Author Topic: S.E. Idaho Youth Ice Fishing Day - Feb. 26th Roberts Pond  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
The one at Cascade was so successful this year that the Idaho Falls chapter wants to do a fishing day too. I'm not super familiar with the Eastern Idaho waters so I was hoping for suggestions.
Some of the things we are looking for are:
-Good Ice in late February
-Good Catch rate (quantity vs. quality) gotta keep the kids interested
-Parking area that holds a lot of cars and easy to get to the fishing area

I have been to Ririe and it seems like there is a good hike down the boat ramp to the fishing, but the parking lot is big. What are the usual ice conditions towards the end of Feb. at Ririe?

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Suggestions for S.E. Idaho Youth Ice Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:47 PM »
ROBERTS GRAVEL POND

for sure. tons of perch, a few trout, action only stops when it gets dark, freezes good, and it's not too far away from IF (near rexburg)

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I have to agree. The perch are small but i took my 4 yr old and 3 yr old out on Wednesday to roberts and caught 38 perch and had a nice trout hitting my sons line alot, he never did get the hook set but loved every second of it. Ice is nice and thick and you can park all the way around the pit. Also something to think about, there are at least 2 easily accessible bathrooms without too much walking for the kids.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:23 AM »
Excellent! That sounds like a perfect spot. Are the perch big enough to fillet so we can have the cooking station? That's a big hit for the kids.
Thanks for the info!

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:51 AM »
That would be the only downside. Most of the perch are very small, i'm sure you could fillet them if you had crazy mad skills with a fillet knife but it would be bite size for a 5 year old. I have caught a couple over 6 inches but they seem to be few and far between. But there are some decent planter trout. Every trip it seems that we catch one trout over 10 inches but i wouldnt say that we should bet our whole day on the trout.

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:36 AM »
That would be fun i would be willing to help out when needed
Doug

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:06 AM »
when i went the perch were mostly 6" with only a couple that were 8" still small, but at least edible.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Sounds great guys. When I get more info. on the date and time I will let you know. Any help with teaching kids fishing techniques would be great. We just heard from IDFG and they are on board to make this happen.
I will keep you posted.....

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Alrighty....its going to be at Roberts Pond on Feb. 26th. IDFG is going to be there with loanable gear and to help with mentoring the kids. We plan to have the cleaning and cooking station too. Hopefully some fish big enough to fillet will be caught. We are looking for any volunteers to help.
I will have more details this coming week.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Sounds good, i'm in, spoke to a couple guys and they may come and help as well. Just let me know if there is anything pre-fishing day i can do to help.

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I can help out  just post any pre-event help you might need  :icefish:
Doug

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Alrighty....its going to be at Roberts Pond on Feb. 26th. IDFG is going to be there with loanable gear and to help with mentoring the kids. We plan to have the cleaning and cooking station too. Hopefully some fish big enough to fillet will be caught. We are looking for any volunteers to help.
I will have more details this coming week.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
was wondering if there was any advertising of this event( have a few interested but would like to get the word out)
Doug

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Yes, We will have some advertising starting next week.We are trying to get some more sponsors on board to offset costs. One of the radio stations in town will be announcing it. Sportsman's Warehouse will have fliers up soon. If there are any potential sponsors that anybody might know of that would like to participate please let me know. We are trying to get enough to provide lunch and some prizes for the youth.
I will keep you posted as I know more. Thanks!

[email protected]

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:03 PM »
do you won't a vendor to sell burgers hotdogs etc there???

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Hardtop,
Good question. We would like to keep the event completely free, but if it looks like we wont be able to facilitate free lunch then yes we would want vending there. Please contact me with the vending info that you have. Do you make breakfast? Breakfast burritos are always a hit.
Thanks.
[email protected]

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:38 PM »
what time are you thinking it will start and end???

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:22 PM »
9am to 3pm or later if needed.

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I will talk to a couple friends that have mobile cook shacks and see if they are interested it won't cost use anything will be if they do good fine if they don't fine I'll let you know.

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I have a vender that will pull his trailer up and serve hot dogs hambugers and pop/hot cholate what do you think???

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Alrighty, here are some more details.
We have lunch and hot chocolate taken care of for the attendees. We have a bunch of prizes to give out to some lucky winners. Sportsman's Warehouse will be there with bait. There is also a meeting this coming Wednesday at the Idaho Falls Sportsman's Warehouse at 7pm. Anyone that would like to volunteer for the event is welcome to attend the planning meeting. We need any volunteers that would like to help drill holes, teach fishing techniques, or anything else fishing related.
For further details on the meeting or volunteering please contact SFW Idaho Falls Chapter President: Ryan Clark - [email protected]
or me at: [email protected]
i will post a flier here soon. Thanks!

Hardtop- We will be having free lunch and hot chocolate. Your vendor contact is more then welcome to set up if he still wants to. Thanks.

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: S.E. Idaho Youth Ice Fishing Day - Feb. 26th Roberts Pond
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:37 PM »
just got back from the meeting at sportsmans hoping to see more people there but sounds like it will work out OK. could use some more volunteers. I think they are going to have another meeting next week when i hear back from them i will let you guys know. :icefish:
Doug

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Here is the final information for the Youth Ice Fishing Day. "Thanks" in advance to those Ice Shanty folks who will be helping with this event.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=6kggiadab&v=001s0rRepf3dPaOBtJhmi7Tc0e9Rl0gPjr7K4CYsc-nX0Q2vnAv4IcoP2xIlXQs-Di9QBJpT61-wjyHkqW-tM7Enh9gJvtWkpkMCYFjpkubzek%3D

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Youth Ice Fishing Day meeting Thursday the 17th, 6:30pm at the Idaho Falls Sportsman's Warehouse.
Thanks!

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:18 PM »
went to the meeting the other night and if you want to help out the Idaho Falls Chapter of SFW would like you to be up there around 8:00am to get things set up  :icefish:
Doug

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Remember, that in order to get the free lunch and hot chocolate we need everyone to pre-register. You can fill out and turn your registration in at Sportsman's Warehouse or we can email you the form. Everyone is welcome, but we can only guarantee lunch for those that RSVP. It will be first come first serve after that.
Good news! IDFG is going to stock the pond with 300 trout sometime before the event. This should help get some hot fishing action going for the kids.
Please, get the word out to all those that would be interested. We don't want any youth to miss out on this awesome day of fishing!
Thanks!

Also...there is no license requirement for adults or youth during the hours of this educational event.

Offline jcsns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Do you have sponsor pricing in mind??

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:55 PM »
JCSNS,

This was last years event.
I have submitted the info to the "mods" about this years event on Feb. 18th. Not sure why they haven't put it up.  ???
Anyway, look for a PM coming your way soon.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:25 AM »
If I remember correctly,you sent me a flyer and I responded with ,I cant put up a flyer,you need to type out the details for me and I will gladly out up the info,, JT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.