The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trying to learn more about fishing in Minnesota  (Read 641 times)

Offline Beasledd

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying to learn more about fishing in Minnesota
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:44 PM »
I am an avid ice fisherman from NY, but I have not fished out in MN or WI.  I am trying to learn how ice fishing may vary in that part of the country.  Do people primarily use portable shanty’s, or do many people use fixed shanty's?  If they use fixed shanty's, do they move them much?  What water depth is considered the average water depth fished when using fixed shanty's?  What are the primary species targeted? What is the maximum ice thickness on a normal year?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Trying to learn more about fishing in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Lots of questions Beasledd. Let me try and throw a few observations out and believe me this is just scratching the surface.

Portables outweigh permanents on most lake by a wide margin. Don't get me wrong, on the bigger lakes permanents are well represented but in between the permanents and all around them portables thrive.

I think most of the outfitters and resorts move the permanents fairly often. I know the private owners of big houses on lakes such as Mille Lacs often pay to get their houses moved. My feeling is that most sit and play the waiting game longer than they should. Many use their permanent for a base camp and head out with portables for serious fishing.

On bigger lakes, fishing depths vary, but 28-35 feet is probably a good guess when targeting Walleyes, especially after the mid-winter fishing gets going. Early on the depths are often less and on most lakes early season will mean shallower water. As the season lingers on the fish move deeper. Then again snow depths often help dictate where the fish call home.

I think Walleye fishing is well represented here. I personally chase pike but that is just me. Different species, different structure types , and varying depths all play a huge roll. Sight fishing is popular when fishing sunfish and crappies. Inside and outside weed lines for pike and walleyes on certain lakes. Mud and sand and at times rocks on others.

Ice can get to 30+ inches by the time the season winds down. Again all lakes are different.
Hope some of my babbling helps. With so many lakes and such a variety of species to chase, the main rule is there are no rules.

If you narrow it down to what you would like to catch and have an idea of the region of the state you would like to fish in, it would help tremendously in giving you better answers. Good luck if you ever come this way. I think you will find most people will try and give pointers and tips if they can.

WS 

Offline Beasledd

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trying to learn more about fishing in Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Thanks for the thorough response, very helpful.  Do you know if many people fish for black crappie and what water depth/cover type/time of day they tend to target? 

When you fish for pike do you try to fish around vegetation/fish cover?  What type of depth do the pike tend hang out?  Do you find yourself jigging primarily or using tip ups?  Do you tend to fish the same locations or do you move around a lot?  How long is a typical pike fishing outing for you?  During that time do you stay in the same place all day or do you move several times?

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.