The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: flaming gorge ling  (Read 1434 times)

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
flaming gorge ling
« on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:26 AM »
 :)I was wondering if anyone else has been catching any ling at the gorge this year.  Last year I caught a 17 inch ling throught the ice last year.  I went to the gorge on the bank open water fishin at night on Dec. 3 and I caught a 16 and one 17 inch ling and one rainbow.   then on dec. 10 I caught 2 macks and 2 ling a 17 and a 22 incher,   On Dec. 13 I went down on the ice and caught 5 ling and 2 macks in 3 hours,  then it started to rain and the ice started to get bad so I had to give it up.  The ling the last trip were 12", 15", 16", 16", and 22" inches long.   I called the game and fish office and reported the ling to them as they are trying to collect info. on the ling and how they are progressing in the gorge.  the ling are not what the gorge needed.   The ling limit in the gorge and Fontenelle Res. is 25 a day and they have to be killed immediately.  No catch and release.    They also said that they are looking into regulation changes because of people asking what do to if they catch more than 25 and have to kill them as soon as they are caught.  well happy ice fishing.
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: flaming gorge ling
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:36 AM »
trfishin, I wondered about that too, the ling really are that bad for the fishery because of what they're eating, prey-base wise, as well as small game fish...why not make the reg for as many as a fisherman catches...gotta get em outta there or at least drastically diminish their numbers.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Yeah, the ling are a real problem, but in Big Sandy, I took at 13 pounder outta there last year. Over in Boysen, if they're not about 4-5 pounds, they go right back down the hole for me, but that's a whole different thing from GR drainage, they're native over here and I'll tell ya one thing tr, it's a rough day for an angler who takes 3-plus over here. I've had guys write me for tips on catching them, shuucks, I can't seem to keep 'em off my line.  ;D

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:08 PM »
trfishin , what has worked to catch burbot at the Gorge for you . I hope to finally hit the ice on the gorge this year . Never caught one of those ugly things before . Would a dead minnow work or just a jig work ?
Utah Ice

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Anything dead or alive on the bottom, near the bottom or bumped on the bottom and then...hang on!   Jigs tipped with anything dead or alive... LT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.