Author Topic: 3rd Annual Youth Ice Fishing Day  (Read 932 times)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
3rd Annual Youth Ice Fishing Day
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Horsethief Reservoir
 It’s time to go ice fishing!

We are holding the 3rd annual, educational “Youth Ice Fishing Day”. If you haven’t attended one yet, be sure to make it this year!

This year’s event will be held at Horsethief Reservoir. We anticipate some fantastic fishing for Brown and Rainbow Trout..

Check out the details below.

Saturday, January 14, 2012
  The “Youth Ice Fishing Day” partners will have various booths and activities for the kids to take part in.

Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game
Fishing equipment and ice fishing instruction. If you don’t have a fishing rod don’t worry, Idaho Fish and Game will have loaners on hand. They will also show you how to rig the best ice fishing set-up.A FISHING LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED

Helpful Information for the Day
*The University of Idaho 4-H Youth Development Program is partnering with SFW
by providing educational activities open to all participants.
✴ It will be cold and wet! You will need warm clothing and it’s best to dress in layers.   Waterproof Snow Boots are a must!  Sneakers with plastic bags over them do not work, cold feet will make it miserable for the kids. (trust us on this one)
✴ An extra set of dry clothes is a good idea.
✴ Bring a chair to sit in and a sled to pull your gear out on to the ice. You may have to do a bit of walking and trudging through snow.
✴ Sunscreen and sunglasses are always good to have when it’s sunny.
✴ Parking space is limited at Horsethief. Please, carpool as much as possible and be prepared for snow packed roads. A 4x4 or good snow tires is a must. A big “Thanks” goes to Idaho Fish and Game for coordinating snow removal for this event.
✴ This is considered an educational event so a fishing license is not required, but only during the hours of the event.
✴ IJBA will be serving lunch, but since this an open event, lunch will be on a limited basis. Bringing some food and drinks of your own will assure that you don’t get a growly stomach.
✴ If you have your own tackle and gear, bringing it will help make sure there are enough loaners for those who don’t. Extra bait is always good too.
✴ Bring a plastic bag or other container to put your “catch of the day” into.
✴ Please read up on the current fishing regulations that apply to ice fishing. Here is a link to find out more: Idaho Fish and Game✴ Please Google “Horsethief Reservoir” to get directions and information about the location.
✴ Volunteers? Yes, we need you. If you have ice fishing expertise you would like to offer or help in any other way, please contact: [email protected]
✴ For additional questions or information you can email: [email protected]

Safety must be a priority for all participants.  As a result, all youth under the age of 18 must have an adult accompany them to the event.  Participants acknowledge the potential risks involved in ice fishing and activities on ice by their participation.  Idaho SFW and participating sponsors will not be liable for any injury or accident that participants may incur during this event. This is a public event held at a public location.  Therefore, all participants attend and participate at their own risk.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 3rd Annual Youth Ice Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Today was a huge success!
There was an estimated 450-500 people that attended. The crew at Cabela's cleaned over 200 fish and cooked around 150. This doesn't include the fish that folks didn't take to the their booth. IJBA ran out of Hotdogs; they had 400. The bait ran low at the Sportsman's Warehouse booth. IDFG loaned out over 150 rods to first timers. Grubbin' BBQ served over 500 cups of cocoa. The 4-H folks handed out lots of education material. All of the partners really stepped up for this event.
If you were trying to avoid Horsethief because of the crowds then you chose wisely, but you also missed an awesome time.
Tons of kids caught their first fish ever. It was a great day.
You can view some of the photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150480622446577.357410.124444056576&type=1&l=781b217168

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Oh yeah, my buddies that stopped at Tackle Tom's on the way home after the event, said that he absolutely got slammed with business today. I was very happy to hear that. Tom is first class all the way.

Hey Hogger, I saw a ton of those "jiggy things" on the ice today. ;)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:22 AM »
That sounds AWESOME,Glad it turned out to be a good event.Not always a bad thing to run outa stuff,,that just means it was a huge sucess.. WTG to everyone involved that made this happen.. Its all about the KIDS!!!!!    JT

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Oh yeah, my buddies that stopped at Tackle Tom's on the way home after the event, said that he absolutely got slammed with business today. I was very happy to hear that. Tom is first class all the way.

Hey Hogger, I saw a ton of those "jiggy things" on the ice today. ;)

Hey Perch Freak,
Thanks for the report. I really wanted to be up there yesterday, new power auger was ready to drill and serve! Had to work 12 long, cold, muddy hours at the sugar factory. Would have love to be a part of watching the little ones icing their first fish.

"Jiggy things" are awesome by the way...come highly recommended from what I hear...LOL!

Hogger

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Sean what a great event!! I had a fantastic time helping people find enjoyment in ice fishing. The family keeps asking when the next one is, needless to say thy are not happy when I tell them next year. Thanks for the opportunity.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Jon,
I sent a pic to you. Thanks again for all of your hard work that day. The orange vested volunteers put in a hard day of drilling and instructing. It was a big part of making the day successful.
I can't wait until next year either!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.