down a jig with swim bait and hopefully get them to attack.  If you see two or three on your screen, hang on tight! The ones I have caught and released recently are loaded with smelt or ciscoes.  If you find them in shallower water like up on a perch hangout, they will absolutely hammer whatever your drop down there.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:37 AM »
I was trying an underspin jig when they were sluggish.  They loved the look of it on the fall, but had zero interest in chasing it up and would not eat it off the bottom. That day there was a storm though, so I assumed they were just "barometrically challenged".  Could not understand why they would not chase that jig.  It looked dynamite.  I would have eaten it.  :)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:58 AM »
I was trying an underspin jig when they were sluggish.  They loved the look of it on the fall, but had zero interest in chasing it up and would not eat it off the bottom. That day there was a storm though, so I assumed they were just "barometrically challenged".  Could not understand why they would not chase that jig.  It looked dynamite.  I would have eaten it.  :)
I’ve also tried underspins with little success as well on the lake your talking about but guys do fish them up north, the past week week and a half fish have very inactive maybe in a winter duldrum late February but maybe they are just sick of people the vibrating lures definitely get attention and piss them out the size 7 rippin rap or vibrato are always in my Arsenal and have caught a few fish for me couple trips ago 

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Both my buddies were getting them on Jiggin raps, but the hooks were too small and a bunch came unglued.  We were on smaller fish though, so maybe something with more weight would have stayed pinned. Does everyone use braid to fluoro wind-on leaders?  I was doing well with 8# mono, but tough to set the hook with all the line stretch. Reel and pump!!!!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:51 AM »
I love Wind-On leaders, but I have not seen any down in the 8lb range. I make them myself often in the 30lb and up and have bought them in the 20lb and have caught many lakers with them.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Both my buddies were getting them on Jiggin raps, but the hooks were too small and a bunch came unglued.  We were on smaller fish though, so maybe something with more weight would have stayed pinned. Does everyone use braid to fluoro wind-on leaders?  I was doing well with 8# mono, but tough to set the hook with all the line stretch. Reel and pump!!!!
Wind on leaders? I use them for tuna that’s a little ridiculous for lakers next we’ll be using holo core! I’d just tie in a section of floro or fish straight floro little less stretch than mono have to reel thru the bite and load the rod and tad to crack them regardless try a uni, Alberto Albright or fg even my favorite for even line diameters is a blood

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:59 PM »
i don't think i would be good at lake trout ice fishing .....first i hate fishing i like catching and second i don't want to count a limit with one hand....i better stick with panfish  but i like the pictures and stories

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:22 PM »
i don't think i would be good at lake trout ice fishing .....first i hate fishing i like catching and second i don't want to count a limit with one hand....i better stick with panfish  but i like the pictures and stories
Hey trap when you get to 10 in your count do you have to take your boots off? 🤨🤨🤨 lol
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Wind on leaders? I use them for tuna that’s a little ridiculous for lakers next we’ll be using holo core! I’d just tie in a section of floro or fish straight floro little less stretch than mono have to reel thru the bite and load the rod and tad to crack them regardless try a uni, Alberto Albright or fg even my favorite for even line diameters is a blood

Yeah I meant just a longer top-shot for some stretch.  Not a wind-on....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:04 PM »
Hey trap when you get to 10 in your count do you have to take your boots off? 🤨🤨🤨 lol

:roflmao:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Does everyone use braid to fluoro wind-on leaders

You asked I answered...

I use Wind-Ons for tuna also but they work great for all kinds of applications... Sufix Wind-On 100% Fluorocarbon Leaders come as light as 20lbs. Stronger over time and I can loop it off my bimini any time.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:19 PM »
You asked I answered...

I use Wind-Ons for tuna also but they work great for all kinds of applications... Sufix Wind-On 100% Fluorocarbon Leaders come as light as 20lbs. Stronger over time and I can loop it off my bimini any time.

Yes, appreciate the response.  Was not being negative towards you.  Just clarifying I meant top-shot.  I think it would be a great idea on trophy waters.

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:26 AM »
Spool up with p-line flouroclear forget the leader n imploy a good snap swivel. I use 10# and it handles well for vertical applications 😎 Read it on this site year’s ago n never looked back :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Spool up with p-line flouroclear forget the leader n imploy a good snap swivel. I use 10# and it handles well for vertical applications 😎 Read it on this site year’s ago n never looked back :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
When the certain lake has 30 foot visibility you can keep your snap swivel there isn’t many applications in fishing now a days where that much hardware infront of your lures is justified

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:52 AM »
No swivel for this guy.  Not needed.  I rock long leaders depending on where I am fishing.  I don't need a swivel getting ripped through my guides when a big laker decides its time to rip to the bottom of the lake from the top of the ice.  Most freshwater swivels are too cheap to actually spin freely and subsequently provide very little benefit if any.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.